Author Topic: Ban on Open Carry!  (Read 7721 times)

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
    • http://michiganopencarry.org
  • First Name (Displayed): john
"Any day you don't hear a "POP" and "WHIZ" is a Wonderful day....."

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Ban on Open Carry!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 11:08:56 AM »
This bill was dead on arrival.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
Re: Ban on Open Carry!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 11:14:38 AM »
This bill was dead on arrival.

Completely Naive Statement.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 11:38:15 AM »

How so? As I understand it, this bill won't make it out of committee.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 01:19:59 PM »

You have how much experience lobbying and you understand the law makers in Lansing -- how much?  Can you even name your own State Rep and State Senator without looking it up?

I can, Schor (the bastard who wrote this bill) and Whitmer (Senate Minority Leader).

How so? As I understand it, this bill won't make it out of committee.

I wouldn't expect it to even get testimony in committee, let alone a vote.  Right now it is "vogue" amongst Republicans in Lansing to be pro-gun.  Even law makers who were wishy washy last session (like the Senator from Grand Ledge) are now much more vocally pro-gun.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 01:35:05 PM »
They're always "vocally" pro-gun when their jobs are up for renewal. But as we have seen in the very recent past, when the rubber meets the road, the brakes get applied. Can you say "legislature leadership?" If the repugnicans really were pro-gun, they would've gotten a few meaningful things accomplished, in spite of Schneider and Dickville. Dickville purposefully held back on legislation to allow Schneider an opportunity to be veto-proof. And the rest of the repugnicans could look good because they supported gun rights but the "big bad guvinor" was against "them."

This open carry stuff isn't new to them. Who was it that protested against Dickville in Monroe? I'm pretty sure it wasn't Michigan Concealed Carry.

Schneider and Dickville were in bed together from the beginning. And they're still in bed together now. And the whole repugnican legislature is kowtowing to them.

At least we know what to expect from the gun-grabbing damocrats.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 02:54:55 PM »
Personally I think its a ludicrous and ridiculous statement to think the bill is DOA at this point. The current volatile situation in 2a and firearms related issue's that are currently under attack are nothing to turn a blind eye to merely by thinking you know something. Your assumption of probabilities is a blatant under estimation , considering the current situation. We have seen first hand, rallied, applied various resources in an attempt to get SB-59 passed to no avail. Yet after the fact you, Mr. Hofmeister. State the bill had issue's from the start? Then why in the world would you expend energies knowing full well Governor Snyder made it known from the start he had issues with the Bill.  Now you state this current OC bill. Holds no water. I beg to differ, regardless of your knowledge of anything in regards to Lansing or anyone in Lansing. The bottom line is their all politicians kissing babies in front of us, stealing their lolly pops when were not looking.  I am sorry if this offends you or that you consider it a personal attack. However I stand by my comment in that you are completely turning a blind eye and making a naive comments to something none of us has any idea of the outcome. This new Bill contains exactly what Governor Snyder wanted to see in SB-59.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 03:17:01 PM »
Before Snyder see's the bill the House and Senate have to approve it, and since it is highly unlikely this bill will even see Committee, it won't get to his desk.

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 03:32:31 PM »
Before Snyder see's the bill the House and Senate have to approve it, and since it is highly unlikely this bill will even see Committee, it won't get to his desk.
The repugnicans may control committees now. But that is about to change. The control of the legislature is about to swing in the other direction. Michigan will soon have a damocrat controlled legislature. And I predict that Schneider will be a one term guviner.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Ban on Open Carry!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 07:18:12 PM »
The repugnicans may control committees now. But that is about to change. The control of the legislature is about to swing in the other direction. Michigan will soon have a damocrat controlled legislature. And I predict that Schneider will be a one term guviner.

That's at least 2 years out.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Ban on Open Carry!
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 07:21:40 PM »
Personally I think its a ludicrous and ridiculous statement to think the bill is DOA at this point. The current volatile situation in 2a and firearms related issue's that are currently under attack are nothing to turn a blind eye to merely by thinking you know something. Your assumption of probabilities is a blatant under estimation , considering the current situation. We have seen first hand, rallied, applied various resources in an attempt to get SB-59 passed to no avail. Yet after the fact you, Mr. Hofmeister. State the bill had issue's from the start? Then why in the world would you expend energies knowing full well Governor Snyder made it known from the start he had issues with the Bill.  Now you state this current OC bill. Holds no water. I beg to differ, regardless of your knowledge of anything in regards to Lansing or anyone in Lansing. The bottom line is their all politicians kissing babies in front of us, stealing their lolly pops when were not looking.  I am sorry if this offends you or that you consider it a personal attack. However I stand by my comment in that you are completely turning a blind eye and making a naive comments to something none of us has any idea of the outcome. This new Bill contains exactly what Governor Snyder wanted to see in SB-59.

I make no guarantees about legislation. That being said, you'll not the words "expect" and "believe".

I don't plan on expanding capital and get people worked up and calling their legislators about a bill that isn't currently expected to move, we'd look line fools. People will only make a call so many times before they tire, I'll save the calls until I need them.

If the bill BEGINs to move, I'll put energy into it...until then, I'm not going to get worked up over it.

Offline Raggs

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 09:57:50 PM »
I think when / if SB59 is re-introduced and it seems some that OC needs to be sacrificed on the altar of the greater good then OC in PFZs will be gone.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 12:28:31 AM »
That's at least 2 years out.
Two years is a short time to get momentum for nonsensical legislation like this. I agree that the sky isn't falling. But we need to keep a watchful eye on this. It is indicative of their desires and it will definitely be a part of the agendas henceforth. I also agree that resources need to be conserved.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 12:41:26 AM »
Two years is a short time to get momentum for nonsensical legislation like this. I agree that the sky isn't falling. But we need to keep a watchful eye on this. It is indicative of their desires and it will definitely be a part of the agendas henceforth. I also agree that resources need to be conserved.

This particular bill dies at the end of the session -- in two years.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 01:23:56 AM »
This particular bill dies at the end of the session -- in two years.
Yes, this particular bill does.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 07:36:56 AM »
As long as this bill receives no traction, it might be something to point out to Grand Rapids Mayor George Hartwell. 'Look pal, you can push all you want, but you're not going to get anywhere. Too many people favor rights as opposed to taking them away in Michigan'.

Of course, it might be best to do this once things have calmed down a bit.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Ban on Open Carry!
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 08:22:58 AM »
As long as this bill receives no traction, it might be something to point out to Grand Rapids Mayor George Hartwell. 'Look pal, you can push all you want, but you're not going to get anywhere. Too many people favor rights as opposed to taking them away in Michigan'.

Of course, it might be best to do this once things have calmed down a bit.

Best to wait before poking bear.