Author Topic: Hello from Nashville; Michigan that is!  (Read 3294 times)

anetsprungen

Hello from Nashville; Michigan that is!
« on: June 03, 2010, 07:16:29 PM »
At long last I am getting around to making an introduction.

I have been OC'g for years, but it was always on my own property, once I had some.  I have lived on 32+ acres in Assyria Township, Barry County (down the road from Nashville about five miles) for the last sixteen years.  I have known about the legal right to carry for decades but never gave it much thought except in the context of hunting.  I still don't have a CPL, probably because there is no urgency about it.  Since I work for the federal government and have since 1983, the opportunities to OC are far and few between, but I hope to have my CPL before the summer is over.

I learned about MOC, Inc. through the OCDO Michigan forum.  Upon learning of their objectives and mission, and reading hundreds of posts for a week, I was so moved I joined as a Charter Member in early March.  I have since attended a seminar, a picnic and a meeting.  However, soon after I joined, the call went out for members to submit their resumes for a couple of deputy IT director positions.

Now, I have been working with computers for more than 20 years but only took two semesters of classes and neither of them were specialized.  The knowledge I picked up was earned by doing and reading on my own.  So, I really didn't have a resume I could submit, but being a current webmaster and familiar with Unix computers, at the very least I could offer my services. 

For those of you interested in such things, I work for the Defense Logistics Agency (a major DOD Civilian Agency-still).  My organization is called the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service.  Many current and former military members may be familiar with our DRMOs (formerly called DPDOs when we were the Defense Property Disposal Service).  I have oversight of our public website <www.drms.dla.mil>, as well as our Intranet website.  While the programs that we use are substantially different from those used to administer the MOC website, forum and e-mail; the functions of editing and manipulating files are essentially the same.  And to some extent, I know about database administration and the structured query language (SQL), but unfortunately, the database I administered was created using software that was new in 1993, about the time the WWW came online for the general public.  And it is still being used today!

Well, my support was accepted quickly and gladly.  After all, it is all volunteer work!  ;) And we need more volunteers.  :( Anyway, my duties have morphed from simple file management just two months ago, to being one of two administrators this week.  Recent changes have forced me into a crash course on web management in the civilian sector but with a little help from my partner, Evil Creamsicle, and a few others I think we can keep this boat afloat.  And maybe, smooth sailing ahead!

Roy Sprunger
Anetsprungenheim
 8)

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: Hello from Nashville; Michigan that is!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 07:29:27 PM »
Thanks Roy! And a belated Welcome aboard  ;D
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."