Author Topic: Questions about Grand Rapids  (Read 1693 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Questions about Grand Rapids
« on: January 26, 2013, 09:58:54 AM »
Received this this AM:

Hello,  had a question about open carry in Grand Rapids MI.  I would like to start OC , but have heard it was not allowed in the city limits.  I seen a clip showing you guys OC in a meeting in the city.  I just want to know what I can and can't do in Grand Rapids and all of Michigan for that matter.  If you could fill me in on Grand Rapids rules and if I can or can not break them and if they try to enforce them what can I do. Do I need a specific holster etc.  I would be happy to apply a donation if you can shed some light here.
Thanks so much:
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• MOC Moderator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Questions about Grand Rapids
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:09:25 PM »
MCL 123.1102, Michigan's firearms preemption law, states that a local unit of government may not enact or enforce any ordinance pertaining to firearms or ammunition.  Therefore, any firearms ordinances GR may have are unenforceable.

You may openly carry anywhere allowed by state and federal law.

If you do not have a CPL, you are prohibited from openly carrying a firearm in a bank, church, court, theater, sports arena, day care center, hospital, or an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act (has a license to sell alcohol).  MCL 750.234d  You also may not carry your firearm inside the cabin of your vehicle.  When transporting it, you must unload and store the firearm in the trunk of your car, or if you don't have one, encased and not readily accessible to the driver or other occupants.  Also state and federal pistol free zones (PFZ) apply (courts, secure areas of PDs and jails, federal buildings).

If you do have a CPL, you are simply bound by the state and federal PFZs when openly carrying (courts, secure areas of PDs and jails, federal buildings).

Here are two good resources:

Michigan Open Carry tri-fold brochure
Michigan State Police Legal Update No. 86

Also, read this thread: New? Start Here