Author Topic: Any pilots?  (Read 14411 times)

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
Any pilots?
« on: March 22, 2013, 02:31:45 PM »
Just wondering if there are any pilots out there.

I have ~100 hours (I need to total my log book). PPL SEL.

I also have about 4 hours of RW time.

-Jason
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Any pilots?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 02:41:35 PM »
Our lawyer, Dean Greenblatt, is a pilot. I don't think he's on our forum though -- he's on MGO's forum -- maybe we should get him to register here?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Hyperion

Re: Any pilots?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 05:21:43 PM »
I guess I should have "joined" MOC a long time ago, but I didn't want to be enjoined from carrying in any CADL branches.  ;)

Jason, Yes, the rumors are true...I scream through the trophoshere at subsonic speeds and at extraordinary expense.  FAA certificated/rated ATP, CFIAIME, GLI, ASEL, AMEL & SES.  If you don't know what all those acronyms mean, don't concern yourself as I barely have any idea. I do serve as an attorney on AOPA's Legal Services Plan, chair-elect and past chairperson of the Aviation Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan and former vice-chair of the Michigan Aeronautics Commission.

I find that a surprising percentage of pilots have a strong interest in firearms, skydiving and scuba diving too.  It must have something to do with the mentality of liberty-awareness, ADHD and control-freakishness.  carpe diem!

From what airport(s) do you aviate from?

Dean

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 07:13:18 PM »
I guess I should have "joined" MOC a long time ago, but I didn't want to be enjoined from carrying in any CADL branches.  ;)

Jason, Yes, the rumors are true...I scream through the trophoshere at subsonic speeds and at extraordinary expense.  FAA certificated/rated ATP, CFIAIME, GLI, ASEL, AMEL & SES.  If you don't know what all those acronyms mean, don't concern yourself as I barely have any idea. I do serve as an attorney on AOPA's Legal Services Plan, chair-elect and past chairperson of the Aviation Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan and former vice-chair of the Michigan Aeronautics Commission.

I find that a surprising percentage of pilots have a strong interest in firearms, skydiving and scuba diving too.  It must have something to do with the mentality of liberty-awareness, ADHD and control-freakishness.  carpe diem!

From what airport(s) do you aviate from?

Dean

Dean,

Only ones I don't know are CFIAIME and GLI. Actually, just looked those up - Glider and CFI Instrument and Multi. Usually see them split up such as CFII and MEI, but I digress. I'd love to get my SES rating at some point.

What airframes are you rated on for your ATP? I tried seeing if the FAA registry would tell me, but it doesn't list your air frames. What 121 operators have you flown for?

I've mostly flown out of KTVC, as I went through NMC's 141 school there. Pretty much all my time is in C150/152s, although my rotary wing time comes from OH-58A/Cs (militarized Bell 206s).

I've also flown out of KRNP, as a guy that was in a previous guard unit I was in has a few aircraft there. Actually, I should probably give him a call since I need to re-up my BFR.

I'm itching to get back up in the air something fierce. However, money and aircraft availability make things a bit difficult (seems that the 141 schools won't rent out aircraft to non-students now days due to insurance concerns).

I can talk *wayyy* too much about Aviation if allowed :)

Random side note, Garmin Pilot is bad ass if you have a tablet. It's even usable if you have an Android or iPhone.

Gratuitous image of me before my first RW flight:
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline Tail2spin

• Doug
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 07:17:15 AM »
I am a private pilot but inactive
Doug

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 11:25:49 AM »
Doug,

What aircraft do (did) you usually fly?
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline Wolverine

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 09:15:37 PM »
1000 PIC

Offline Tail2spin

• Doug
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 02:17:02 PM »
Cessna Skyhawk
Doug

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 09:12:21 PM »
This thread is being flagged for excessive acronym usage.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 11:41:22 PM »

STFU
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 10:41:52 AM »

Lol, think this is bad, try being in the military.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 01:06:08 PM »
LOFLMFAO LOL SNAFU
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Wolverine

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 06:33:02 PM »
Cessna Skyhawk
   Nope,  Cessna 185 300 HP fuel injected on Edo 597-2790 anfib floats. 6 place Have 1K hours as PIC in this one.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 06:55:59 PM »
   Nope,  Cessna 185 300 HP fuel injected on Edo 597-2790 anfib floats. 6 place Have 1K hours as PIC in this one.

