Author Topic: Sen. Green's bills at a standstill  (Read 20707 times)

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
Sen. Green's bills at a standstill
« on: March 22, 2013, 04:09:44 PM »
Read this article today and I find it somewhat disheartening. Maybe we need to start hammering out government "representatives" about this.

http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/index.ssf/2013/03/sen_mike_greens_gun_bills_at_s.html#incart_river
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 04:57:22 PM »
It's not time yet. Wait for it.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • I don't dial 911
Re: Sen. Green's bills at a standstill
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 05:32:57 PM »
Until when, just before the next lame duck session like last time?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 06:58:07 PM »
Until when, just before the next lame duck session like last time?

Until the *sponsor* is ready to move it -- which he has indicated will be summer or late fall.

If the sponsor doesn't want to move it right now,  it won't move. No amount of pushing on your legislator, the committee chair, or committee members is likely to change that.

This is why choosing a good sponsor is so important to your bill. Sen Green is a good sponsor.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • I don't dial 911
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 07:23:25 PM »
Until the *sponsor* is ready to move it -- which he has indicated will be summer or late fall.

If the sponsor doesn't want to move it right now,  it won't move. No amount of pushing on your legislator, the committee chair, or committee members is likely to change that.

This is why choosing a good sponsor is so important to your bill. Sen Green is a good sponsor.

Ok, but it is sounding familiar.

"If it ran through committee, it would just sit on the floor anyway," Green said Thursday, March 21. "I'd rather sit down with the people it affects and work out some sort of compromise.

Last time we did this it went through committee, sat on the floor until we protested in Monroe twice for Richardville to bring it to a vote, compromises were made and veto. How is this new approach any better?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 07:38:42 PM »
Last time we did this it went through committee, sat on the floor until we protested in Monroe twice for Richardville to bring it to a vote, compromises were made and veto. How is this new approach any better?

We're just moving the wait to a different part of the process.  Better to front load the wait then move the bill quickly before opposition organizes.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 08:04:31 PM »
It's all BS.

Last time things languished for months.

But then Right to Work went from nothing to law in only 5 days. That's right it took only 5 days to go from a blank piece of paper to a voted and signed law.

The repugnicans do NOT support gunowners any more than the damnocrats do.

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 10:21:51 PM »
Raggs is already breaking out the champagne over on OCDO....
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: Re: Sen. Green's bills at a standstill
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 11:31:43 PM »
Raggs is already breaking out the champagne over on OCDO....

Stupid is forever.... Ron White...

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 11:52:23 PM »
Stupid is forever.... Ron White...

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

We only need to look to his mentor to see where it originates.

Offline TexasSupporter

• First Name (Displayed): James
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 12:01:09 AM »
I think Q is right on this.  And I also think it's important we stick together, and respect Q's opinion and his lead.  It's ok to have a differing opinion, but at the end of the day the best way for success is to follow your leadership.  He is on your side.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • I don't dial 911
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 12:59:38 AM »
I think Q is right on this.  And I also think it's important we stick together, and respect Q's opinion and his lead.  It's ok to have a differing opinion, but at the end of the day the best way for success is to follow your leadership.  He is on your side.

I don't doubt Q being on our side, however I am beginning to believe that we have been abandoned by our "representatives". As Pat stated, RTW went through very quickly, so why cant this bill do the same?

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 11:03:28 AM »
RTW went through quickly because of the support it had (ie leadership and gov).

We might be able to drum up that type of support, but it's going to take a LOT of work and the opposition will have plenty of time to organize, creating even more work for us. I think this amounts to a full frontal assault as opposed to an efficient strike when the time is right. The gamble there is, will the time ever be right? I have faith.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
Re: Re: Sen. Green's bills at a standstill
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 11:40:54 AM »
I don't doubt Q being on our side, however I am beginning to believe that we have been abandoned by our "representatives". As Pat stated, RTW went through very quickly, so why cant this bill do the same?
Green sponsored the bills to remove MI pistols last term, that was all that went anyplace last term, so expecting anything different now is a setup for disappointment.

Offline .40 Cal

• MOC Member
  • Flat Rock, Michigan
  • First Name (Displayed): John
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 12:43:38 PM »
To quote the late George Carlin..... It's all BS and its all bad for you!
I carry a firearm because their are real threats in the world and when seconds count; the Police are minutes away!

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 01:44:45 PM »
RTW went through quickly because Senator Richardville was under threat of recal by a man named "Trucker Randy" from Northern Michigan who had spent over $100,000 collecting enough signatures to recall Randy Richardville.  He threatened to turn the signatures in if RTW hadn't had public commitment from the Governor, the speak, and the Majority Leader to move prior to 12/8/2012.

FIFY.  RTW was passed under political duress.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 01:46:29 PM »
Free people are going to do what free people are going to do.  How many people commenting in this thread have done so much as call their Senator yet on this bill?

hmmm?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 02:42:48 PM »
Free people are going to do what free people are going to do.  How many people commenting in this thread have done so much as call their Senator yet on this bill?

hmmm?
I haven't yet, because I am following your lead. My comments are relative to the contemptuous disdain I have for the pathological lying  repugnican party.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 03:59:10 PM »

hmmm?

I've actually visited mine in person.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • I don't dial 911
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 04:36:26 PM »

hmmm?

I have. Guess I was wrong to try and stop Richardville from burying this bill like he did to SB59. We can let it sit in committee until fall, then we have very little time to get it voted on, assuming we can get Richardville to call it for a vote, and little chance of pressuring Richardville like we did last time.