Author Topic: OC'ed at Walmart - Burton  (Read 10598 times)

Offline Advanced Security

OC'ed at Walmart - Burton
« on: May 26, 2010, 06:04:55 PM »
So, I was OCing at Uncle Wallys, and I got kicked out.  I was told it was private property, and they don't want OC there.  So, I understand about the whole private property thing, however, as I was leaving I saw a HUGE wall memorial for our troops.  How can they justify minimizing our constitutional rights, while openly supporting the people that give us those rights?  I also understand about their rights to not have OC on they're property.  I just thought the woman was really rude about it, and I for sure know I won't be going back to a store like that.

Jeff

Offline northofnowhere

Re: OC'ed at Walmart - Burton
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 06:36:45 PM »
Walmart policy is to follow state laws.  State law does allow a property owner or their agent to kick you out.  That said, Corporate Walmart has been telling stores not to touch open carriers, to leave them alone.  They train their management and loss prevention agents to ALLOW open carry if it is being done safely and responsibly.

Walmart policy explicitly says anyone approaching a customer to no trespass them or remove them MUST first identify themselves by first name, state their position, and the reason for the dismissal.  The person approaching the customer must remain polite and cordial at all times, it is a policy.  Call the store, ask for the store manager or shift manager, they are the highest tier's of management.  Politely explain your case, make sure to include how rudely you were treated and that the person wouldn't give you their name or title.  If you do not receive satisfaction for your treatment and a resolution, ask the person for the immediately higher district manager name and number where they can be reached.  Repeat the process until you get what you want, eventually you will get what you want, which I presume is the ability to shop there, an apology, and retraining of the person who approached you.

If you do not get anywhere, or cannot get the numbers and names needed, please pm me the address of the store and I will get you the contact information personally through my own store.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 07:06:20 PM »
Walmart policy is to follow state laws.  State law does allow a property owner or their agent to kick you out.  That said, Corporate Walmart has been telling stores not to touch open carriers, to leave them alone.  They train their management and loss prevention agents to ALLOW open carry if it is being done safely and responsibly.

Walmart policy explicitly says anyone approaching a customer to no trespass them or remove them MUST first identify themselves by first name, state their position, and the reason for the dismissal.  The person approaching the customer must remain polite and cordial at all times, it is a policy.  Call the store, ask for the store manager or shift manager, they are the highest tier's of management.  Politely explain your case, make sure to include how rudely you were treated and that the person wouldn't give you their name or title.  If you do not receive satisfaction for your treatment and a resolution, ask the person for the immediately higher district manager name and number where they can be reached.  Repeat the process until you get what you want, eventually you will get what you want, which I presume is the ability to shop there, an apology, and retraining of the person who approached you.

If you do not get anywhere, or cannot get the numbers and names needed, please pm me the address of the store and I will get you the contact information personally through my own store.

Wow.

That was a VERY thorough response that is much appreciated.  Thank you for clearing that up for me.  I will be calling the store manager right now.  I don't believe that it was a wouldn't, but a didn't give their name.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Thank God someone had the insight for our constitution.  Thank you northofnowhere.

Jeff

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 07:24:45 PM »
:)

Warchild

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 08:25:07 PM »
Is this the latest policy for walmart? If you have that in writing, could you send it to me please.
If there has been a change from last years response I got, I will again challenge the manager at the store here in Owosso. I believe it was August of last year, the last policy I got from Corp... was they were leaving it up to individual store managers.

Thanks, Jerry

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 08:41:07 PM »
There is no policy in writing, although I will review the policy's on Loss Prevention and similar ones to be sure it has not been updated to reflect open carry.  This is what recent management and Loss Prevention associates have reported to me after returning from training.  By reporting I do mean dragging it out of them relentlessly during casual conversations.

They did update their associate carry policy recently, and a few others.  Perhaps they have allotted specifically for carry in stores by costumers, anything is possible, they do update frequently.  I work tonight and should be able to find some time to research it.

Due to other policies you won't find me posting policy, but rather referring to them by number and paraphrasing them.

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 11:18:48 AM »
So, I called.  She seemed more concerned about the woman who stopped me not following procedure, than me open carrying. She said they had an incident where an open carrier pulled a gun on a cashier.  So now they don't allow it at all. She also tried desperately to get me to believe her that there was a clause in the policy that leaves OC up to the store.

Either way, there are several other walmarts, I'll be shopping at those.

