Author Topic: Selling a pistol.  (Read 4285 times)

Offline Jeff

Selling a pistol.
« on: January 21, 2013, 12:16:31 AM »
My friend asked me this question just a few minutes ago.

His father wants to give him one of his pistols.  What needs to be done?  Do they go up to the police station with the firearm and do a background check and fill out a pistol sales record or does his father just say "here it's yours now"?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Selling a pistol.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 12:55:45 AM »
Does he have a CPL?  Fill out an RI-60 and mail it in.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ri-060_6454_7.pdf

If not, he needs a pistol purchase permit first which can be obtained from any LEO office in Michigan.

No need to take the pistol to the police to check or do a "safety inspection" or any of that old stuff.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 07:05:23 PM »
Thank you.  No he doesn't have a CPL.

I told him to call the Oakland county police headquarters but he hasn't done that yet.  I figured all he really needed was to fill out a pistol sales record that doubles as the permit and turn it in.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 07:14:55 PM »
Thank you.  No he doesn't have a CPL.

I told him to call the Oakland county police headquarters but he hasn't done that yet.  I figured all he really needed was to fill out a pistol sales record that doubles as the permit and turn it in.
If he doesn't have a local police department, then he can get his Permit to Purchase at the Oakland County Sheriff's Record Division. They're located behind the jail in the 1200 Telegraph complex. He'll have 10 days to fill out the permit and mail it back to the agency where he obtained it.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Dbilger

• First Name (Displayed): Don
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 06:40:50 AM »
I thought they extended the time frame from 10 days to 30 day?

Offline fsr402

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 08:12:57 AM »
The permit is good for 30 days but once it's filled out and signed (you bought the gun) you only have ten days to get it turned in.