Author Topic: Carry preference  (Read 16085 times)

Offline JaccFrost

• What do I have to be afraid of? Nothing...
  • First Name (Displayed): Joe
Carry preference
« on: February 16, 2013, 03:37:34 AM »
Just starting out and not really sure. I can see pros and cons for each...

Of course this applies to open carry alone, as I have made a choice for my concealed carry long ago..

Sound off
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 04:27:39 PM by JaccFrost »
As someone who carries, I fully accept responsibility and the consequences of my actions..

Offline erdman66

Re: Carry preference
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 09:15:55 AM »
Can we see some answers so I can see what's most common? I'm waiting for my cpl in the mail, just looking for some ideas.    Thanks

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Carry preference
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 01:11:33 PM »
I'm not entirely sure what the OP is asking.

For OC I always, always carry my Springfield XDm in my Safariland ALS on or near my left hip.

For CC I will:

* IWB that full sized XDm
* Pocket carry an LC9
* if pocket carry of LC9 isn't suitable, I've been known to ankle carry it.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Carry preference
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 01:14:18 PM »
As far as OC v CC the only advantage I have found in CC is that if you carry in pocket, you can have your hand on the grip of your gun without fearing legal issues. This is handy if someone approaches you who doesn't smell right. I've been known to put my hand in my pocket on said situations as I make distance between myself and him.

Offline JaccFrost

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 03:30:15 PM »
Basically, the OP is just curious of your preference or recommendation. That's why it was started as a poll. Curiosity.
As someone who carries, I fully accept responsibility and the consequences of my actions..

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 05:05:50 PM »
Basically, the OP is just curious of your preference or recommendation. That's why it was started as a poll. Curiosity.

The poll isn't visible via Tapatalk, which is where I usually check in on the Forums ;)

I voted.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 05:38:13 PM »
My personal preference is right hip (right handed shooter) with an active retention holster.

Offline erdman66

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 01:20:26 AM »
Thank you for the few answers. I thought my question was very clear, since the subject is on carry preference and the only options are cc. I CC a G27 but I wear a button up shirt and jeans all day at work and no cargo pants so my options are limited. Im in my truck a lot of the day so I will just leave it in there whenever I'm working.  What would be best for me before I go out and just start buying holsters? Summer time same outfit as well for work.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Carry preference
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 08:19:58 AM »
Thank you for the few answers. I thought my question was very clear, since the subject is on carry preference and the only options are cc. I CC a G27 but I wear a button up shirt and jeans all day at work and no cargo pants so my options are limited. Im in my truck a lot of the day so I will just leave it in there whenever I'm working.  What would be best for me before I go out and just start buying holsters? Summer time same outfit as well for work.

What gun you going to OC?

Offline METL

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 10:36:52 AM »
Personally, I think OC without a retention holster is irresponsible.  I know others feel they can still protect/retain their firearm, but for me it is not a good idea to OC without one.

Q, you're left handed?!

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 11:10:13 AM »
Personally, I think OC without a retention holster is irresponsible.  I know others feel they can still protect/retain their firearm, but for me it is not a good idea to OC without one.

Q, you're left handed?!

I'm a righty.

Offline JaccFrost

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 01:11:41 PM »
I too personally prefer the idea of active retention, like a trigger finger button or thumb break or thumb button release. I am still reviewing my choices for open carry holsters and haven't made up my mind yet.

CC I carry a tuckable IWB holster between the 3 and 4 'o c**k position.

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 04:58:18 PM »
CC I carry a tuckable IWB holster between the 3 and 4 'o c**k position.
I would like to buy an "L".

Offline woodtic31

• First Name (Displayed): Reg
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 05:57:37 PM »
Carry SR40c or SR9c. Use a Serpa level2 (finger release). OC or CC.
I like knowing, that if they try to take my pistol (if they miss the release) they are going to take me along. They may or may not live to regret their foolish mistake.
North East Michigan Coordinator

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 09:39:23 PM »
Carry SR40c or SR9c. Use a Serpa level2 (finger release). OC or CC.
I like knowing, that if they try to take my pistol (if they miss the release) they are going to take me along. They may or may not live to regret their foolish mistake.
Oh no, you said the " s" word. Get ready for some reasons why you shouldn't use a serpa.

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 11:29:12 AM »
Bianchi Model 5 or 7 for me.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline JaccFrost

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 11:57:25 AM »
I would like to buy an "L".

