Author Topic: MOC Tactics  (Read 3281 times)

Offline ajs7120

• First Name (Displayed): Tony
MOC Tactics
« on: January 19, 2013, 07:07:07 AM »
Hi guys, I'm new to MOC. I advocate resposnible open carry and staunchly support the second ammendment. I'm thinking of becoming a member of MOC, but I'd like a little feedback first. I open carry routinely on my job. I work alone usually, as a contractor, many times in high crime areas.

On 01/17/13 our company lost a 42 year old family man to a robbery attempt, he was running away from the scene and was shot in the back. On 08/07/11 I lost my 16 year-old daughter to a mass homicide (active shooter) in Copley, Ohio.

Like LaPierre said the other day, the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. In both of these instances a good guy with a gun may have prevented needless and tragic loss of life.

I'm getting my CPL very soon but will probably elect to open carry most of the time as a matter of practicality, as the handgun I am most proficient with is the M9.

I found the information MOC has posted very helpful and useful in understanding the current gun laws in Michigan.

I was a little concerned, however, when I read the complaint, and subsequent injuction regarding the CADL case in Lansing. I'm not sure that this type of protest or demonstration of the right to open carry is fostering confidence with the general public, and doesn't seem to be in line with MOC policy

I'd like to discuss how MOC intends to proceed with promoting our right to open carry and preserve our second ammendment rights, while maintaining a positive publc image.

Your thoughts are appreciated

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: MOC Tactics
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 07:03:04 PM »
The person who carried a long gun in the library was not an MOC member and did not do it as part of an MOC tactic.  CADL couldn't enforce its "no firearms" rules because they were in violation of state law, so they needed to get a court to order it.  In order to do that they needed to sue someone, so they chose MOC because MOC had attended CADL board meetings and pointed out to them what they were trying to do was against the law.

Does this address your concerns?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 10:40:37 PM »
Thank you for your thoughts.  We will take actions against local units of government (as we are able) who have AND are promoting illegal firearm bans.

What you don't find in the news and the court complaints is that we worked with CADL quietly before things went public and people started to OC like mad in the Library.  However, the Library refused to take corrective action on their policy or enforcement.  Free people (Many of them not members of ours -- the shotgun guy definitely wasn't) began to Open Carry more frequently in the Library.  The Lansing Police department refused to stop showing up to enforce the Library's illegal ban and that prompted the Library to file a lawsuit, which they ultimately lost in the Court of Appeals*

It's our standard operating procedure to attempt to work quietly and professionally with infringing local units of government (that are breaking the law by violating MCL 123.1102).  When calm, quiet, professional talks fail, we employ other methods to defend the rights of every person in Michigan.

Thank you for your feedback :)

* They still have a week or two to file an appeal with the State Supreme Court.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 12:05:57 AM »
Hi guys, I'm new to MOC. I advocate resposnible open carry and staunchly support the second ammendment. I'm thinking of becoming a member of MOC, but I'd like a little feedback first. I open carry routinely on my job. I work alone usually, as a contractor, many times in high crime areas.

On 01/17/13 our company lost a 42 year old family man to a robbery attempt, he was running away from the scene and was shot in the back. On 08/07/11 I lost my 16 year-old daughter to a mass homicide (active shooter) in Copley, Ohio.

Like LaPierre said the other day, the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. In both of these instances a good guy with a gun may have prevented needless and tragic loss of life.

I'm getting my CPL very soon but will probably elect to open carry most of the time as a matter of practicality, as the handgun I am most proficient with is the M9.

I found the information MOC has posted very helpful and useful in understanding the current gun laws in Michigan.

I was a little concerned, however, when I read the complaint, and subsequent injuction regarding the CADL case in Lansing. I'm not sure that this type of protest or demonstration of the right to open carry is fostering confidence with the general public, and doesn't seem to be in line with MOC policy

I'd like to discuss how MOC intends to proceed with promoting our right to open carry and preserve our second ammendment rights, while maintaining a positive publc image.

Your thoughts are appreciated

Sorry for you lose was your daughter Amelia or Autumn?
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.