Author Topic: A little confused...  (Read 3734 times)

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
A little confused...
« on: February 11, 2013, 03:36:59 PM »
So back in December, I purchased a handgun. I had to get a purchase permit from the police station.  I got it with no problem. Today I tried purchasing another handgun from gander mountain, and they said it got delayed...  Anyone know why that would happen?  Nothing's changed since I bought the last one.  I did turn in my cpl paperwork last week, would that have anything to do with it?  I'm just a little confused.  They did say however that if it doesn't clear within 8 days they will sell it to me anyway. 
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
Re: A little confused...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 05:55:39 PM »
So back in December, I purchased a handgun. I had to get a purchase permit from the police station.  I got it with no problem. Today I tried purchasing another handgun from gander mountain, and they said it got delayed...  Anyone know why that would happen?  Nothing's changed since I bought the last one.  I did turn in my cpl paperwork last week, would that have anything to do with it?  I'm just a little confused.  They did say however that if it doesn't clear within 8 days they will sell it to me anyway.

Prior to the recent change in law FFL's did not have to submit a background check through NICS because the local police department had already taken care of it which made the process a lot more simple, now it all goes directly through NICS.  There's several things that can cause it, the most common being that there is someone out there with the same name as you and they have to verify who they are checking on before they ok the sale.  When I worked at Dunhams selling firearms I had to deal with that a lot, especially with common names. 

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 08:25:42 PM »
Two entirely different checks. One, done by the police was a background check of YOU. The other was a cross reference check against a list of people. The list probably doesn't have YOU on it. Rather, as Yancer said, it has a lot of people that look like you.

I've had the same thing happen. Not a denial. Just not an immediate approval. The FFL couldn't transfer it right then and there. But he could in 5 days. He didn't even have to call back in 5 days.

Therein lies the whole problem with the BS national data base. Just like the "No fly" list, it is wrought with errors. I don't really have a problem with a real background check done on ME. But I do have a problem with comparing me to a list of a whole bunch that might look like ME.

Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:57:53 PM »
Alright thanks for the input.  I did come across this site: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/federal-firearms-licensees/a-nics-delay.  So if it doesn't come back approved within 3 days, I could legally buy it occording to that?  Gander mountain says 8 days, but if I were to show them the FBI site, you think they would do it Friday?  I'm not worried about being denied. I just really wanted to go shoot it!  If I were to get denied, what would one do?  Just go to the police station and get a purchase permit where I know I will get approved? Or try and dispute it?  I guess I'm putting the carriage in front of the horse...  I'm just antsy for a new gun. Lol.
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 02:41:10 PM »
I got the "proceed" status this afternoon. Everything went off without a hitch!

Offline bigbob

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 06:11:43 PM »
I get delayed about 70% of the time i buy a firearm. If it becomes a problem in the future, I have been told there is something you can do about getting a personalized number to put on the form. I dont know the specifics, just thought id let ya know.