Author Topic: national guardsman detained for OC at a memorial day parade!!  (Read 7502 times)

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
http://www.oceanaheraldjournal.com/news/37586-guardsman-claims-he-was-illegally-detained

By John Cavanagh

Herald-Journal Writer

NEW ERA — A National Guardsman claims he was illegally detained Monday for openly carrying a handgun to the New Era Memorial Day festivities.

David Thomas, 18, of Shelby, said he was sitting on a bench waiting for the parade when he was approached by a couple of Oceana County Sheriff’s Department deputies. He said the sheriff’s deputies were friendly, but expressed to him that some people had concerns about him openly carrying the gun, and asked that he put it in his car.

Dressed in jeans and a T-shirt, Thomas said he told police he had the right under state law to carry the gun and wanted to keep it. He was later approached by New Era Police Chief Roy Strait, who also is a full-time sheriff’s department deputy. Thomas said Strait was very unprofessional, began yelling and pointed a finger in his face.

“I asked what crime I committed and was given no answer, and I asked why I was being detained and was given no answer,” Thomas said.

Thomas also claims Strait told him, “I will not allow you to openly carry in my town.”

Thomas said Strait next grabbed him by the arm and placed him in the front seat of the New Era Police cruiser, removed the weapon from his hip and detained him for the duration of the parade.

“I would say probably half the people there probably didn’t know I was carrying,” Thomas said.

Sheriff’s department Lt. Craig Mast was aware of the incident. He said Thomas was asked to sit in the car while Strait checked the specifics on the open carry law.

“We’re always very careful about it,” Mast said, adding Assistant Prosecutor Joe Bizon was satisfied with the way the situation was handled. Mast also said police always have to error on the side of caution, and they need to check to make sure people openly carrying firearms are not convicted felons or intoxicated.

“That’s a shame,” Mast said of Thomas missing the parade. “It’s very likely that happened through the course of investigation.”

Strait said he received a call from a reserve officer about an individual with a gun on the street. He said Thomas was asked to put the gun in the trunk of his car and refused, claiming he had a constitutional right to carry the weapon. Not knowing who Thomas was, Strait said he placed Thomas in the police cruiser while he checked the situation.

“The weapon was legal and registered to him,” Strait said.

Strait denied he ever yelled at Thomas, and the gun was returned.

http://www.oceanaheraldjournal.com/news/37586-guardsman-claims-he-was-illegally-detained
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 03:43:26 PM by lil_freak_66 »
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: national guardsman detained for OC at a memorial day parade!!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 01:09:34 PM »
WTF!!  >:(These guys are obnoxious clowns who do not deserve to wear the badge!!!!!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline smellslikemichigan

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 03:38:09 PM »
By John Cavanagh

Herald-Journal Writer

NEW ERA — A National Guardsman claims he was illegally detained Monday for openly carrying a handgun to the New Era Memorial Day festivities.

David Thomas, 18, of Shelby, said he was sitting on a bench waiting for the parade when he was approached by a couple of Oceana County Sheriff’s Department deputies. He said the sheriff’s deputies were friendly, but expressed to him that some people had concerns about him openly carrying the gun, and asked that he put it in his car.

Dressed in jeans and a T-shirt, Thomas said he told police he had the right under state law to carry the gun and wanted to keep it. He was later approached by New Era Police Chief Roy Strait, who also is a full-time sheriff’s department deputy. Thomas said Strait was very unprofessional, began yelling and pointed a finger in his face.

“I asked what crime I committed and was given no answer, and I asked why I was being detained and was given no answer,” Thomas said.

Thomas also claims Strait told him, “I will not allow you to openly carry in my town.”

Thomas said Strait next grabbed him by the arm and placed him in the front seat of the New Era Police cruiser, removed the weapon from his hip and detained him for the duration of the parade.

“I would say probably half the people there probably didn’t know I was carrying,” Thomas said.

Sheriff’s department Lt. Craig Mast was aware of the incident. He said Thomas was asked to sit in the car while Strait checked the specifics on the open carry law.

“We’re always very careful about it,” Mast said, adding Assistant Prosecutor Joe Bizon was satisfied with the way the situation was handled. Mast also said police always have to error on the side of caution, and they need to check to make sure people openly carrying firearms are not convicted felons or intoxicated.
u need to include the link in your post
"I like users who quote themselves in their signature lines." -smellslikemichigan

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 03:42:48 PM »
added link in,and more of the story that they added.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 03:43:26 AM »
Strait denied he ever yelled at Thomas, and the gun was returned.

I wonder if he had a recorder going.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline emt805

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 03:56:06 AM »
And these are the guys that are susppose to "protect and serve" us? Talk about a joke the cheif should be out of a job at min

Offline cwy426

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 06:45:29 AM »
For anyone interested, the next Oceana county parade is in Hart, MI on June 12, 2010 at 2:00pm. (National Asparagus Festival). Hopefully the officers will have become more educated by then. I know I will be having a letter in the local paper soon that touches on what they did wrong here.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 07:34:28 AM »
The SW MI OC ride is going to New Era on Saturday instead of doing a loop ride. If anyone from up that way would like to meet us for lunch we will be getting into New Era around noon.

PM me and I will give you my cell phone number so we can hook up!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline emt805

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 12:32:30 PM »
After watching the clip it stated that police did a check to see if the gun was his, what does that matter if in MI you are allowed to carry anyones handgun with permission?

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 12:39:11 PM »
After watching the clip it stated that police did a check to see if the gun was his, what does that matter if in MI you are allowed to carry anyones handgun with permission?

Only if you have a CPL and the young man is only 18.

Offline Evil Creamsicle

• Commie Rifle Fetishist
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 02:12:45 PM »
a color of law complaint says what...?
Once armed, a free man can never be disarmed. Only defeated.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 03:22:12 AM »

Only if you have a CPL and the young man is only 18.

Which means he cannot obtain a CPL. 

emt805, if you do not have a CPL please do NOT carry somebody else's gun because doing so, in most situations, is NOT legal.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 03:31:19 PM »
they didnt even have RAS to check the gun to see if it was his or not.

i hope the LEO's learn something from this.

i wouldnt be surprised if some military orgs. are taking this on,they unlawfully harassed and detained a soldier at a memorial day parade

is it just me,or is the audio on that video not working