Author Topic: Another court rules that CC bans are legal, but hints OC bans may not be  (Read 5486 times)

Offline detroit_fan

• AmmoDump
  • 2 chairs, no waiting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
Well the 7th circuit COA ruled you do have the right to CC, the 2nd and 10th ruled you don't. Could this pave the way for a SCOTUS case involving the right to CC?

The court only ruled on the right to CC, and some believe that they may have hinted that if you challenged an OC ban it may bot be ruled the same way.

Snip-

On Friday, though, a spokesman for the Second Amendment Foundation, which filed a brief in support of Peterson, played down the significance of the ruling.

"It's an interesting ruling," said Dave Workman of the foundation.

"They don't really say it's unconstitutional to carry a gun, just that concealed carry is not protected. So I presume open carry is an option. It's a kind of a narrow case we'll just have to wait and see what happens."

The 10th Circuit's ruling comes on the same day gun rights activists were celebrating a victory, as a federal appeals court in Chicago said it won't reconsider an earlier ruling that Illinois' concealed-carry ban is unconstitutional.

Read more: Federal court: No Second Amendment guarantee for concealed carry - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22648641/federal-court-no-second-amendment-guarantee-concealed-carry#ixzz2Lwz80cgj
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Another court rules that CC bans are legal, but hints OC bans may not be
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 08:16:39 PM »
I think that is accurate.  You can bear arms.  If the state wants to prohibit one method of bearing arms but allow another, that would probably stand.  As long as they don't prohibit it altogether.

Offline TexasSupporter

• First Name (Displayed): James
I think that is accurate.  You can bear arms.  If the state wants to prohibit one method of bearing arms but allow another, that would probably stand.  As long as they don't prohibit it altogether.

You may be right that the state will try to do that, and have it stand.  But it doesn't make it right by any means.  My right to "keep and bear arms" shall not be infringed.  So telling me I can only conceal carry, as they do to me here in Texas, is a crock!  "Allowing" me to have to conceal my gun, with all the limitations that imposes (uncomfortable, smaller gun, fewer rounds, slower draw, not always having gun with you perhaps, and probably not carrying your favorite firearm), while simultaneously requiring me to get a recurring permit with all its fees and waiting periods of months, is a bunch of bull.  I am fighting the good fight, here in Texas, for Open Carry.  You guys at Michigan Open Carry have been inspirational and a great source of information.  I applaud you all, and am proud to still call Michigan "home" after 20 years in Texas.  All I have for now is my YouTube channel, but I hope to build a site like yours. (To find me, go to YouTube and search:  "Texas Open Carry" and click on "Constantine Patrioti" and/or the Minuteman Statue in Lexington photo.  Don't laugh... it's nothing like Michigan Open Carry, but I have videos and some money coming soon to put towards a better site).

Offline TexasSupporter

Ok, I see that I can put my Texas Open Carry website address in my profile, so hope it shows now.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
Interesting concept on changing one word, TexasSupporter.  Kinda makes it clear, doesn't it?

Btw, I enjoy spending time in the Big Bend region of Texas.  Been there twice in the last two years.

Offline TexasSupporter

Oh cool, you saw my video on the right of the people "to keep and bear Bibles"?   Thanks for saying that Gryphon!  I will be coming up to Michigan soon to finally attend one of your events and OC with you guys.  Can't wait, and I'm sure you all are a wealth of knowledge and information that will surely help the cause here in Texas.  After I've been to a few events with MOC, I'd like to propose we have one in Ann Arbor, and specifically we go to "The Rock" on Washtenaw Avenue near the university campus.  "The Rock" is a huge granite rock that was placed in a tiny triangular park back in 1932, with a bronze plaque commemorating the 200th birthday of George Washington.  Since then, however, it has become a common event for college students to paint over it with various messages, so much so that the paint is quite thick and the bronze plaque to Washington is covered and buried beneath it.  You have no idea how much publicity MOC could get (good publicity) if we go as a group to The Rock, openly carrying, and remove the paint to reveal, once again, this bronze plaque memorial to our greatest Founding Father.  Let me know what you think.  I was thinking we could do that sometime this spring.  By the way, gryphon, I have been here in Texas 20 years, but grew up in Michigan and know it far better than here.  I only really know Dallas/Fort Worth, Frisco, Plano, and the northern areas near Oklahoma.  I have heard about Big Bend but never have gone there.  Any recommendations for me for taking my 11 year old son there to Big Bend, where he'd have fun too? 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:47:00 PM by TexasSupporter »

Offline TexasSupporter

Sorry I got off topic on this guys, but here's a link to a good little article about "The Rock" in Ann Arbor.  I mentioned in my post above how we could have an event this spring to OC, while cleaning the rock and revealing the bronze memorial plaque to George Washington: 

http://www.annarbor.com/news/the-rock-may-be-fun-to-paint-but-its-a-pain-for-city-residents/

I notice too that the author stated many residents - and even the city itself - were not too pleased with all the chaos that the painting has caused.   So we would have them on our side, it would be a great event for MOC, and we could unveil the 200th anniversary memorial plaque to Washington, placed in 1932.  Maybe we can start a new tradition there:  respect, reverence, and goodwill - all while honoring our founding father who risked all for us.  Thanks for your consideration.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:42:14 PM by TexasSupporter »

Offline detroit_fan

• AmmoDump
  • 2 chairs, no waiting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
I hope we meet at a future event TexasSupporter, you sound like a good guy who is very passionate about the cause. Keep the the good fight down in the Lone Star State

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  Any recommendations for me for taking my 11 year old son there to Big Bend, where he'd have fun too?

See PM.

Offline METL

See PM.

FYI:   I'm not sure you can read PM if you're not a member...   

Offline TexasSupporter

Yep, I did get the PM - and thanks gryphon for the great review and awesome photos!  I am a member, though not a paid one yet, but will be switching to paid status this month.   So looks like the PMs still work even on a non-paid membership.   By the way, do you have any MOC auto stickers that show my support?  That would be a great add-on benefit for the paid memberships.  Otherwise, I'm more than willing to buy one.  And Jason (Detroit_Fan), thanks for kind words.  Look forward to meeting you at an MOC event, hopefully very soon!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 05:20:32 PM by TexasSupporter »

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Another court rules that CC bans are legal, but hints OC bans may not be
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 04:41:45 PM »

FYI:   I'm not sure you can read PM if you're not a member...

I think I "fixed" that a whole back.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).