Author Topic: Travel For Work Out of State  (Read 8868 times)

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
Travel For Work Out of State
« on: April 30, 2013, 05:04:59 PM »
I just found out last week that I have to go to South Carolina for training all next week.

I will be flying into North Carolina, with a short drive to the location in South Carolina.

First I researched the rules for flying with a weapon. Seems pretty straightforward, hard case that is locked, gun unloaded, magazines unloaded, and ammo in a cardboard ammo box (i.e. the box you bought it in). Check in the case when I get to the ticket counter, etc. For this I need to buy a case, found some at Gander Mountain in Portage.

I then went to http://www.handgunlaw.us/, and verified that the NC & SC laws are basically the same as Michigan's and they recognize MI CPLs. I will be reviewing the PDFs for them in detail.

The trip down is Kalamazoo to Detroit, then my destination. No problem.

However, before I invest in a case, my return trip is a two stop - Laguardia in New York and then Detroit. So I wanted to see if others read this the way I do.

Handgunlaw indicates you are only good in NY if you are passing through. It also mentions that some have been arrested or had their gun confiscated in NY when flying. http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/doj_doc_nyc_air.pdf I read this PDF and it appears that it is only those who drive to the airport with their firearm, prepared for legal airline travel, and not those flying through.

Since the airline will have possession of my unloaded and locked firearm while I am traveling through, I should be good to go, as per the Federal law allowing transportation of legally possessed firearms through various states. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

I think I should be good to go, provided I meet the requirements to transport my gun.

However, I don't want to have to deal with the craziness that is NY gun laws, etc. I can't see any reason for NY LEOs to care about my gun, even if they are the ones providing baggage screening to connecting flights, since I won't be the one in control of it.

Anyone have any experience flying with a gun through New York have any issues?

~ Larry
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Travel For Work Out of State
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 06:37:17 PM »
If you have an unexpected delay or layover in NY, do not collect your luggage.

The airline may try to get you to claim your luggage and recheck it the next day. DO NOT ACCEPT YOUR LUGGAGE.

1. Ask for a supervisor and explain the situation to them.
2. If needed, contact the Port Authority and explain it to them and they will hold your luggage for you.

DO NOT TOUCH YOUR BAGS (literally) WHILE IN NY!!!!!!!!! Under any circumstances!
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline FASBOLD

Re: Travel For Work Out of State
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 09:38:13 PM »
Good point!
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
~ Unknown

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 10:05:50 PM »
What Q said.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 08:46:44 AM »
Have you looked at renting a car in Kazoo and droping it at metro airport, flying straight to your destination from Detroit then doing the reverse coming back? I would avoid NY anyway possible.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 09:51:22 AM »
the NC & SC laws are basically the same as Michigan's

Open carry is prohibited in South Carolina.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 11:31:49 AM »
Open carry is prohibited in South Carolina.

Interesting. I swear to god I saw an old guy working the USS Laffey museum at Patriots Point (Charleston) open carrying. That said, the holster had a flap on it, but I did see the last inch or so of the grip.

*shrug*
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline FASBOLD

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 11:58:50 AM »
@Super Trucker There are limited options coming back. It doesn't make sense to me, but that's the way it is. Does anyone really know why airlines come up with these crazy options. It's like asking for directions, only to realize, "you can't get there from here". I can't change the ticket without a ridiculous fee that my manager won't approve, and I can't afford.

If I have to fly for work, I'm not driving two hours to Detroit, they can pay more for flights out of Kalamazoo. I have to get up too early on a Sunday as it is.  :'(

I'd rather rent a car and drive twelve hours to my destination, but was told I can't do that.

Driving has many benefits:
  • I can take my gun without any hassles or added expense on my part. (I can pick my route through gun friendly states.)
    I could see parts of the country I have never been to.
    I don't have to put up with being at the whim of air travel circumstances. (I have often flown routes that take twelve hours to drive, and could have gotten there quicker by driving.)

@Gryphon I had not planned on Open Carrying, because my work does not allow it (If anyone wants to pay my bills, I can quit my job and OC whenever I want.  :D ). The part that is basically the same as MI is the CC part. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

~ Abraham Lincoln
~ Unknown

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 06:47:24 PM »
I saw an old guy working the USS Laffey museum at Patriots Point (Charleston) open carrying.
Maybe he was licensed like a cop or security guard. But OC is against the law.  There is a bill S115 that would allow constitutional carry, so by default it would make OC and CC both legal without a permit, but that will probably die.  It did pass out of committee, though.

Cops don't like the proposed law because if they see an OCer they will have to wait until he actually commits a crime before they can confront him.   :o

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20130321/PC16/130329851/1006/senate-panel-oks-bill-allowing-open-gun-carrying
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:52:41 PM by gryphon »

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 05:04:09 AM »
For the return trip, you could ship your gun to yourself from S.C. to MI.via UPS or FedX.
You do NOT need a FFL to ship your own gun to yourself.
I am sure you will have to pay for it yourself but it may save you some stress.

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 08:32:07 AM »
Unfortunately shipping via UPS or FEDEX is not allowed in this case. There has to be a "licensed manufacturer, dealer, collector or law enforcement" involved.

Larry, I hope your trip is uneventful and I agree with Q. Don't touch your luggage if you get stuck in NY. Don't tell NY police you have a gun either, let TSA know in this case.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 09:00:19 AM »
Unfortunately shipping via UPS or FEDEX is not allowed in this case. There has to be a "licensed manufacturer, dealer, collector or law enforcement" involved.

A particular common carrier may not do it as a matter of their rules, but the law permits shipping it from yourself to yourself in care of anyone.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons#shipping-firearms-additional

FedEx has an internal rule against mailing to oneself, but UPS used to allow it.  Sometime within the last year UPS changed their rules to match FedEx's.  One workaround is to ship c/o an FFL.  Ask them to accept the gun for you but NOT open the box.  If you don't know a local FFL here or there (either end works), though, that makes it tough.

Better to just carry with you on the airlines since you can.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:54:36 AM by gryphon »

Offline FASBOLD

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 10:32:18 PM »
Travel via air, no problem.

I flew Delta. At the start of each leg of the trip, I declared at check in that I was flying with a firearm in my checked bag. I had to sign a reddish colored tag that stated the firearm was unloaded and in a hard locked case. What really bothered me is that security can unlock the lock on my bag and rummage through my stuff without me there. This is not the same lock on my locked case inside my bad holding my gun and ammo.

New York was no problem as I was only there long enough to trek across the terminal for my connecting flight.

The locking case was a good investment that I can use if I ever fly again, or if I need to secure a firearm in my car, etc.

Flying out of Kalamazoo, it was a bigger deal that my shaving cream was in too big a container in my carry on. They did not even mention the small hair trimming scissors I also had in my shaving kit, that I forgot to take out before I packed. I flew back with the same scissors in my carry on.

The whole system does not make any sense.
~ Abraham Lincoln
~ Unknown

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 11:30:11 PM »
What really bothered me is that security can unlock the lock on my bag and rummage through my stuff without me there.

The way to get around that is use hard-sided luggage and make THAT your gun case.  You can put your own non-TSA lock on your luggage then.  They'll have to call you if they need to open your suitcase.