Jeff

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 12:11:43 PM »
I call BS on the Ocer drawing on a cashier as it would have been in the news and I have seen nothing!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline cabman1

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 02:27:37 PM »
So, I called.  She seemed more concerned about the woman who stopped me not following procedure, than me open carrying. She said they had an incident where an open carrier pulled a gun on a cashier.  So now they don't allow it at all. She also tried desperately to get me to believe her that there was a clause in the policy that leaves OC up to the store.

Jeff

If you could get me a name of the woman that said that I would love to talk to her about the incident!!!!
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc or the law.

Offline SpringerXDacp

• AmmoDump
  • MOC Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 02:44:15 PM »

Jeff

I'm calling BS on this as well.  I live in Burton and receive two of their newspapers and have seen/read nothing that she mentioned.  I also read about criminal activity, via mlive, for Flint and surrounding areas.  I suspect the incident that took place was the freak-of-nature, wannabe corrections officer in Arizona recently where he was walking around the Wally World brandishing his pistol and then discharging it at the checkout line in front of the cashier--don't recall all the details.

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 09:09:40 AM »

Jeff

If you could get me a name of the woman that said that I would love to talk to her about the incident!!!!

I have a hard time with the whole thing to be honest. However, still is private property, still can't OC there. I will be shopping at other walmarts. I just won't be protesting this one. I was planning to initially due to the lack of support of constitutional rights, but the alleged support of our troops.  Was a contradiction in my mind.  Anyway, you guys are really awesome. I gotta find a list of member benefits so I can join.

Thanks,

Jeff

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 09:09:55 AM »

Jeff

Offline Evil Creamsicle

• Commie Rifle Fetishist
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 02:29:55 PM »
So, I called.  She seemed more concerned about the woman who stopped me not following procedure, than me open carrying. She said they had an incident where an open carrier pulled a gun on a cashier.  So now they don't allow it at all. She also tried desperately to get me to believe her that there was a clause in the policy that leaves OC up to the store.

Jeff

I have a hard time with the whole thing to be honest. However, still is private property, still can't OC there. I will be shopping at other walmarts. I just won't be protesting this one. I was planning to initially due to the lack of support of constitutional rights, but the alleged support of our troops.  Was a contradiction in my mind.  Anyway, you guys are really awesome. I gotta find a list of member benefits so I can join.

Thanks,

Jeff

There is a list of member benefits on the main website.
Membership Form
Membership Perks
Once armed, a free man can never be disarmed. Only defeated.

Offline Acelim

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 01:21:23 AM »

I definitely agree with your statement, you should be obey the rules in this marketplace. However, in our local Walmart, I never seen a rules and regulations while I am shopping. And I think it is a big mistake.
online Walmart

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 02:00:57 PM »
After seeing this post I decided to e-mail Walmart to get stright answer. Here is the response I got.

Dear Kenneth, There is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally permitted by their state to carry the handgun. As a private property owner, Wal-Mart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Wal-Mart associates express concerns about the handgun.   Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart customer care. Have a Nice Day!!Sincerely, Susan
So much for a straight answer. I guess it depends on if the employee that sees you is "concerned". This e-mail just tell me to shop elseware.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 04:43:36 PM »
WalMart sells Liquor, no?

Wouldn't you need a CPL to carry in a place that sells liquor?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 06:25:20 PM »
After seeing this post I decided to e-mail Walmart to get stright answer. Here is the response I got.

Dear Kenneth, There is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally permitted by their state to carry the handgun. As a private property owner, Wal-Mart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Wal-Mart associates express concerns about the handgun.   Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart customer care. Have a Nice Day!!Sincerely, Susan
So much for a straight answer. I guess it depends on if the employee that sees you is "concerned". This e-mail just tell me to shop elseware.

Thanks for the follow up Ken.  I've OCd at just about every other walmart in the area, no issues.

I just won't go there...

Thanks again.

Jeff

Offline Bronson

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 08:45:40 PM »
Wouldn't you need a CPL to carry in a place that sells liquor?

Yes.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline drtodd

• MOC Member
  • MOC Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 12:34:56 AM »

This is almost word-for-word the response I got last fall when I was told that I could not enter my local Walmart unless I left my pistol in my vehicle.  This is one of the many reasons I will never enter one of their stores nor buy another Walmart product. 
In fact, I demanded that anyone that attended a party at my house this past June NOT bring anything made by or purchased at Walmart. I had one person show up with some beer purchased at Walmart (saw the sticker) and I politely told that person that Walmart products were not allowed on my property and made them return it to their car. 

I actually have more respect for a company that bans firearms outright and makes it public information than a company that pretends to espouse "American Values" yet demands that I disarm to shop. (all the while pretending that OC is OK by them)
"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).