Author Topic: John Moolenaar State Senator 36th District  (Read 5835 times)

Offline woodtic31

• First Name (Displayed): Reg
John Moolenaar State Senator 36th District
« on: April 24, 2013, 08:12:32 PM »
Response from an email I sent to John Moolenar asking for his stance on gun control.

Dear Reginald: 

Thank you for contacting my office regarding gun control legislation .  Your input helps me better serve the people of the 36 th Distri ct and I appreciate hearing your concerns.

There has been  much discussion regarding gun control laws in light of recent events.   I am a strong supporter of 2 nd Amendment rights.    In this session there have been several bills introduced in the legislature  regard ing firearms. 

Senate Bill 49 and House Bill 4155   would revise the licensure section of the Firearm Act to exclude license information from the Freedom of Information Act.

Senate Bill 63 and House Bill 4099 would create the Michigan Firearm Freedom Act. This legislation would  allow for firearms, firearm accessories, or ammunition manufactured in Michigan and sold only in Michigan to be exempted from federal law or Congressional authority.

Additionally, l egislation  has been introduced  not only to   increase , but also to decrease,  the scope  of  gun free zones.

In addition significant discussion of a universal background check is being h eld at the federal level and not subject to a state legislative vote .

I  continue to evaluate  the merit s of each of the individual  bills , and look  forward to hearing testimony . Should any of these bills come before me for a vote , I will be sure to keep your input in mind.

Once again, thank you for your correspondence. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future on any matters of state government.

Sincerely,

John Moolenaar
State Senator
North East Michigan Coordinator

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
Re: John Moolenaar State Senator 36th District
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 08:15:33 AM »
SB 63 needs to be amended to allow NFA firearms. Kind of disappointed it specifically excludes them.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 08:20:26 AM »
SB 63 needs to be amended to allow NFA firearms. Kind of disappointed it specifically excludes them.

+1

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 08:54:46 AM »

It also needs teeth. There's a house bill in Michigan like 63 that has teeth.

Sadly, they are probably both dead -- it seems the political energy on "both sides" has collided and negated themselves.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 10:05:01 AM »
When I talked to Rick Jones about this (office visit), he indicated that he doesn't see SB 63 as actually passing, but more as just a statement.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 10:38:40 AM »
When I talked to Rick Jones about this (office visit), he indicated that he doesn't see SB 63 as actually passing, but more as just a statement.

It's truly sad our state legislature doesn't have the fortitude to tell the Feds to shove it. That's probably because 35 of our 45 Billion dollar budget comes from the Federal Gov.

The state needs to stop suckling the Milk from the Federal teat before we can be free.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 11:22:32 AM »
I like the idea of having federal money pass through the state first. That way there are none of these shenanigans.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline woodtic31

• First Name (Displayed): Reg
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 03:24:58 PM »

Here's one from my Congressman.

Dear Reginald :

Thank you for contacting me to express your strong support for the Second Amendment.  Hearing from constituents like yourself helps me to better represent you and Michigan's First District in Washington.

As you know, the Second Amendment to our Constitution codifies the individual right to keep and bear arms.  Like many people from Northern Michigan, I grew up around firearms and I'm a lifelong gun owner. The responsible and legal use of guns for sport and for hunting is a way of life up here in Northern Michigan, and many of us have treasured memories of spending hours and  hours target shooting at our camp or hunting wild game.

The acts of violence in our nation with guns should start a national conversation about proper enforcement of our current gun laws and the state of mental health care in our great country. With that being said, I am opposed to the actions of a few bad actors being used as a justification for lawmakers in Washington to take guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens.

I intend to honor the oath I took to uphold the Constitution of the United States – including the Second Amendment.  I will continue to be a staunch supporter of your  Constitutional right to keep and bear arms, and I will keep fighting in Congress to ensure that Northern Michigan's citizens have a voice in this important debate.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share with me your opinion on this important matter.  It is an honor to represent you in the U.S. House of Representatives, and I will keep your thoughts in mind as Congress debates this issue further.  Should you have any additional concerns or questions, please feel free to contact my office at (202) 225-4735.

Sincerely,
Dan Benishek M. D.
Member of Congress
North East Michigan Coordinator