The game - you won.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 11:14:21 PM »
Mooney M20C.

I had about 1,000 hours in that one airplane, right around 1050 total.  Instructor friend of mine went flying with me one day and strongly recommend that I go get my commercial IN ANOTHER AIRPLANE :)  He said you and this plane are like one, but those skills would not serve me well in another airplane.

I raced in about 20 races, speed category I was almost always 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.  Michigan Air Race, which was a proficiency race, I had something like six 6th place finishes.

Traveled all over the midwest for my employer, I was lucky they let me fly, and several vacation trips to WI, NY, and FL.  Screwed up on one FL trip, it was just after I had installed bladder tanks and gained 6 gallons of fuel.  With a little more time on those tanks, I would have made the trip from PTK to PGD non stop.  BLAZING 90 kt tailwind at 12k feet.  I had a screaming GS and sipping fuel.

I used to love to go out when it was 1/2-200.  Loved the challenge.

Came really close to buying another Mooney C in December, literally had my Flight Physical scheduled when I realized it was the day before my colonoscopy... which almost killed me.  Friend of mine knows of a beautiful babied 231 with an owner kinda desperate to sell, but we're too far apart on price, and I'm rethinking the whole throwing money into the air again.

About two years after the divorce, every time I flew the plane, I was throwing 500-1,000 at fixing something.  The plane went from being zero unexpected maintenance to incredibly expensive.  Sold it to a guy in NJ who ended up totaling it in a fairly mild cross wind.  My guess from reading the accident report, he came in to hot, tried to force it on the ground, and lost control.  Mooney's do not land before they are ready.  You're along for the ride and you better have the speed nailed.

I always liked seeing how hard I could push it with the cross winds. Strongest I've done is 22kts (if I recall, C152s only have to demonstrate 12kts). Then there was the short approach I did while on only my third solo trying to beat a CRJ on an 8 mile final.

I need to reup my medical and do my BFR. It's been too long since I've gotten up. Been trying to convince the owner of my company he needs to buy a corporate aircraft - more specifically, a Piaggio Avanti ;)
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 08:07:37 AM »
I went WAY above demonstrated crosswind component in that aircraft.  BUT, as I said before, I knew the plane intimately :)

I got lucky with my second inst to check me out in the Mooney (fired the first after the  2nd flight), he insisted I learn to "feel" the stall.  Said I would need it one day... and I did.  I was cruising along one winter day, way below freezing at 25°F when I hit "rain", aka Super Cooled Drizzle Drops.  In 30 seconds, I lost 30 kts airspeed and the plane was "feeling" very stallish.  Declared the emergency, actually climbed as I was right at the tops of the clouds, and waited for the ice to sublimate off.  Looking back, climbing was probably the wrong decision, but i was literally at the tops.  Filed a NASA report for the E, and a couple of years later an icing researcher called me.  We chatted for over an hour, and I was shook to my core.  Apparently SCDD are one of those events that few pilots ever survive.  It happens so fast, and has such a dramatic impact on flight characteristics, that it's virtually unrecoverable.  The stall warning never went off during the entire event because the airspeed was so high.

One of my favorite flights, I did a Mercy Med Flight bringing somebody back from Boston into CAD.  It was a shared flight, I met another plane roughly 1/2 way.  New moon, IFR overcast, but low tops, also a thick cirrus layer too.  Approach into CAD was super easy and dropped off the passenger.  Climbing out of CAD, the low almost foggish like clouds were glowing orange from the city, I mean really glowing, could almost read it was that bright.  Popped out of the tops, literally popped out, into absolute pure darkness.  I almost requested an approach back into CAD, just so I could do that again, it was that dramatic.  But, it was late, and I was getting a bit tired.

One of the strangest weather phenomenon I saw was Mackinac Island.  ASOS was reporting below minimum, I was riding shotgun with a friend that was a new IFR pilot in his Mooney.  He looks at me and says what are we going to do, I said shoot the approach.  I wish I had a camera to take a picture of the absolute clear path in the fog from the planes landing on the island.  The air was that stable, prior planes cleared the fog all the way to the runway.  Engler was coming in behind us and I passed along what we were seeing.

