Author Topic: NPR and other new shows now using the term Assault Rifle  (Read 2573 times)

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
NPR and other new shows now using the term Assault Rifle
« on: January 17, 2013, 01:52:10 PM »
I don't recall if it was the persons being interviewed or the program host, but now I notice the term "assault rifle" is being used more in the last couple of days.

An assault rifle is a fully automatic weapon, like an M-16, etc. and is usually defined as a selective fire weapon that can be switched between single fire, bursts of a few rounds, or full automatic. (Someone with experience with these can correct me, if I am wrong.)

I suggest that we point out that an "assault weapon" is any object used in an assault, i.e. rock, fist, baseball bat, knife, etc. It does not have to be a gun. Let's not let the anti-gun get away unchallenged with defining the terms of the argument.

I have heard a lot of pro-gun people use the term "assault weapon" to refer to things like AR-15s, etc., that are simply semi-automatic rifles that look similar to "assault rifles". I don't think we should use the term "assault weapon" the way the anti-gun crows uses it, as it gives support to their argument to ban what they call "assault weapons".

I love how now Leon Panetta, Secretary of Defense,  is saying civilians shouldn't have so-called "assault weapons".

"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: NPR and other new shows now using the term Assault Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 02:35:30 PM »
In the Lansing State Journal Sunday, they had a section on firearms with several opinion pieces, including one from State Senator Gretchen Whitmer, one from East Lansing firearms attorney Steve Dulan, and one from our own Brian Jeffs (Venator).  One of the pieces kept calling semi-auto firearms "personal weapons of mass destruction."  The writer used that term about twenty times!

PERSONAL WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION!

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
Re: NPR and other new shows now using the term Assault Rifle
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 05:45:56 PM »
In the Lansing State Journal Sunday, they had a section on firearms with several opinion pieces, including one from State Senator Gretchen Whitmer, one from East Lansing firearms attorney Steve Dulan, and one from our own Brian Jeffs (Venator).  One of the pieces kept calling semi-auto firearms "personal weapons of mass destruction."  The writer used that term about twenty times!

PERSONAL WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION!

Which was it, Steve or Brian, that kept using that term? ;D
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.