What is an "L"

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Carry preference
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 12:07:38 PM »

Offline JaccFrost

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 12:15:59 PM »
Ahhh, i get it now, haha. My mistake, didn't know i misspelled it. Must love auto correct on cell phones. Wheel of fortune was a Lil before my time...kinda. At least never watched it anyway. But, i will sell you an "L." Even make ya a good deal since you are an MOC member...

Offline Hammurabi

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 02:17:17 PM »
From what I remember, only vowels are bought anyway.

Offline METL

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 03:31:15 PM »
For OC I always, always carry my Springfield XDm in my Safariland ALS on or near my left hip.

I'm a righty.

Color me confused!!!!

Offline JaccFrost

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 03:49:44 PM »
Cross draw? Though unlikely..

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 04:11:40 PM »
Ahhh, i get it now, haha. My mistake, didn't know i misspelled it. Must love auto correct on cell phones. Wheel of fortune was a Lil before my time...kinda. At least never watched it anyway. But, i will sell you an "L." Even make ya a good deal since you are an MOC member...

First off Im not that old (30). And second "before your time"? They still have new episodes every week night. Third, well I dont have a third but stuff sounds better in 3's.

From what I remember, only vowels are bought anyway.
Correct only have to pay for vowel but they just yell out consonants so I didnt think it would be understood if I just posted  "L".

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 05:51:36 PM »
I prefer the iTac OWB paddle holsters myself, they have a retention button you deactivate with your trigger finger and as with most you can adjust the cant of the holster.

Offline woodtic31

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 08:59:42 PM »
Oh no, you said the " s" word. Get ready for some reasons why you shouldn't use a serpa.
Yeah I"m sure some one will have negative comments, but, I have never had a draw that my finger was anywhere but on the side of the pistol where it should be while in the ready position. I've seen some posts about AD's with a serpa. And about some ranges that have outlawed them.... Practice, practice, practice,,,, did I say PRACTICE??? I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, it may have been the set-up on the holster. A forward cant of about 15 degrees works for me. Did I mention PRACTICE?? LOL

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Carry preference
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 01:57:12 AM »
Yeah I"m sure some one will have negative comments, but, I have never had a draw that my finger was anywhere but on the side of the pistol where it should be while in the ready position. I've seen some posts about AD's with a serpa. And about some ranges that have outlawed them.... Practice, practice, practice,,,, did I say PRACTICE??? I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, it may have been the set-up on the holster. A forward cant of about 15 degrees works for me. Did I mention PRACTICE?? LOL

You forgot to mention how snow jams them up and locks your gun in the holster -- rendering you unable to draw...

But who us keeping track?

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
Re: Re: Carry preference
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 10:16:17 AM »
You forgot to mention how snow jams them up and locks your gun in the holster -- rendering you unable to draw...

But who us keeping track?
Or if he ever had to draw in a stressfull situation where fine motor skills are limited.

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 12:48:53 PM »
Everybody let it slide, but you had to bring it back up. Hopefully you never get any shirt lint in the release. And dont let Q push ya in any snow banks and it should be fine.

Offline JaccFrost

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 01:15:55 PM »
I have been eyeing Galco's M6X auto-locking and the M4X Matrix auto-locking. Instead of using the trigger finger, you use the thumb, which is already going to be in that location in a proper draw anyways(proper draw more or less is you drawing and not someone trying to take your gun). Not sure what the difference is between the two holsters except overall appearance.

I have heard the arguments about fine motor skills in a high stress situation but its not like that release is something you couldn't do while drawing whether you were wearing mittens or not; I use mittens as an example cause I have also have heard allot of people say it is like wearing mittens when you lose fine motor skills as a comparison.

But everyone does have their own opinion and preferences, and that is why there are so many options available for the end user. Just have to find what works best for you and what you are most comfortable with I suppose.

I really enjoy seeing what people have been saying and it is all good feedback and input. Some of us just need a place to start since there are so many choices out there in a wide variety of prices.

Lets keep it going...

Offline METL

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 01:39:43 PM »
Safariland ALS

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Carry preference
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 01:54:19 PM »
SERPA:

Safariland ALS technically has a similar problem but do to the tight design of the holster it's harder to get snow, dirt, and debris down by the locking mechanism.

