Author Topic: Tips on Avoiding "Consensual" Police Encounters  (Read 6344 times)

Offline METL

Re: Tips on Avoiding "Consensual" Police Encounters
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 10:38:01 AM »
Their tips aren't very good.... 

Stick with the old "am I being detained" and if no, walk away....  repeat it if necessary...  if asked about anything, respectfully disclaim: "I don't consent to searches or seizures".... keep moving.....   

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Tips on Avoiding "Consensual" Police Encounters
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 01:51:09 PM »
Their tips aren't very good.... 

Stick with the old "am I being detained" and if no, walk away....  repeat it if necessary...  if asked about anything, respectfully disclaim: "I don't consent to searches or seizures".... keep moving.....

+1
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TexasSupporter

• First Name (Displayed): James
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 09:28:22 PM »
Thats good advice, but I have a question.   Of course, I'm here in Texas, a state that infringes my right to carry openly.  So I have gotten into the habit of starting up conversations with police officers and sheriff deputies, asking what they think of open carry.  They give me a lot of silly answers, and I educate them, specifically telling them that 44 states now allow open carry.  I always talk about my home state of Michigan, and Michigan Open Carry, and we have a good conversation and I go on my way.  Ok, so here's the question:   Bad idea?  That's my question.  Is it a bad idea what I'm doing, talking and trying to educate the cops?  It opens up a "consensual" police encounter, but it also educates them - and believe me, they need it!  Thanks for any input.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 10:18:05 PM »
I suppose you could get a **** officer who might elect to try and give you trouble over something, but other than that it's up to you.  I try to avoid any encounters, consensual or not.  (I have better things to do).

Although I did not try to end my last one.  I was in the desert on the Mexican border in a 4WD and talked with a border patrol agent in his 4WD who crossed my path. 

Offline TexasSupporter

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 09:26:29 PM »
That's interesting, that you would say "I have better things to do" than talk with police about the people's rights.  After all, Michigan Open Carry's great success has been in the education of the Michigan State Police, as well as countless local police departments, regarding the people's right to openly carry.  If it weren't for MOC's fairly "in your face" exercise of the right to open carry, I dare say that the right would be far less "safe" to exercise these days.  Three cheers for MOC!  And for all (pat, pat... including myself) who talk with police to educate them.  I DO have the time, because its important to MAKE the time.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 10:10:45 PM »
Michigan Open Carry's great success has been in the education of the Michigan State Police, as well as countless local police departments, regarding the people's right to openly carry.

Working with management from the top down. 

Offline TexasSupporter

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 07:13:44 PM »
Cool, then I'm on the right track.  I talk to regular cops, but also have taken my conversation to the state's sheriffs.  They are the only elected law enforcement officials, and the top law official in their respective counties.