Author Topic: Monroe ordinace  (Read 2586 times)

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
Monroe ordinace
« on: April 29, 2013, 09:49:17 PM »
hello my name is ____ I was trying to email the Michigan open carry website but it was not allowing me to send it. And I am not a member yet times are hard so i'm not sure when I can pay. But I saw a few youtube videos of people making local  ordinances change because the break MI state law. So I was doing some research and found this in Monroe website. http://www.ecode360.com/12410929  section 707-5 Carrying weapons on public; transporting firearms in motor vehicles section B. Is the way this is written its telling people they are not aloud to open carry? I am wondering if I am right.

My response as follows:

Ok here is what I read:

A. No person shall carry on any street or other public way or in or on any public property, or have in his or her automobile or other vehicle, any dangerous or deadly weapon, pistol or other firearm, or any other weapon of sufficient power to project a missile or other object capable of injuring a person or property, unless such weapon is in the trunk of his or her automobile or other motor vehicle broken down so as to be inoperable. If the person is on foot or on a bicycle or motorcycle, or if his or her motor vehicle does not have a trunk, the weapon shall be encased and broken down so as to be inoperable.
B. The provisions of Subsection A hereof shall not apply to any law enforcement officer or any person possessing a valid license or permit to carry such a weapon in a manner contrary to Subsection Ahereof.

As I read it, it does not apply to a licensed individual (CPL) or a valid permit. I think the “permit” they are referring to is the Permit to Purchase that you get before you buy a handgun either from the Police or from the FFL Dealer you purchase through. However as I am not 100% certain I will post your question to the forums and get a greater response. Just for your information, joining the forums is free. You may want to consider it as it is an excellent source of information. Just go to forums.michiganopencarry.org to sign up.

End reply.

This was posted on the City of Monroe Codes section regarding firearms.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Moderator
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: Monroe ordinace
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 08:18:33 AM »
I mostly concur with your response. Everything is good as far as pistols are concerned. No license or permit is required to carry a long gun on public property. IME this is a common failing of many local ordinances. They word it just right (or not right) to catch this instance.

It's likely they intended to follow the law, but did not fully understand what they were doing.

Offline Langenc

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 12:38:26 PM »
The law writers seem to always insert what they think, would like, or wish the law to be rather than what it IS. Bill Clinton can define is but we all know.

Many LEOs seem to try to enforce them the same way.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 08:06:16 PM »
Many LEOs seem to try to enforce them the same way.
Discussion I had with one LEO, he has to enforce the laws of his city, no matter what.

My take, when he thinks his job is on the line, his mgt will decide what he should or should not be doing.

We saw that in New Orleans, and we'll see it again.

Offline gryphon

• MOC Moderator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 10:55:59 AM »
Discussion I had with one LEO, he has to enforce the laws of his city, no matter what.

So he's saying that he must write a ticket for every car he catches going 1 MPH over speed limit, or issue a seat belt ticket to everyone he sees driving without one?

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 11:03:02 AM »
So he's saying that he must write a ticket for every car he catches going 1 MPH over speed limit,

No, he picks and chooses.

or issue a seat belt ticket to everyone he sees driving without one?
I bet he does write those.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?