Author Topic: Campus 'Active Shooter' Plans  (Read 4761 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Campus 'Active Shooter' Plans
« on: February 01, 2013, 03:27:55 PM »
Here's a few (don't have cites for all):

Active Shooter
(If you hear gunfire or see a person with a gun, take immediate steps to protect your students and yourself).

1. Stop Class
2. If you are near an exterior exit, try to escape from the building.
3. If you are in an office or classroom, immediately close the door and lock it if possible. Use desks and chairs to block the doorway.
4. Stay away from windows and out of view. Turn off the lights. Hide behind Heavy furniture or anything that will hide your location and protect you from bullets.
5. If a phone is available, call 911.
6. If you are in an open area, find a room to hide in.
7. If the gunman approaches you, your actions will depend solely on your judgement and capabilities. No strategy is 100% effective.
Ball State University

"If there is absolutely no opportunity of escape or hiding, it might be possible to negotiate with the shooter; attempting to overpower the shooter with force should be considered a very last resort and only after all other options have been exhausted. If the shooter leaves the area, proceed immediately to a safer place. Do not touch anything that was in the area of the shooter because of possible explosives being left and crucial evidence being lost."
Ivy Tech's Active Shooter on Campus procedure:

1.Move out of the hallways into classroom or office. If in office or classroom, remain there. DO NOT EVACUATE INTO THE HALLWAYS OR EXIT THE BUILDING.
2. Lock doors (if locks are available) and barricade door with furniture.
3. Turn off lights in room.
4. Move away from doors and windows.
5. Lie on floor and wait for emergency personnel.
Rose-Hulman

1.  Gunfire - If you become aware of gunfire occurring in the building, attempt to evacuate immediately. If evacuation might place you and/or fellow building occupants at risk, take refuge in a room that can be locked. The room should also provide limited visibility to anyone that is outside of it. Secure the door and hide under a desk, in a closet or in the corner.
Butler University's plan

7.16.5 If an active shooter enters your office or classroom Try to remain calm. Call BUPD, if possible, and alert police to the shooter’s location; if you can’t speak, leave the line open so the dispatcher can listen to what’s taking place. Normally the location of a 911 call can be determined without speaking. If there is absolutely no opportunity for escape or hiding, it might not be possible to negotiate with an active shooter; attempting to overpower the shooter with force should be considered, after all other options have been exhausted. If the shooter leaves the area, proceed immediately to a safe place and do not touch anything that was in the vicinity of the shooter.

Offline Mando21

Re: Campus 'Active Shooter' Plans
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 09:32:21 PM »
Rather absurd... don't you think?  I seem to recall one college advising that students through pencils and text books at the assailant.  However, I get this funny feeling that a gun just might work better.
The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, anytime, and with utter recklessness.

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Campus 'Active Shooter' Plans
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 10:33:36 PM »
"Duck and cover"...because that was such a good plan in the 60's.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 03:08:14 PM »
"Duck and cover"...because that was such a good plan in the 60's.
Hey, it worked for me.
I didn't get killed by a nuclear bomb.
But really look at what they say. Do this, don't do this. Do that, no don't do that. They are all over the board with the ideas. What about "have a pistol and defend yourself"? That seems like a great idea.

Offline METL

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 10:23:55 AM »
*hear gunfire

METL community college

Step 1.  Barricade door if possible
Step 2.  Ready firearm and aim at door
Step 3.  Wait.
Step 4.  Should gunman come to door, FIRE.

Offline PharaohMagic

• "So let it be written;so let it be done."
    • NC Lock Service LLC
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 10:29:58 AM »
METL, absolutly brilliant! I love this plan, also only 4 steps to remember.  8)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 10:40:19 AM »
*hear gunfire

METL community college

Step 1.  Barricade door if possible
Step 2.  Ready firearm and aim at door
Step 3.  Wait.
Step 4.  Should gunman come to door, FIRE.

ALTERNATE PLAN (if feasible)
Step 1. GTFO while keeping situational awareness.

Added alternate plan.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline METL

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 04:34:52 PM »
Added alternate plan.

Yes, agreed... definitely GTFO if you can... and take some sheep with you.  I"ve told my kids that if they hear gun shots at the school that they are not to follow the teacher's commands to get under the table or whatever and to run out the backdoor of the class or hop out a window.   Get outside.  Hide in the woods.  Heh...     No reason to wait for the slaughter.