Author Topic: Will the day come.....  (Read 4202 times)

xerxescct

Will the day come.....
« on: April 04, 2013, 06:40:10 PM »
In American the term "Band Wagon" seems to fit many day to day situations both locally and nationally. While this term can be used in an offensive manner I use it only in the sense that it speaks of public opinion in today. History has shown that that a cause, any cause, with a fight, support, and eventual acceptance happens frequently. Take the current non gun debate of marriage equality. A decade ago marriage equality was almost unheard of. The fight for marriage equality goes back even further. Its a fight that has gone on for many decades and is now seeing more of a wide acceptance than ever before. No doubt within the next decade same sex marriage will be as common and opposite sex marriage.

This brings me to the point of gun control. Anti gun advocates have been for a long time marching against guns in any form lawful or not, automatic or not, basically any time of weapon. In fact it can be said that gun control laws have been building since the late 1700's in America. The Saint Valentine's Day massacre during the winter of 1929, Gun Control Act of 1968, even the killing of famed John Lennon has cause the subject of gun control to come up in main stream media. Some argue that these are preventative measures to safeguard lives while others state it infringes on law abiding citizens rights. Any way you look at it gun control is building steam.

Today Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy signed into law bans on certain weapons as well has high capacity magazines. This gets me wondering... How long will it be before America jumps on the Band Wagon like every other fight and decided to severely limit guns in any form and possibly take them away. Remember that marriage equality saw an overwhelming resistance in the early days just as gun control laws are of today. So who's to say that in the next 100 years the popular belief is that guns should be outlawed. It is probably something we wont see in our lifetime but our gun rights are slowly being chipped away. Other countries have adopted gun bans and effective or not it is still a possibility.

Maybe I am thinking too deep into the matter... Maybe I have the wrong idea all together.... but I would like to know what you think. Am I crazy? Be honest. I am being honest by sharing with you what im feeling and I consider myself to be open minded. I could be missing something.

Thanks!

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Will the day come.....
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
I think the last decade was a fairly pro-gun decade...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 08:53:36 AM by TheQ »
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
Re: Will the day come.....
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 08:09:47 AM »
The things you mentioned are why this country has become a joke, we use to be a superpower now we borrow and cower constantly. People used to stand up when something was wrong, now most don't want to hurt somebody's feelings so they cower and just let bad things happen.

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 08:54:09 AM »
What Super Trucker said.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 10:21:58 AM »
It's already started. I have seen a significant change in my lifetime.

I used to be able to buy pistols across the kitchen table from small mom & pop FFLs. Not anymore because...

"Oh my god, they're selling guns right in my neighborhood."
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

xerxescct

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 11:13:56 AM »
I have an old quote from a movie called "The American President" in which Micheal Douglas' character says

"You cannot address crime prevention without getting rid of assault weapons and hand guns. I consider them a threat to national security, and I will go door-to-door if I have to, but I'm gonna convince Americans that I'm right, and I'm gonna get the guns."

Is this what some people really think? I can not even fathom the idea of not having a weapon for personal or national defense. No matter what the criminals will always find a way and that day means they have the upper hand.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Will the day come.....
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 11:45:58 AM »
I have an old quote from a movie called "The American President" in which Micheal Douglas' character says

"You cannot address crime prevention without getting rid of assault weapons and hand guns. I consider them a threat to national security, and I will go door-to-door if I have to, but I'm gonna convince Americans that I'm right, and I'm gonna get the guns."

Is this what some people really think? I can not even fathom the idea of not having a weapon for personal or national defense. No matter what the criminals will always find a way and that day means they have the upper hand.

It was an otherwise very good movie -- so sad.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).