Author Topic: British forces to be equipped with Glock pistols for protection in Afghanistan  (Read 3497 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
New weapons will replace venerable Browning sidearms that MoD says are too slow to fire in case of close-quarter attack

The new Glock 17, bottom, to be issued to British armed forces alongside its predecessor, the Browning L9A1.

British troops in Afghanistan – and on future operations anywhere else – will be better able to defend themselves with the help of the first new standard pistol issued to the armed forces in more than 40 years.

Faced with the threat of attacks at close quarters – not least from members of the Afghan security forces turned by the Taliban or bearing individual grievances – the new weapons will enable them to shoot faster and more effectively, troops say.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/11/british-forces-afghanistan-glock-pistols

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
According to the article, British forces don't even keep a round chambered.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
According to the article, British forces don't even keep a round chambered.

Probably for good reason, dont want your Glock to go off on a rampage without you there to stop it!

Offline FatMan

How ignorant. I love my Glock but really 4 times longer to fire a round from a browning hipower. My "hi Power" is a cheap knock off FEG armory (Hungarian made import)but it doesn't take me 4 seconds to get a round off. I think they have more of a Training ISSUE then an out dated slow heavy side arm... I bought Asian military contract nearly flush mount "the magazine floor plate sticks maybe 3/8 of an inch out the bottom) 17 round magazines for mine years ago the British army/Royal Marines could save lots of money ordering more magazines and train their soldiers to fully load the weapon c**k,lock and holster the weapon until needed. But military intelligence is usually considered an oxymoron   
Why do you carry that handgun every place you go? Cause it's lighter than my shotgun.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
It takes them so long because they have to unholster their weapon from a flap holster, then take off the safety, then rack the slide to chamber a round, then raise the weapon to shoot.  They can't carry cocked-and-locked in a modern holster.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 12:36:15 AM by TheQ »