Offline woodtic31

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 12:23:09 PM »
Everybody let it slide, but you had to bring it back up. Hopefully you never get any shirt lint in the release. And dont let Q push ya in any snow banks and it should be fine.
I'll remember to check for lint often. LOL. As far as Q pushing me into a snow bank, judging from his size in his pics, I think I can take him. LOL (just kidding Q). I do have two holsters from BDStactical on the way that will be used for the rough and tough outdoors stuff. If anyone would like me to review the, I would be happy to do that after I've had a chance to spend some time wearing them.
Good video Q. It was eye opening to say the least, but I'm thinking most people, my self included, will not be rolling around in the snow and dirt. Just sayin.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 01:15:17 PM »
If anyone would like me to review the, I would be happy to do that after I've had a chance to spend some time wearing them.

Yes.  See PM.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 04:42:57 PM »
I'll remember to check for lint often. LOL. As far as Q pushing me into a snow bank, judging from his size in his pics, I think I can take him. LOL (just kidding Q). I do have two holsters from BDStactical on the way that will be used for the rough and tough outdoors stuff. If anyone would like me to review the, I would be happy to do that after I've had a chance to spend some time wearing them.
Good video Q. It was eye opening to say the least, but I'm thinking most people, my self included, will not be rolling around in the snow and dirt. Just sayin.

At least not until someone jumps you and you get into a rolling/ground tussle fight over your gun.

Offline woodtic31

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 06:01:46 PM »
 If I am on the ground rolling around in a tussle, the last thing I want to do is draw my weapon. I would rather concentrate on kicken this guy's/gal's ass than worrying and getting shot with my own weapon.  ::)

Offline woodtic31

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 06:12:58 PM »
Just got word, my BDStactical shoulder holster is on the way. I'll try and do some OC with it this weekend. Can't wait to get the dropleg holster. Wondering, would OC with two weapons be to much for the general public ??? LOL  Anyone ever try it???

Offline Rustykeys

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2013, 11:27:04 PM »

I know what you are saying about retention but in my case what would you do? I carry a Ruger P95 9mm and have not been able to find a retention holster to fit it. The BlackHawk is the only open carry holster that I have found that supports my firearm. Fits tight and carry with a forward cant to it. I carry mostly concealed with a Crossbread IWB Super Tuck which is very comfortable and probably because I am not totally comfortable with the BlackHawk. If you know of any retention holster fitting my Ruger I would be greatful for the information. And purchasing a new firearm at this moment is not an option.

“We must hang together, gentlemen…else, we shall most assuredly hang separately.”

– Benjamin Franklin

A right not exercised is a right lost.

Offline METL

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 09:44:44 AM »
I know what you are saying about retention but in my case what would you do? I carry a Ruger P95 9mm and have not been able to find a retention holster to fit it. The BlackHawk is the only open carry holster that I have found that supports my firearm. Fits tight and carry with a forward cant to it. I carry mostly concealed with a Crossbread IWB Super Tuck which is very comfortable and probably because I am not totally comfortable with the BlackHawk. If you know of any retention holster fitting my Ruger I would be greatful for the information. And purchasing a new firearm at this moment is not an option.

YOu gotta do what you gotta do, I would just be very aware of it and study methods of manual retention...  also, I"m sure you could find a thumb break holster for it... which is level II retention if I"m not mistaken....   it's just not auto-locking... 

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 10:33:29 AM »
Just got word, my BDStactical shoulder holster is on the way. I'll try and do some OC with it this weekend. Can't wait to get the dropleg holster. Wondering, would OC with two weapons be to much for the general public ??? LOL  Anyone ever try it???
A shoulder holster and a drop leg, is your name Neil by chance?

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 11:08:22 AM »
You stole the words right off my fingers.

Offline woodtic31

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2013, 06:27:17 PM »
OK, I'll bite. No, my name is not Neil. What's the story? Don't plan on carrying two at one time,,,,well maybe,,,,,, have to see how bad the world gets in the future.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Carry preference
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2013, 06:46:24 PM »
OK, I'll bite. No, my name is not Neil. What's the story? Don't plan on carrying two at one time,,,,well maybe,,,,,, have to see how bad the world gets in the future.

Any threat that mentions his name usually ends up getting split and half to the ammo dump v

Offline woodtic31

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
Any threat that mentions his name usually ends up getting split and half to the ammo dump v
Oh S**T !!! Better mind my P's and Q's.   LOL