I miss flying... a LOT!  Miss my plane, as it was an exceptionally fast Mooney C.  But, the fastest way to make a small fortune in Aviation, start with a large fortune.  There's a long standing club over at KYIP, I've had some conversations with them about joining, but I also loved the freedom (not the expense) of owning my own plane.  Not doing anything until the fall.

Here's my plane that was totaled :(

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 08:40:19 AM »
Dean,

I'm always amazed (impressed?) with people that take on that many acronyms, and yet aviation is not their primary job.

I was happy with just having the IFR, although as I said in my original post, it was highly recommended I get my commercial, just to break past the Mooney.

And yes, I also used to scuba dive.

Is Jack from LAN FSS still around?  I used to love chatting with him at the MI small race.  Although the time he sicked the FAA on dad and I.  I wasn't too thrilled with him... until he explained why.  FAA was sniffing around the race just looking to bust someone, and he knew dad and I would be able to tell him to pound sand... and we did.  It quite literally was a abbott and costello who's on first routine.  Unrelated to the FAA guy, that race was one of the most memorable finishes of all my races.  The procedures set up for the finish had a potential dangerous situation.  I argued at the briefing they needed to change it, but they refused.  We actually encountered the exact situation I was concerned with at the finish line.  Had it not been for knowing the other pilot and their capability as well as we did, it might have had a different outcome.  Two nearly identical Mooney's, one traveling right at stall speed, the other somewhat near redline passing by each other.  Plane in front was way early, plane behind way late.  We flew in formation from the finish line to the landing airport.  The way it worked out, the other plane took a left hand pattern, we took a right hand pattern, which separated the planes sufficiently for landing.  The airport was notam'd closed for the race.  FAA guy wanted to know who was flying, dad was, but dad did not have a current medical and refused to show him his license.  I was navigator in the race, but legal PIC.  Ex-wife was in the back seat.
FAA - who was flying
dad - I was
FAA - I need to see your license and medical
dad - no
FAA - What
dad - no
FAA - you have to show them to me
dad - no I don't
FAA - you're required to show them when asked
dad - who the F are you?
FAA - I'm the FAA, here's my ID, now where's your license and medical
dad - I don't have them
FAA - you have to have them, weren't you flying?
dad - I was flying
FAA - looks at me, what were you doing
me - I was navigator
FAA - looks at my ex-wife and says what were you
EW - I was cargo
This actually went on a couple of rounds...
FAA - finally catches on and says who was PIC
me - I was
FAA - may I please see your license and current medical
me - of course
FAA - while he was looking it over starts to lecture me on RH pattern
me - excuse me, but the airport was closed and if you had been paying attention and listening to the radio you would have heard the communication with the airplane that landed in front of me.  This is a closed airport and if you're done here, the waiver requires me to check in with race chairman immediately upon landing and securing my plane.  You're putting me in violation of that waiver and if you'll excuse me I'm leaving.  He apparently stood there with his mouth open, and left the airport shortly after that.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 11:54:19 AM »
I went WAY above demonstrated crosswind component in that aircraft.  BUT, as I said before, I knew the plane intimately :)

I got lucky with my second inst to check me out in the Mooney (fired the first after the  2nd flight), he insisted I learn to "feel" the stall.  Said I would need it one day... and I did.  I was cruising along one winter day, way below freezing at 25°F when I hit "rain", aka Super Cooled Drizzle Drops.  In 30 seconds, I lost 30 kts airspeed and the plane was "feeling" very stallish.  Declared the emergency, actually climbed as I was right at the tops of the clouds, and waited for the ice to sublimate off.  Looking back, climbing was probably the wrong decision, but i was literally at the tops.  Filed a NASA report for the E, and a couple of years later an icing researcher called me.  We chatted for over an hour, and I was shook to my core.  Apparently SCDD are one of those events that few pilots ever survive.  It happens so fast, and has such a dramatic impact on flight characteristics, that it's virtually unrecoverable.  The stall warning never went off during the entire event because the airspeed was so high.

