Author Topic: Marysville open carry picnic  (Read 20339 times)

Offline smellslikemichigan

• MOC Member
Marysville open carry picnic
« on: June 06, 2010, 07:48:01 PM »
June 27

location:  Marysville Municipal Park, Marysville, Michigan 48040, United States, 48040
time: 1PM to 6PM

press: http://www.thetimesherald.com/article/20100611/NEWS01/6110310/Gun-advocates-claim-police-violated-rights

i have parked on River Road across from the Junction Buoy restaurant and walked into the park because non residents sometimes have to pay a couple bucks to park in the park. that's if there is a parking attendant on duty.

here is a video tour of where to park for the picnic so as to avoid paying for parking:

plates
Beerme (via Army74)
Advanced Security

napkins
Beerme (via Army74)
Advanced Security

utensils
Beerme (via Army74)

cups
NHCGRPR45
Advanced Security

soda
scot623

ice
Glock9mmOldStyle
smellslikemichigan

water
Ken021
malignity

hot dogs
Glock9mmOldStyle
Advanced Security

hot dog buns
Glock9mmOldStyle

hamburgers
Army74
Advanced Security

cheese!
nate0486

hamburger buns
Army74

ketchup/mustard/condiments
nate0486

fruit/pasta salad or regular salad
Ken021 (noodle salad)

Dessert

chips/pretzels/etc.
Glock9mmOldStyle

any other food
38Special (baked beans)

gas grill or grill/charcoal
smellslikemichigan (charcoal and grilling tools)

games?

Tables

Chairs

Cards/Literature

Coolers
Glock9mmOldStyle
smellslikemichigan

Confirmed Attendance
smellslikemichigan +0 (sorry to disappoint those who were looking forward to seeing my daughter, but she's been invited to a birthday party that day)
Savage.Detroit
Vmaxx
NHCGRPR45
Ken021 +1
mitunnelrat (making pavilion reservation, many thanks!)
stanr2
Glock9mmOldStyle +2
scot623 +3
Army74
Advanced Security +2
eastmeyers
Marysville Resident +1
38Special +1
whoseesu +1
LaVere
malignity
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 07:42:41 PM by smellslikemichigan »
"I like users who quote themselves in their signature lines." -smellslikemichigan

Offline army74

Re: Marysville open carry picnic
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 08:10:29 PM »
Im in  for that one will be good to see people we missed at todays picnic in rochester hills

Offline Beerme

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
20th, best day is a sunday some people have to work all day on sat but most have sunday off so i think the sunday one would be the best

Offline army74

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 08:43:10 PM »
ILL be there

Offline NHCGRPR45

• Macomb Twp. MI
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 01:01:38 AM »
sunday is better but if not i'll be there on the 27th! i love that security 6!
shaun

p.s. i'll bring cups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such goverment, and to provide new gaurds for their future security. United States Constitution.

Offline ken021

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 09:54:32 AM »
We will be there, Will bring water and noodle salad  Ken021 + 1

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
    • http://michiganopencarry.org
  • First Name (Displayed): john
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 12:19:50 PM »
Nice to meet everyone... Had a good time, look forward to more "Downriver" events.
"Any day you don't hear a "POP" and "WHIZ" is a Wonderful day....."

Offline army74

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 04:54:56 PM »
i was going to be there but something has come up sry >:(

Offline NHCGRPR45

• Macomb Twp. MI
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 08:07:27 PM »
there was some discussion over whether or not this would be a long gun open carry event. so plain and simple will this be a long gun event or not? i would prefer long gun, my reasons for that would be from talking to several people at the rochester picnic about how they were treated i think a little "pushing" would be in order. and since we have a deputy chief on tape saying he will make up charges on an MOC member, a bluff call i think is in order. just my opinion, shaun.
 oh yea how would i go about shortening my profile name, some members have made it clear that this screen name is a bit over done.......
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such goverment, and to provide new gaurds for their future security. United States Constitution.

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 08:10:51 PM »
since this is not an "official" event of either MOC or OCDO and since i personally will not be turning anyone away from the picnic, i'm going to go ahead and say yes, long guns are fine.  i was planning on it as well.
"I like users who quote themselves in their signature lines." -smellslikemichigan

Offline army74

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 07:49:59 AM »
ill be in attendance with hamburger and buns

• MOC Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 09:19:46 AM »
ill be in attendance with hamburger and buns
get your gun back?

Offline Advanced Security

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 09:27:41 AM »
I will be there +2. All of us from Flint. Any news on member registration? I'd like to talk about it, benefits, stuff like that.  I maybe an hourish late though, church...

God Bless,

Jeff

Offline army74

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 12:55:34 PM »
not yet !!!!!

