Author Topic: Finally! Got asked to leave somewhere (Burlington Coat Factory)  (Read 4355 times)

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
After all this time, it FINALLY happened......

Steel Magnolia (and I) got asked to leave a place because of OC.

Burlington Coat Factory on Alpine near I-96 just north of Grand Rapids.

We had just been shopping at the Burlington in Kentwood, on 28th St. for dress shirts for me. No drama in Kentwood at all; we've been there numerous times without incident.

We decided to go to the Alpine store to see if they had any more in my size. After shopping, and filling a basket with merchandise, we went to check out. We were next in line to check out, and a young gentleman approached and informed SM that firearms weren't allowed in the store. He was professional and discrete, and we simply said 'Okay' and left the cart and exited. He did follow us to the door, but it was to apologize, indicating he had no problem with it, but he was directed to speak to us. I thanked him for his professionalism and discretion.

Neither location has any signs posted. We'll likely continue to shop Kentwood, but certainly not Alpine- perhaps the Alpine manager can afford to lose customers....

Next steps considered- letter to Burlington corporate regarding their policies, noting how their competition follows state law instead of arbitrary and capricious. There is nothing on their web site about firearms either way.
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Finally! Got asked to leave somewhere (Burlington Coat Factory)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 02:19:19 PM »
Wear it like a badge of honor.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 04:30:51 PM by TheQ »
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: Finally! Got asked to leave somewhere (Burlington Coat Factory)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 02:48:34 PM »
Everything the fine young gentleman said before "but" was a boldface lie.

And some coward sent him out to do his bidding.

That is what I would have imparted upon him in a not so discreet manner on my way out the door. Not creating a scene. Nor being rude and arrogant. Definitely being forthright though. That he was doing the work of a coward. A coward who undoubtedly had no problem lording the young guy's job over his head in order to have his bidding done for him.

If it were me, I'd have told the boss to do that one himself. But that's me. No wonder I can't keep a job.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 03:07:17 PM »
Everything the fine young gentleman said before "but" was a boldface lie.

And some coward sent him out to do his bidding.

That is what I would have imparted upon him in a not so discreet manner on my way out the door. Not creating a scene. Nor being rude and arrogant. Definitely being forthright though. That he was doing the work of a coward. A coward who undoubtedly had no problem lording the young guy's job over his head in order to have his bidding done for him.

If it were me, I'd have told the boss to do that one himself. But that's me. No wonder I can't keep a job.

I'm with you there- I quit a job, lost a house, screwed my credit rating, but could look myself in the mirror because I would not engage in unethical business practices.

Someone must like me, though, because within a year, I got an offer from a company I did not apply to, for a great job, at nearly twice the salary.  Doing the right thing sometimes (but not always) pays off.
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline Donut

• First Name (Displayed): Donut
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 03:41:08 PM »
You might in you letter to the store and Burlington headquarters that a big chain store like Walmart and Sam's Club obdides by the state regulations and has no problem with it. There are other big chain stores that have taken this same stance.