Author Topic: Public Restrooms for those with Waist Holsters  (Read 10510 times)

Offline UPWolf

• First Name (Displayed): John
Public Restrooms for those with Waist Holsters
« on: January 09, 2013, 08:13:34 PM »
I know this is probably not a commonly discussed thing, but it's worth asking.. 
What do you do with your pistol when you sit down in a bathroom stall? As a CC or OC?
I'm a CPL holder and usually CC a Radom P-64 in a leather hip holster.
If it's winter and there's a coat hook I'll usually just slip it into my coat pocket but I carry a small frame semi-auto which makes that easy.
I know some people place it on the toilet paper holder but that doesn't seem like the best idea to me,
What do you all think?

Also would it be a good idea for public places to provide a universal holster mounted in the bathroom stall wall to accommodate for people who carry?
The true sign of an expert is not someone who can remember everything, but someone willing to learn who knows how to find the information they need.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Public Restrooms for those with Waist Holsters
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 08:50:45 PM »
Depends on how you carry, but many people use the hammock method.  This also prevents you from accidentally leaving your gun in the stall when you leave.  I can't imagine forgetting my pistol, but apparently police do it with some regularity.

Good luck with getting universal gun holsters in public stalls.  :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:54:49 PM by gryphon »

Offline sircapsalot

• Land of the FREE
  • First Name (Displayed): Dj
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 10:59:56 PM »
Great question, and welcome to MOC.

I'm right with you with the coat pocket, and hangar thing.  I do exactly that.

About when you don't have a jacket,   I'm speaking to you not from experience, but in anticipation for what i'll do,    I suppose, since the stall is private, you could lie it on your leg, and just keep a hand on it... would be relatively safe, but (considering you're already carrying, this should be normal) just be sure to be aware at all times of where it is. 

Another thing to do - now I've never heard of the hammock method, but another thing i'd do, is when i'm sitting, just place the weapon between my ankles and keep about my business.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 11:55:53 PM »
just place the weapon between my ankles

On the floor?  I'm not crazy about that idea.  Ewww...

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 12:04:56 AM »
I also was trained to utilize the "hammock" method.

I do know of one guy that just left it in his holster. Since he was using a poor choice in both holster and pistol, when the pistol impacted the floor, he got shot in the leg. Actually quite a severe wound resulted.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline UPWolf

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 01:31:07 AM »
Thanks for the welcome.
I usually try to set my pistol on the floor when possible. I feel more secure knowing it can't drop from there and discharge because I have heard stories of people doing just that.
During summer I found myself choosing places where the restrooms were single-occupancy like the family restrooms just to make sure placing my pistol down wouldn't cause a stir and I wouldn't have to worry about it being accessible from another stall.
I'll probably have some other oddball questions here and there in the future but it's good to see I wasn't alone in the conundrum.
The true sign of an expert is not someone who can remember everything, but someone willing to learn who knows how to find the information they need.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 06:52:48 AM »
I usually try to set my pistol on the floor when possible. I feel more secure knowing it can't drop from there and discharge because I have heard stories of people doing just that.

I can't think of a gun that you can throw on the ground or against a wall and make it discharge.  Negligent discharges are from people coon-fingering their gun, not from "dropping it."  I'll bet you a Ruth's Chris or Morton's steak dinner you can't come up with one instance where that happened.

You, me, Troy MI, this weekend.  What do you say?  Can I bring my wife?

Offline Raggs

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 09:14:26 AM »
gryphon not sure who you were addressing but it seems you owe them a dinner.

I also was trained to utilize the "hammock" method.

I do know of one guy that just left it in his holster. Since he was using a poor choice in both holster and pistol, when the pistol impacted the floor, he got shot in the leg. Actually quite a severe wound resulted.

Offline METL

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 10:51:55 AM »

+1 for the hammock method.   FOr those that don't understand what it is, it involves laying the pistol in/on your pants between your ankles...    you can't forget it becuase you can't pull up your pants wiht it in there...   

Otherwise, I just leave it where it is... just depends on the situation.

Mostly I just don't make those types of transactions when I don't have the home court advantage.   :D

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 10:57:46 AM »
The hammock method can leave gun oil inside your drawers (I don't need CLP on my junk), plus the unnecessary touching of the gun to begin with allows possibility of an ND.
Drop your pants then fasten your belt on the first notch, if you feel the need to be super stealthy pull the waistband of your drawers over your holstered gun to cover it. (Elastic will be at the bottom of holster)
There is no chance of a ND if you don't handle the gun.

Offline sircapsalot

• Land of the FREE
  • First Name (Displayed): Dj
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 01:16:05 PM »
On the floor?  I'm not crazy about that idea.  Ewww...

It appears that my "between the ankles" method, and the hammock method are one of the same. I didn't mean on the floor hahaha

Offline UPWolf

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 03:50:01 PM »
I can't think of a gun that you can throw on the ground or against a wall and make it discharge.  Negligent discharges are from people coon-fingering their gun, not from "dropping it."  I'll bet you a Ruth's Chris or Morton's steak dinner you can't come up with one instance where that happened.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/15/13296949-man-drops-gun-in-movie-theater-shooting-self-in-buttocks?lite
I'll use this example, better safe than sorry. The p-64 also features a trigger disconnect and I never let my finger near the trigger unless I'm shooting. Rather not get shot let alone with my pants down!

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 03:55:52 PM »
I gently remove it from the holster and stick it about 1' in front of me, assuming that's not a place someone could easily grab it quickly. I keep the mussel in the safe direction and I stare at it as to not leave it behind.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 05:54:10 PM »
I just use a shoulder rig these days  ;) . More to do with my abdominal issues than anything else, but I can see it has this one distinct advantage lol.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 07:50:49 PM »

If you own one of those POS guns manufacturer in a POS former Soviet Bloc country, I would refrain from dropping it while loaded. There were actually a few reported incidents similar with the same firearm model. One resulted in the victim shooting himself in the leg and bleeding out fatally.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 08:26:21 PM »
UPWolf, I have been informed by a member here that another well-known person was carrying a ComBlock gun and did have that happen to him, so I guess I owe you a steak dinner.   :)

You live anywhere near Lansing?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 08:39:08 PM »

I hear Glock set themselves off, even when they aren't loaded…
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 02:15:39 AM by TheQ »

Offline UPWolf

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 08:59:55 PM »
gryphon, Not unless you consider a seven hour drive close, Hahah.
Marquette area up in the U.P. so you're safe on the bet.
As far as Glocks and NDs go... I know they're pretty common, but poor trigger control and the fact that a Glock has 3 safety mechanisms that are disabled by the pull of the trigger are the biggest issue there.
Give me an external thumb safety I know I can engage and disengage any day.
If you want to see a great example of how not to design a gun to go off without pulling the trigger, check out the Japanese Type 94 Nambu Pistol.  It features an exposed trigger bar which can fire the pistol with just a bit of pressure on it.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 09:54:56 PM »
I hear Glock set themselves off, even when they aren't loaded…

That's true! No purple needed.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 11:23:27 PM »
Never had a ND with either of my Glocks, but then I am smart enough to keep my finger off the trigger too.

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 02:19:14 AM »
Never had a ND with either of my Glocks, but then I am smart enough to keep my finger off the trigger too.

You must be lucky.

I hear Pat had an AD with his.  It was field stripped and all the parts were stored in different safes.  Yet somehow, a round discharged out of the barrel and scratched the door of his safe.  Good thing the safe door is thick, otherwise the bullet may have escaped and hurt someone!

Of course, that was before he lost said Glock in a tragic boating accident while ice fishing last winter :(