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 08:07:59 PM »
Also, is there grills there? If so, I can grab meat for 20 or so...Dogs, Burgers, Etc.

God Bless,

Jeff

• MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 08:23:17 PM »
thanks, i'll mark you down for that.  if there aren't grills, we'll bring them.

Offline NHCGRPR45

• Macomb Twp. MI
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 10:44:03 PM »
i have a grill also, but no propane gas, let me know if its needed
shaun

Offline S45ACP

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 10:43:22 AM »
Hello all. I have been trying to follow this event and see there is conversation occuring both here and on OpenCarry.org.  For those who are unaware and wish to follow the discussion on the other site as well use this link:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/45558-1.html

I hope this helps.

My wife signed us up for the event.  I am the +1 with 38Special.

"Freedom is not free"

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 11:23:09 AM »
Count me in and it will be me +1.  :D

Offline thecodemonk

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 10:04:21 AM »
You guys got some free publicity from our local newspaper.

http://www.thetimesherald.com/article/20100616/NEWS01/6160313/Open-carry-advocates-plan-return-for-picnic

Looks like the Marysville Chief of Police has no issues with the picnic. I think I read a post on here that someone said he and his assistant should be invited. You might want to do just that, and the times herald reporter.

And ignore the comments on the article. People in Port Huron/Marysville can be ... difficult.

I might stop by if I have time just to show my support. I don't open carry or have a concealed permit (although I want to if I could afford it right now), but I really support the right to and think more people should.

Aaron

P.S. I originally posted this on the other forum so it's there as well.

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 08:10:18 PM »
Went to the Warren City Fair today that was held @ Halmich Park, same park as Stilly's picnic.  Didn't see a single LEO while there, arrived @ 3PM when they "opened" and left @ about 7PM.

Quite a few lookers, but only one conversation.  Unfortunately I didn't get the Gentleman's name, but he was the "manager" of the fair.  He had a few questions regarding legally OCing as a friend of his, who also worked for the fair, wanted to carry, but had an incident in his young adult years that was still on his record, preventing him from acquiring a PPP.

Then he mentioned that they were in Marysville a few weeks ago were there were some OCers on-site that had some interaction with MPD or whoever the LEO's involved were.  I mentioned that I knew of the event and was a part of the same organization as the gentlemen in question.  Here's the good part....I'm not sure as what point in time it happened, and neither was he, but at one point, the LEO came over to him and told him that he needed to ask the OCer's to leave, that they couldn't do anything until he, the manager, asked them to leave.  He told me, for whatever that's worth, that he had no problem with them being there as they weren't causing any trouble and refused the LEO's request.  He said he had no problem with me carrying there and we had quite a lovely conversation regarding MI firearm laws as they pertained to OC.

• MOC Member
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 08:14:49 PM »
bazinga!

Offline S45ACP

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 02:30:39 PM »
. .  but at one point, the LEO came over to him and told him that he needed to ask the OCer's to leave, that they couldn't do anything until he, the manager, asked them to leave.

Not that we really needed more proof to understand this was more of a personal issue than anything else by the MPD LEOs but this really makes it clear. Of course it is FatboyCyke's word that this conversation occured and maybe the fair manager made up his bit, blah blah, if any of the "haters" from the TimesHerald posts would see this information that is what they would say. I think for those of us with eyes-wide-open it makes a lot of sense.

We don't know if someone asked the LEO to do something or if they just took it upon themselves to try to stir up something by asking the manager to complain, but if they did just take it upon themselves, you realize how bad that makes them look? Nothing like getting someone to issue a complaint so they can harass citizens eh? Maybe they were bored.  Maybe MPD has too many employees.

Next they will be going door to door asking residents if they think people speed by their houses too often so they can set up more speedtraps.  I'm sad too, because Marysville even went to the length of opening a Tim Horton's (donut shop) and we still can't keep from being harassed.
"Freedom is not free"

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 10:48:47 PM »
Hey, so my wife can't make it, so let's go a -1 for me, so only 2 total.  Question, do we have a rough count so I know how much meat I should get?

Thanks,
Jeff

• MOC Member
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2010, 10:52:39 PM »
Hey, so my wife can't make it, so let's go a -1 for me, so only 2 total.  Question, do we have a rough count so I know how much meat I should get?

Thanks,
Jeff
i would say we're probably looking at 20 at this point, but as the day gets closer i would imagine that number will go up.  20 is probably a safe bet though.  THANKS!

Offline army74

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 04:24:37 AM »
i got 32 burgers

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »
i got 32 burgers

Thanks for the heads up, almost bought some today!  Lol. I'm going to grab a similar # of hot dogs...

Anything else?

