Author Topic: question on MI pistol  (Read 7285 times)

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
question on MI pistol
« on: January 16, 2013, 08:20:11 AM »
So I haven't paid much attention to it in the past, but I'm interested in registering my Beretta CX4 Storm as a MI pistol.  The OAL of the gun is 29.7" with no spacers in it.  Can anyone tell me if this is possible and how to go about doing it? I did search, but found too much information to understand quickly, and I figured I'd ask some of the experts on here...
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
question on MI pistol
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 08:53:36 AM »
The Michigan Pistol died on 12/31 at 11:59:59.

Sorry, you're a day late and a dollar short.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
Re: question on MI pistol
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 09:08:18 AM »
Damn. Figures. I didnt pay attention to it before. Never had much interest before.

Thanks Phil
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 09:09:02 AM »
Also, since this has a stock on it that can not be folded away, I believe this is a short barreled rifle. SBR's are not allowed in Michigan. 26" is now the maximum length fora pistol in Michigan.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline Hammurabi

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 12:48:42 PM »
Also, since this has a stock on it that can not be folded away, I believe this is a short barreled rifle. SBR's are not allowed in Michigan. 26" is now the maximum length fora pistol in Michigan.
What does a fixed stock, as opposed to a folding or adjustable stock have to do with its status as an SBR? A firearm with a folding or adjustable stock will generally have a shorter overall length in its shortest configuration than a firearm with a fixed stock, so fixed-stock weapons are less likely to meet the overall length requirement Michigan uses in defining pistols.

The Cx4 appears to have a barrel length greater than 16" and an overall length greater than 26" inches.

Let's have a look at MCL 750.222:
(d) "Firearm" means a weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by an explosive, or by gas or air. Firearm does not include a smooth bore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for propelling by a spring, or by gas or air, BBs not exceeding .177 caliber.

(e) "Pistol" means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 26 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals itself as a firearm.

(j) "Rifle" means a firearm designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

(k) "Short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having 1 or more barrels less than 16 inches in length or a weapon made from a rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.
Unless the specs on Beretta's site are off, this is a firearm and a rifle, but neither a pistol nor a short-barreled rifle.

As the overall length is less than 30", it could have been registered as a pistol until the start of this year.
Was the overall length greater than 30" previously?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:34:42 PM by Hammurabi »

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 03:23:30 PM »
Hammurabi,
Since it has a 16" barrel and stock it is a rifle in MI. Previously if it had a folding stock/no stock AND under 30" OAL it was a pistol. This providing it could function while the stock is folded. My description came across wrong. It is not an SBR unless the barrel is under 16".

Since it has a fixed stock and not made to be fire "by a hand" at that time it would still be a rifle prior to 2012. M1A1, draco folders, some shotguns and AR's without a stock meeting the above description were classified as pistols. This was discussed heavily as many of us took advantage of this and own pistols now grandfathered in.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline Hammurabi

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 09:34:07 PM »
If the Cx4 was "a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 30 inches or less in length" prior to the first of this year, it was a pistol. Stock or no, folding or no, 16" barrel or no.

I assume the spacers referenced in the first post would increase the length and leave you with a weapon which would not need to be registered.

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 07:58:57 AM »
The spacers are put on the end of the stock to lengthen the CX4.  I actually took them off so my 10 year old can shoot it easier (he is small for his age).  I was looking at the MI pistol as a way to use the gun down here during deer season (I live in the shotgun zone).

Looks like I should have thought about it sooner.

Offline Hammurabi

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 01:51:59 PM »
There was some noise about allowing pistol-caliber carbines in the shotgun zone, but I'm not sure if it went anywhere.

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 09:57:40 AM »
It didn't. I was watching for it, but it never came up. 

I wasn't going to push it though, there are more important pieces moving currently.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 12:51:35 PM »
The Michigan Pistol died on 12/31 at 11:59:59.

Sorry, you're a day late and a dollar short.
My Hannibal Smith Commemorative, that was lost in that tragic boating accident while ice fishing last winter, is still good. And I don't think it qualifies as a "military style" assault rifle.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update