Author Topic: Rally in Lansing, permit needed?  (Read 6386 times)

Offline Pyzik

• Not a sheep, a wolf or a sheepdog.
  • S&W M&P9
Rally in Lansing, permit needed?
« on: January 09, 2013, 10:24:34 AM »
Some of you may know of a 2A rally taking place in Lansing Feb. 8th.  I have only been to one other rally and that was the SB59 rally down in Monroe with you all.
No one is really leading this rally in Lansing.  It's trying to be a national thing in every capitol.  I have somewhat taken the initiative to spread the word and so far have at least a few people willing to go.

Questions I have are:
Are we going to need a permit like in Monroe?  Like I said, I have never done this before really.
Where are rallies typically held at the Capitol building?  Do I need to use this?... http://council.legislature.mi.gov/files/lcfa/cap_event_and_exhibit_planner.pdf

Thanks for any help!  It's much appreciated!

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 11:33:21 AM »
I'd assume whoever is organizing it is seeing to it.

I'd assume a permit is needed.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Pyzik

• S&W M&P9
Re: Rally in Lansing, permit needed?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 11:37:17 AM »
Thanks for moving it for me.  The guy "heading" the rally is just trying to get people motivated in their own state to organize a rally on a specific date (Feb. 8) so that there is a rally in every state on the same day.

Can you please give me information on obtaining a permit?  Do I need to go to Lansing to get the permit or can it be done via the internet or phone.

THANK YOU!

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 12:05:55 PM »
Thanks for moving it for me.  The guy "heading" the rally is just trying to get people motivated in their own state to organize a rally on a specific date (Feb. 8) so that there is a rally in every state on the same day.

Can you please give me information on obtaining a permit?  Do I need to go to Lansing to get the permit or can it be done via the internet or phone.

THANK YOU!

If you look at the event page on Facebook, there is a thread about our state. In that thread I have a post that mentions the contact information for the person you will need to get a hold of.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Pyzik

• S&W M&P9
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 01:00:12 PM »
Thank you.  I have found the information needed.

I expected to have to pay for the permit.  Looks like I only need to if I want to use their facilities, whatever that is.

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 01:33:55 PM »
Is there any info about a rally somewhere? Is this something MOC is getting behind?

Offline Pyzik

• S&W M&P9
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 01:38:58 PM »
I believe MOC has declined to participate OFFICIALLY at this time.  MOC has scheduled a similar rally in April.

Here is the Facebook page that started the event.  http://www.facebook.com/events/406312512782872/?fref=ts

I guess you could say I am heading the event here in MI.  I posted a topic over at Michigan Gun Owners as well.  I am still waiting to hear back on whether this is something MGO will attend officially.

Currently from the MGO post it seems that I may have 15 or so committed.

I know it's on a Friday but I encourage you to try to attend if you can.  I am taking the day off work to attend.

Offline thorsblood

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 05:17:13 PM »
You do NOT need a permit to have a rally at the Capitol. If you desire to reserve the front capitol steps or any other area of the capitol or lawn you will want a permit. If you will be wanting to use sound equipment provided by the capitol you will want a permit and rental arrangements made ahead of time. However if people want to assemble at will on the capitol grounds or inside the capitol there is no requirement of a permit. Its YOUR building. Carrying weapons is also completely allowed on and in the capitol building as long as they are compliant with state law.
One other thing FWIW. All of the State Capitol Police are completely supportive of open carry. Some may even be members.  ;)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 08:46:39 PM »
I am still waiting to hear back on whether this is something MGO will attend officially.

Does MGO ever get behind and support anything officially?  I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Offline Pyzik

• S&W M&P9
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 08:54:56 PM »
I emailed every board member and received a reply from the Secretary so far stating that it could be something they would but its up to more than him.  We will see.

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 09:06:08 PM »
can you post a link to the FB page? If I am off work that day I will be driving to Lansing.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline Pyzik

• S&W M&P9
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 09:14:38 PM »
That's great!  I look forward to meeting you. Here you go.
http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/events/406312512782872?ref=bookmark&__user=0

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 09:17:47 PM »
Link is a no go. You copy and pasted a mobile link. What is the page name?
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline Pyzik

• S&W M&P9
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 09:32:56 PM »
Sorry.  I am on my phone.
The page is "2nd Right".
https://www.facebook.com/events/406312512782872/

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 09:40:53 PM »
Thanks. I got it. I will be there OC'ing and think I might even bring a scary black rifle to OC.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline Pyzik

• S&W M&P9
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 09:23:29 AM »
Ken, that's great.  I look forward to seeing you there.  I'll be bringing a scary black rifle as well, just not sure if I'll don it yet.

I received an email from MGO today stating that the use of a banner has been approved and they'll cover the charge of hanging it.
Quite a few MGO members have stated they will attend, just waiting to hear who from the board will.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
Re: Re: Rally in Lansing, permit needed?
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 10:47:25 AM »
Does MGO ever get behind and support anything officially?  I don't know, that's why I'm asking.
They officially were behind MI pistols going away.