Author Topic: OC thanks to my recently arrived CPL  (Read 7280 times)

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
OC thanks to my recently arrived CPL
« on: March 02, 2013, 10:00:49 PM »
I got my CPL in the mail a couple days ago as I mentioned on another thread.

Today, when I ran some errands, I OC'd all day.

I stopped at Speedway in Vicksburg to get an iced tea for the beginning of the day. I think some patrons noticed, and may have been talking about me, but that could be my projection. I did feel like all eyes were upon me. I also felt that yesterday at work, when I had to CC due to work rules.

I went to Harbor Freight in Kalamazoo on Stadium drive. No one said a word.

I then wen to Wal-Mart in Portage and no one said a word. I was all over the store trying to find something, and had a long conversation with the clerk in sporting goods about ammo and the 2nd amendment. Of course, they were out of 9mm ammo. I don't know if he saw my gun since he never seemed to look or comment.

I then went to Meijer in Portage, again, no one said a word. I never remember to look for ammo. I have never looked for ammo at Meijer, so may be walking past it. I was all over the side of the store with groceries.

I hit Speedway in Vicksburg again and got another iced tea. No word said.

I walked the dog long enough for her to do her business, and I know one car had a full view of my right side, so if they paid attention, they should have seen my gun.

Overall, no big deal. I was very conscious of feeling like everyone was staring at me, especially the first few minutes in each store. There is only so long one can feel that way and sustain it, so it was less pronounced as the morning and early afternoon wore on. I am sure it will feel less uncomfortable for me as I get used to it, and that becomes "normal".

Either people are oblivious, which does not surprise me, or they don't care, or they are intimidated and project their way out of a confrontation.

Overall, a good day, and a good first day OCing with a CPL.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
Re: OC thanks to my recently arrived CPL
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 10:32:31 PM »
It will become more comfortable and normal, so much so that you will feel uncomfortable and naked when without it.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 11:14:14 PM »
I got my CPL in the mail a couple days ago as I mentioned on another thread.

Today, when I ran some errands, I OC'd all day.

I stopped at Speedway in Vicksburg to get an iced tea for the beginning of the day. I think some patrons noticed, and may have been talking about me, but that could be my projection. I did feel like all eyes were upon me. I also felt that yesterday at work, when I had to CC due to work rules.

I went to Harbor Freight in Kalamazoo on Stadium drive. No one said a word.

I then wen to Wal-Mart in Portage and no one said a word. I was all over the store trying to find something, and had a long conversation with the clerk in sporting goods about ammo and the 2nd amendment. Of course, they were out of 9mm ammo. I don't know if he saw my gun since he never seemed to look or comment.

I then went to Meijer in Portage, again, no one said a word. I never remember to look for ammo. I have never looked for ammo at Meijer, so may be walking past it. I was all over the side of the store with groceries.

I hit Speedway in Vicksburg again and got another iced tea. No word said.

I walked the dog long enough for her to do her business, and I know one car had a full view of my right side, so if they paid attention, they should have seen my gun.

Overall, no big deal. I was very conscious of feeling like everyone was staring at me, especially the first few minutes in each store. There is only so long one can feel that way and sustain it, so it was less pronounced as the morning and early afternoon wore on. I am sure it will feel less uncomfortable for me as I get used to it, and that becomes "normal".

1. Either people are oblivious, which does not surprise me, 2. or they don't care, 3. or they are intimidated and project their way out of a confrontation.

Overall, a good day, and a good first day OCing with a CPL.

I think #1 is the most likely, followed by #2.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline jfmi87

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 04:31:00 AM »
I live not far from Vicksburg and work nearby but frequent the BC area.

I just recently got my CPL and been a little hesitant to OC. I've been a good citizen my whole life not so much as a parking ticket or moving violation and the last thing I want is a MWG call & a cop on a power trip to ruin my weekend. The main reasons for getting a CPL was not to conceal but because of heavy restrictions on OC without it. I've concealed carried a few times but spring has finally sprung in Michigan and the jacket/heavy clothing has to go. Experiences like yours only encourage though, I think I will finally try it this weekend.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
Re: Re: OC thanks to my recently arrived CPL
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 10:37:26 AM »
I live not far from Vicksburg and work nearby but frequent the BC area.

I just recently got my CPL and been a little hesitant to OC. I've been a good citizen my whole life not so much as a parking ticket or moving violation and the last thing I want is a MWG call & a cop on a power trip to ruin my weekend. The main reasons for getting a CPL was not to conceal but because of heavy restrictions on OC without it. I've concealed carried a few times but spring has finally sprung in Michigan and the jacket/heavy clothing has to go. Experiences like yours only encourage though, I think I will finally try it this weekend.
If you are nervous, get with other people and start out with a "support crew".

Offline sircapsalot

• Land of the FREE
  • First Name (Displayed): Dj
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 01:25:49 PM »
It will become more comfortable and normal, so much so that you will feel uncomfortable and naked when without it.

this is very true.   Exactly how I felt when I attended the John Lott lecture at UofM.  >:(