Jeff

• MOC Member
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 06:23:49 PM »
how about half hot dogs, half hamburgers.  someone else is bringing dogs as well.  we need to cover all our bases to make sure there is enough.   ;D thanks again

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 06:36:42 PM »
Ok, just checked the list. Put me down for plates, cups, and napkins. :).

I'm bringing cash for a family membership, is that possible to do?

Thanks,

Jeff

• MOC Member
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 06:41:30 PM »
sorry, i need to update the list from OCDO those are already covered on there.  if you could do half hotdogs and half burgers that would be helpful.

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 11:00:04 PM »
sorry, i need to update the list from OCDO those are already covered on there.  if you could do half hotdogs and half burgers that would be helpful.

Absolutely. I don't have to bring hot dogs, if there is something else you guys need.  As it stands I'll bring 15-20 hot dogs, 15-20 burgers, plates, napkins and cups.  Anything else, yell

Jeff

• MOC Member
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2010, 09:02:45 AM »
one day left bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline CPL-in-PH

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2010, 10:25:47 AM »
No WONDER I was the ONLY person OPEN CARRYING IN the Marysville Park, Sat 6/26....I was a DAY EARLY!  ha ha...   wow....what boat did I get off of?    ;D

• MOC Member
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2010, 10:28:31 AM »
haha ;D nice.  you coming back today?

• MOC Member
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2010, 07:31:15 PM »
thanks to EVERYONE who came and especially to those who came from hours away. the turnout of people who have never even been on the forum was amazing. lots of local support from people who saw the newspaper article.

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2010, 10:00:54 PM »
First picnic. Won't be my last either. Very fun time. Educational too. Was awesome meeting everyone!

God Bless,

Jeff

Offline army74

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2010, 11:45:21 PM »
It was good to meet everyone some new people and people ive met a couple times before. Now i need to get my rear end in gear to get some stuff for the pontiac picnic was asked today by a friend who does gun shows and would like info to hand out on oc she will be at the picnic on August 8th 1pm to 5pm Even some OCers from The local college and some people that are running for office hope to see you guys there

Offline cabman1

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2010, 08:24:45 AM »
I just checked out the pic's.  I have to tell ya I am glad I didnt go it might have went well but I seen at least 2 either aks or ar and that would have been a deterrent sorry guys.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc or the law.

• MOC Member
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2010, 08:32:13 AM »
we're glad too.   ;D
they were a complete non-issue, just like the rest of the firearms there.

http://www.thetimesherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2010100627013
it's very underwhelming compared to the amount of questions the reporter asked.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 04:50:56 PM by smellslikemichigan »

Offline S45ACP

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2010, 04:41:36 PM »
Hey everyone. I did not get a chance to meet you all but did enjoy those that we did meet.

Smells, I clicked that link and it gave me a page could not be found on the TH website like the story was taken down.  I am assuming that young lady that dropped by got a story in the paper? I was looking this afternoon and couldn't find anything so figured she hadn't submitted the story for print yet. 
"Freedom is not free"

• MOC Member
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2010, 04:51:13 PM »
sorry, fixed it.

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2010, 04:53:31 PM »
I just checked out the pic's.  I have to tell ya I am glad I didnt go it might have went well but I seen at least 2 either aks or ar and that would have been a deterrent sorry guys.

LOL What? Your not down with OCing impractical and over the top "Assault Weapons"? O Wait wait if they don't they wont look cool. Pretty much all I can say is. Keep up the good work, shouldn't take the state of Michigan too long to rewrite something to STOP OC all together. BRAVO!

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2010, 05:10:31 PM »
I just checked out the pic's.  I have to tell ya I am glad I didnt go it might have went well but I seen at least 2 either aks or ar and that would have been a deterrent sorry guys.

LOL What? Your not down with OCing impractical and over the top "Assault Weapons"? O Wait wait if they don't they wont look cool. Pretty much all I can say is. Keep up the good work, shouldn't take the state of Michigan too long to rewrite something to STOP OC all together. BRAVO!

If you want to discuss it logically, like an adult, take it to the Long Gun OC section, if instead you plan on continuing with your immaturity, I'm sure the mod will be happy to put all your childishness over there for you.  Oooor, better yet, start a new topic right here.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 05:12:47 PM by FatboyCykes »

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2010, 05:11:58 PM »
To be perfectly honest the only comment I have for you is.. Isnt it time for a new hat? Isn't that thing from like your grandfather?

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2010, 05:13:24 PM »
ooppss wrong thread... This forum is a pain. Anyway. Childish? Hmmm Immature? Hmmm must be part of the UFO wanna be clan?

Offline S45ACP

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2010, 05:14:55 PM »
I just checked out the pic's. 

Can someone help out this newbie?   Where are there pics? How do I get to them? 

