Author Topic: Couple questions rolled into 1  (Read 4334 times)

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
Couple questions rolled into 1
« on: February 19, 2013, 12:41:19 AM »
I just picked up a Ruger LCR 357.  Im interested in getting a shoulder holster (i think i would prefer a horizontal for such a little gun, but have never used a shoulder holster before, so i might be wrong)  Anyone have any input on what a good one is?  I've done a little looking, and seem to keep coming back to the Galco. I guess the main reason for wanting a shoulder rig would be when i ride my motorcycle, in case i would happen to crash, the gun wouldnt be as exposed as something on a hip, and i would assume be more comfortable for long distances. 

now to the loaded question...  Is a shoulder holster (in your opinion) considered open carry?  I am hopefully getting my cpl soon, but in the meantime, would you carry a gun in a shoulder holster WITHOUT having a cpl?   Im kind of in a mixed feeling state.  on one side, it would be extremely obvious (i would think) that i have a gun strapped on.  Should be visible from almost any direction (unlike a holster on the hip, which someone on opposite side might not see).  But, its possible that my arm would be covering the gun, therefore possibly "concealing" it...  What do you think?

And back to the holster suggestions.  Let me know what you have/tried, liked/didnt like etc.  Is there somewhere in the grand rapids area that has a large selection of holsters, so i might be able to try a few and see what i like?  I plan on getting a waistband holster as well.... 
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
Re: Couple questions rolled into 1
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 12:47:56 AM »
While I do have my CPL, I use either a Galco shoulder holster or a Fobus paddle holster strong side. The shoulder holster is more comfortable for me some days as i have some abdominal issues that makes wearing a belt real tight an issue. I am not a lawyer but in my mind a shoulder holster is just as "open carry" as a hip holster provided there is nothing covering it, such as a vest. But this is my own personal opinion, others may disagree.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 11:35:57 AM »
A shoulder holster on a bike accident leaves more to think about than concealment. Broken ribs is one thing I have personally seen.
Shoulder holsters for open carry are risky, in that if you are in front of some people you will not stay that way very long. Looking down the barrel of somebody's gun that you have no idea who the person is or what back room gunsmithing operations have been done is something I've seen talking about many times.
If you think working on the set of "Miami Vice" is a job option then go ahead, otherwise use another option.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 11:58:56 AM »
I see your point on getting into an accident.  But I think I would much rather have a gun under my arm under a jacket with armor in it if I were going to crash, than a gun on my hip with no protection whatsoever...
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 12:01:23 PM »
A shoulder holster on a bike accident leaves more to think about than concealment. Broken ribs is one thing I have personally seen.
Shoulder holsters for open carry are risky, in that if you are in front of some people you will not stay that way very long. Looking down the barrel of somebody's gun that you have no idea who the person is or what back room gunsmithing operations have been done is something I've seen talking about many times.
If you think working on the set of "Miami Vice" is a job option then go ahead, otherwise use another option.

Hate to disagree but I have used my shoulder holster several times and no one has moved to get away from being behind me, nor even seemed to notice or care.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline Hammurabi

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 02:13:31 PM »
Hate to disagree but I have used my shoulder holster several times and no one has moved to get away from being behind me, nor even seemed to notice or care.
Although I don't use a horizontal shoulder rig often, this is consistent with my experience.

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 02:34:20 PM »
Shoulder holsters have their place but have many disadvantages. Same with cross-draws. Get a strong side holster. It is too easy to be disarmed with a shoulder holster or cross-draw. Not to mention the time delay and near impossibility to pull from such a holster without flagging yourself.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 12:33:50 PM »
Well I went ahead and bought a galco "jackass" shoulder rig, and a horizontal holster for my revolver.   Like I said this will be more for carrying under my jacket while riding my motorcycle.  I guess the only way ill know
If I like it or not, is to actually try it.  Kind of an expensive trial, but I guess I could try and sell it if I don't like it. I have a crossbreed iwb holster on the way for my m&p. I decided I would try my hand at making my own iwb holster for the ruger.  Spent about 50 bucks and got all the materials needed to make 5 or 6 holsters (if I'm good enough at it). Figure this way I can make it exactly how I like.