Author Topic: Encounter with Mackinac Island PD  (Read 11345 times)

Offline Evil Creamsicle

• Commie Rifle Fetishist
Encounter with Mackinac Island PD
« on: June 03, 2010, 10:43:39 AM »
I'm gonna brag about my vacation a little... with videos and pictures that will come next... but I actually had two encounters with police this week.

The first was on the way there, at a gas station in Mackinaw City. There were cops hanging out in the gas station when I got there... i went in for a coffee. They looked at me funny but didn't say anything.

My girlfriend was paying for gas, and I went to move the car to a pump. At that point the officers came out to 'talk to me for a second'.

They said they realized OC was legal but that I couldn't OC in the car. I informed them that I did have a CPL. At this point the officer attempted to tell me that I 'couldn't just jump back and forth between OC and CC like that' and that it 'didn't work that way'.

I didn't think this would go well... but these were pro-gun cops. In fact, I think the one that remained silent may have agreed with me more than the older guy... I'll explain in a minute.

By the end of the conversation though, I had turned the tide from 'you can't do that' to more the tune of 'you're legal, but we want you to be careful, because some cop down in Warren might not realize you're legal, and we don't want anything to happen to you.'

Then the other cop kind of interrupted the older guy and was like 'we don't want to keep you from your vacation'... and they left.

Encounter 2:

This one was on the way back from the U.P.. We stopped on Mackinac Island. I was OCing around the island for a while, went in and bought some fudge and had a great time. The girlfriend and I decided to go into Fort Mackinac, and looked around at the historic sites, watched a cannon demonstration, looked at some artifacts...

There were a bunch of boy scouts and kids and stuff around. The boy scouts were actually the honor guard for the Michigan Governor, since her summer residence is on Mackinac Island.

Anyway, we were watching an 1880s rifle demonstration by some army re-enactment guys, when I was approached by two Mackinac Island PD LEOs.

My girlfriend, who was filming the rifle demonstration, had the foresight to back up, and film the encounter instead, so I'll just post the video soon.

I did end up showing them my CPL though because, while I was not being 'detained', I was concealing a BUG so I figured I had better play it safe. Video of that encounter will be up today... this was the first time I've ever had an encounter where someone called police because of me, and they came.
Once armed, a free man can never be disarmed. Only defeated.

Offline viperar15-member

• Michigan Open Carry, Inc
Re: Encounter with Mackinac Island PD
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 11:08:34 AM »
was that over memorial day weekend??!?! cuz i was in mackinaw city that whole weekend!
Shaun Crawford

Offline Evil Creamsicle

• Commie Rifle Fetishist
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 12:04:48 PM »
aw, ya bastid!

I should have had lunch with you or something.

No I couldn't have actually... the Mackinaw City one was on Friday [Saturday?] at like 2 in the morning...

The last one was yesterday.

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 01:15:48 PM »
I'm gonna brag about my vacation a little... with videos and pictures that will come next... but I actually had two encounters with police this week.

The first was on the way there, at a gas station in Mackinaw City. There were cops hanging out in the gas station when I got there... i went in for a coffee. They looked at me funny but didn't say anything.

My girlfriend was paying for gas, and I went to move the car to a pump. At that point the officers came out to 'talk to me for a second'.

They said they realized OC was legal but that I couldn't OC in the car. I informed them that I did have a CPL. At this point the officer attempted to tell me that I 'couldn't just jump back and forth between OC and CC like that' and that it 'didn't work that way'.

I didn't think this would go well... but these were pro-gun cops. In fact, I think the one that remained silent may have agreed with me more than the older guy... I'll explain in a minute.

By the end of the conversation though, I had turned the tide from 'you can't do that' to more the tune of 'you're legal, but we want you to be careful, because some cop down in Warren might not realize you're legal, and we don't want anything to happen to you.'

Then the other cop kind of interrupted the older guy and was like 'we don't want to keep you from your vacation'... and they left.

Encounter 2:

This one was on the way back from the U.P.. We stopped on Mackinac Island. I was OCing around the island for a while, went in and bought some fudge and had a great time. The girlfriend and I decided to go into Fort Mackinac, and looked around at the historic sites, watched a cannon demonstration, looked at some artifacts...

There were a bunch of boy scouts and kids and stuff around. The boy scouts were actually the honor guard for the Michigan Governor, since her summer residence is on Mackinac Island.

Anyway, we were watching an 1880s rifle demonstration by some army re-enactment guys, when I was approached by two Mackinac Island PD LEOs.

My girlfriend, who was filming the rifle demonstration, had the foresight to back up, and film the encounter instead, so I'll just post the video soon.

I did end up showing them my CPL though because, while I was not being 'detained', I was concealing a BUG so I figured I had better play it safe. Video of that encounter will be up today... this was the first time I've ever had an encounter where someone called police because of me, and they came.

Question.

How did you carry on the boat assuming you used the ferry? I know they have TSA rules to surrender the weapon to the captain of the ship. Did they ask you to do so? Did they allow you to OC?

Offline Evil Creamsicle

• Commie Rifle Fetishist
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 02:03:21 PM »

Encounter 2:

Question.

How did you carry on the boat assuming you used the ferry? I know they have TSA rules to surrender the weapon to the captain of the ship. Did they ask you to do so? Did they allow you to OC?

I had my jacket on which partially covers my OC rig... so I don't think they actually noticed. We were on the top deck and the wind up there is pretty cold.

Offline Evil Creamsicle

• Commie Rifle Fetishist
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 02:13:43 PM »
Link coming soon I'm uploading the vid...

Unfortunately the audio isn't that good so if you need clarification anywhere tell me.

ALso the corny comments about the MIPD at the end are because they were still standing right there... lol.

Offline Evil Creamsicle

• Commie Rifle Fetishist
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 05:42:23 PM »
Here, its about friggin time.

And for fun heres some other vids of my vacation:

AK, 75rd Drum:

S12, 20rd Drum:

Driving where I shouldn't:

Fort Mackinac Museum [part of it]:

Mackinac Island Viewpoint:

Cannon Demonstration:

View down through the grates on the Mackinac Bridge:

Rallying in my Grand Am:

10 Slugs out of the S12 [Killing my Printer]:

Tahquamenon Lower Falls [Partial]:

Tahquamenon Lower Falls [Rowboat]:

Tahquamenon Upper Falls:

Girlfriend shooting the S12:

Seul Choix Lighthouse:

Kich-Iti-Kipi:

Offline spikedawg

• weidman michigan
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 07:13:07 PM »
plus 1 and i were in st. ignace that weekend. spent most of saturday on mackinac island, when we got back to main land we rode to drummond island and had dinner. wish we knew you guys were there, you could of bought us lunch.  ;D

Offline Evil Creamsicle

• Commie Rifle Fetishist
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 08:48:07 PM »
lol well that would have been the very last of our money

Offline viperar15-member

• Michigan Open Carry, Inc
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 02:13:48 PM »
guess next busy weekend, we should make sure to notify everyone of our travels ;-) since thats now 3 of us that was up there. i was in st ignace on sunday
Shaun Crawford

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 02:48:21 PM »
"If you wouldn't mind concealing it a little bit"?  roflmao
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline Evil Creamsicle

• Commie Rifle Fetishist
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 04:11:23 PM »
I know... what like, partially?

lmao... I just told him I didn't feel like wearing my jacket.