One of my favorite flights, I did a Mercy Med Flight bringing somebody back from Boston into CAD.  It was a shared flight, I met another plane roughly 1/2 way.  New moon, IFR overcast, but low tops, also a thick cirrus layer too.  Approach into CAD was super easy and dropped off the passenger.  Climbing out of CAD, the low almost foggish like clouds were glowing orange from the city, I mean really glowing, could almost read it was that bright.  Popped out of the tops, literally popped out, into absolute pure darkness.  I almost requested an approach back into CAD, just so I could do that again, it was that dramatic.  But, it was late, and I was getting a bit tired.

One of the strangest weather phenomenon I saw was Mackinac Island.  ASOS was reporting below minimum, I was riding shotgun with a friend that was a new IFR pilot in his Mooney.  He looks at me and says what are we going to do, I said shoot the approach.  I wish I had a camera to take a picture of the absolute clear path in the fog from the planes landing on the island.  The air was that stable, prior planes cleared the fog all the way to the runway.  Engler was coming in behind us and I passed along what we were seeing.

I miss flying... a LOT!  Miss my plane, as it was an exceptionally fast Mooney C.  But, the fastest way to make a small fortune in Aviation, start with a large fortune.  There's a long standing club over at KYIP, I've had some conversations with them about joining, but I also loved the freedom (not the expense) of owning my own plane.  Not doing anything until the fall.

Here's my plane that was totaled :(

Heh, why'd you can your first IP? My IP was a buddy of mine from high school :D

As for the super cooled precipitation, I'm not instrument rated, so I haven't flown in conditions that might lead to such things. Why do you think that climbing up top was the wrong decision? It sounds like it got you out of the situation much quicker, plus in this case, I would imagine more altitude never hurts as it would buy you more time. Can't remember where I saw it, but I remember watching some documentary about an incident that occurred because SCDD formed on the pitot tube, subsequently leading to a loss of airspeed indication. Apparently the pitot heater couldn't even lose the stuff fast enough.

Why'd you have to file the NASA report though? What reg did you bust, since I'm guessing you were flying IFR?

KMCD - where the rich kids play. I flew up there once with a buddy of mine who was an IP at Northwestern Michigan College (the 141 school where I picked up my license) to do the $100 hamburger thing and just to keep my XC skills up somewhat. There were some nice toys when we got there, and had a Kingair 350 sitting next to us when we got back to the field to depart.

I think my long solo XC prior to taking my checkride was the most fun I've had though (other that getting some RW time) - KTVC => KAPN => KOSC => KMOP => KTVC. I think the TVC to APN leg is what caused me to desire a slight amount of turbulence whenever I fly on an airliner. I actually filed a PIREP given how much there was, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. KOSC was a trip - I joke that I could have landed just on the width of the runway (of course, Kallita runs his 747 MX base there). Then I had a chance to look around a Canadair CL-215 as there were a few water bombers at the field (I think there was a forest fire they just got done battling somewhere up in northern Michigan).
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 11:58:58 AM »
Also, never been ramp checked.

The Lansing FSS has actually been closed last I knew.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 03:35:43 PM »
This was the guy checking me out in the Mooney, and he was an ass wanting to waste my time doing nonsense work.  I had just finished my PPL and we were doing turns about a point, power off stalls, etc.  2nd guy started right into inst stuff while we were filling time for the insurance company.  Mucho better instructor.  He was a stickler for absolute perfection on inst approaches.  If he said "localizer", I knew I was 2 dots out and not correcting.  It was strange flying with my friend in his mooney and watching full needle deflection, because I operated to a much higher standard.  We never went in his plane unless is at least basic VFR somewhere nearby. 

WRT SCDD, I lost a ton of airspeed, and the plane was extremely mushy... in retrospect, climbing may have not been my wisest choice, but it worked.  Decending would have increased airspeed instead of further decreasing.  You never want to see SCDD, that stuff is nasty.  It hits the leading edge as a large droplet and as it's rolling back freezes into little tiny lift robbing bumps.

No regs were busted, intentionally or otherwise, however I did declare an emergency.  I think I filed 3 or 4 in my flying days.  Last one was when departing kyip and had an inside the cabin fuel leak.  Declared an E shut down all the radios and landed.  That was literally the final straw for plane ownership.  One other NASA was during one of my races.  My nemesis was in this particular speed race, and I was not going to make it easy for him to win.  Lets just say there may have been a question about altitude :)