I guess my video camera wasn't necessary but I did take one (jerky) picture of most of the crowd, panning from one end of the pavilion to the other if anyone has an interest.
"Freedom is not free"

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2010, 05:21:52 PM »
I just checked out the pic's. 

Can someone help out this newbie?   Where are there pics? How do I get to them? 

I guess my video camera wasn't necessary but I did take one (jerky) picture of most of the crowd, panning from one end of the pavilion to the other if anyone has an interest.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glavere/sets/72157624375632992/

Offline S45ACP

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2010, 07:15:50 PM »
Thanks for helping a brother out  :D
"Freedom is not free"

Offline NHCGRPR45

• Macomb Twp. MI
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2010, 12:47:12 AM »
i posted this for a person asking about AK pistol OC holsters, and kinda went off topic and expressed a little agravation about anti-pistol AK posts on OCDO, and i thought it would be food for thought about the anti- long gun stuff about our succesful picnic in marysville. have at it!

there is a long gun weapon retention device that is made by BLACKHAWK Industries. its a velcro weapon catch that holds your long gun close to your side when repelling or running so that its not bouncing around and slapping your knees, which by the way really sucks! i don't have mine anymore but i do believe that it would work for your AK pistol. it works well with M4's but will also work equally well with AK's with the original would front grips, i don't know about the newer picatinny rails or other options that are now available. however their is a "catch" if you use this its not a one hand use item, you would need to grip the pistol grip, the with your "reaction" side hand pull open the velcro to release the weapon. i would advise a single point attachment sling also, since this weapon catch is not designed for regular everyday carry. SPECTRE gear has a great single point sling and so does blakchawk. i am looking into buying the FN SCAR-H side folder in .308 or a SIG556 in 5.56x45 side folder to register as a pistol so i can have a loaded long gun in my car, BTW thanks MI for that! and its sometimes neat to open carry a long gun, some open carry picnics it would be fun and some cities it would also just be a good idea for some.since detroit and flint have been ranked 1st and 6th in most dangerous cities in the U.S. granted everyday carry of these would be impractical. i will take static for that but its not a bad idea to have a long gun handy for self defense IMO handguns are a poor choice for self defense, a handgun should be used to fight your way to a long gun i keep my NHC 1911 by my bedside, but when i finally get a shotgun i will lock up the 1911 and use the shotgun for home defense. the reason handguns have been made the default firearm for self defense is not because they are better for self defense, its because they are easier to conceal, and carry daily. i also think rifle caliber semi-auto pistols are a poor choice for most is because of the recoil produced which leads to in-accuracy, and the "shoot through" or over penetration. new ammunition reduces this risk, and also reduces felt recoil but the size of the rifle caliber pistols is usually prohibitive. however due to MI laws certain rifles and shotguns in MI qualify as pistols in MI. the SIG side folder 556 and SCAR-L 5.56 and SCAR-H .308, mossberge shotguns and some shotguns with collapsing butstocks will qualify as pistols. to me the biggest advantage this gives someone is the fact that a long gun in MI must be unloaded and in a case. but if your long gun qualifies as a pistol in MI then your CPL would allow you to have your "long gun" loaded anywhere in your vehicle, hence bypassing the no loaded long gun rule. you can carry your pistol with you but now you have a rifle back up in your car, in rural areas and big cities this is a force multiplier that can't be over looked! but you should carry what you have, anygun is better than no gun at all! even a 1 shot .22 is better than nothing. but you should be very confident in what you carry AK pistol carry is not a legal issue, its a perception issue. at close range your AK pistol is absolutely more powerful than most handguns! its also more likely to over penetrate your "target" training can help fix accuracy, and good situational perception can limit over penetration issues, but it cannot remove it. IMO stick with handgun caliber pistols for everyday carry but don't limit yourself because of "perceptions" of rifle caliber pistols that others think is wrong just because of the way it looks. rememeber the Assault Weapons Ban of 94? the ban did nothing to limit the ballistics of the rifles it affected, it even helped the accuracy of some weapons! it just addressed the LOOK of scary guns! the weapons it affected most were hanguns by limiting the available mag capacity. not the ballistics of the rounds used, but the number! silly to a pro 2nd amendment person, but just good sense to an anti! it was a perception issue! not a practical issue!
well this is all just my opinion and personally i don't care whether someone carries a long gun daily or a rifle caliber pistol either! DO IT! its your RIGHT!!!!!!! and i will not try to push my OPINION, OR PERCEPTIONS on you! i will not force my opinion on someone who wants to open carry a long gun, or a rifle caliber pistol!by law a pistol is a pistol! AR, AK, or 1911 or SIG, FN, GLOCK, its a pistol! BY LAW! it no diffrent that red t-shirt vs. blue t-shirt! its a personal choice! my choice could be diffrent, but its MY CHOICE!
Carry ON!