Author Topic: carry while using crutches looking for input, your thoughts  (Read 4126 times)

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
carry while using crutches looking for input, your thoughts
« on: February 20, 2013, 07:10:57 PM »
Thanks for reading this.
I have recently broken my ankle ( strong side ) and wonder what people think as far as safety of carry? I am currently in a boot using crutches and no weight bearing allowed on it.
I guess I am looking for thoughts yes no. Open or concealed etc.

I will be open carrying on Saturday at Old Country Buffet in Battle Creek as I know I can trust people around me to help me if needed. But I am just slightly concerned if I were out in public open carrying. I can see concealed carry as a great alternate in this situation.

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
Re: carry while using crutches looking for input, your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 07:35:48 PM »
Having had to be on crutches before, I understand the practicalities. With no weight bearing, you are further limited. Even with a retention holster, it is easier for someone who thinks you are an easy mark to make a try for your gun. You will fall more easily and be that much easier to overpower.

Your attention will be divided between being careful not to fall, and being aware of your surroundings to maintain control of your gun, etc.

If it was me, I would CC, but figuring out the best placement to avoid injury in case of a fall is the challenge.

You could always mod your crutches to contain a shotgun, Biden says that's best anyway. ;)
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline FASBOLD

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 07:37:24 PM »
Sorry to hear of your injury. You mentioned surgery as a possibility, I take it that it isn't needed?

Hope things heal up fast.

"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
~ Unknown

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:22:12 PM »
Thanks Larry, unfortunately surgery is looking as the way it will be. Love the shotgun reference.
Like you I feel cc is better but I do want this to be a thought process for all too. 

Offline FASBOLD

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 09:40:53 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Broken ankles don't heal right without it

My ex is a klutz and fell down the stairs one morning going downstairs to the bathroom. Broke both the fibia and tibia just above the ankle. Had to have surgery and got a plate and several screws.

One of the screws had to come out once she healed up, I still have it so I can prove she has a screw loose.
~ Abraham Lincoln
~ Unknown

Offline Bronson

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 10:21:39 PM »
Having recently been on crutches for a few days myself I, personally, wouldn't worry about falling.  In that situation I'd go straight to the ground and fight from there.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline PharaohMagic

• "So let it be written;so let it be done."
    • NC Lock Service LLC
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 10:18:53 AM »
My thoughts exactly Bronson.  8)

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 10:23:38 AM »
Hitting somebody in the pebbles/shin/knee/throat with a crutch would most likely slow them down.

Offline JaccFrost

• What do I have to be afraid of? Nothing...
  • First Name (Displayed): Joe
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 01:21:28 PM »
I think CC would be a better option as well since it is likely very few people would be aware you are carrying, which means they are not thinking about taking it from you.

And I also agree with what bronson said, makes sense, it is where you will be most effective. With that said, I also always carry a knife as well.

I would definitely not let the crutches deter me from carrying either way. Maybe if you were to OC, a shoulder rig would be better suited, but with every option comes it owns pros and cons. You would then have to think about cross draw...just a thought.
As someone who carries, I fully accept responsibility and the consequences of my actions..