Author Topic: Marysville open carry picnic  (Read 20342 times)

Offline FatboyCykes

Re: Marysville open carry picnic
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 08:10:18 PM »
Went to the Warren City Fair today that was held @ Halmich Park, same park as Stilly's picnic.  Didn't see a single LEO while there, arrived @ 3PM when they "opened" and left @ about 7PM.

Quite a few lookers, but only one conversation.  Unfortunately I didn't get the Gentleman's name, but he was the "manager" of the fair.  He had a few questions regarding legally OCing as a friend of his, who also worked for the fair, wanted to carry, but had an incident in his young adult years that was still on his record, preventing him from acquiring a PPP.

Then he mentioned that they were in Marysville a few weeks ago were there were some OCers on-site that had some interaction with MPD or whoever the LEO's involved were.  I mentioned that I knew of the event and was a part of the same organization as the gentlemen in question.  Here's the good part....I'm not sure as what point in time it happened, and neither was he, but at one point, the LEO came over to him and told him that he needed to ask the OCer's to leave, that they couldn't do anything until he, the manager, asked them to leave.  He told me, for whatever that's worth, that he had no problem with them being there as they weren't causing any trouble and refused the LEO's request.  He said he had no problem with me carrying there and we had quite a lovely conversation regarding MI firearm laws as they pertained to OC.

Offline smellslikemichigan

• MOC Member
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 08:14:49 PM »
bazinga!
"I like users who quote themselves in their signature lines." -smellslikemichigan

Offline S45ACP

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 02:30:39 PM »
. .  but at one point, the LEO came over to him and told him that he needed to ask the OCer's to leave, that they couldn't do anything until he, the manager, asked them to leave.

Not that we really needed more proof to understand this was more of a personal issue than anything else by the MPD LEOs but this really makes it clear. Of course it is FatboyCyke's word that this conversation occured and maybe the fair manager made up his bit, blah blah, if any of the "haters" from the TimesHerald posts would see this information that is what they would say. I think for those of us with eyes-wide-open it makes a lot of sense.

We don't know if someone asked the LEO to do something or if they just took it upon themselves to try to stir up something by asking the manager to complain, but if they did just take it upon themselves, you realize how bad that makes them look? Nothing like getting someone to issue a complaint so they can harass citizens eh? Maybe they were bored.  Maybe MPD has too many employees.

Next they will be going door to door asking residents if they think people speed by their houses too often so they can set up more speedtraps.  I'm sad too, because Marysville even went to the length of opening a Tim Horton's (donut shop) and we still can't keep from being harassed.
"Freedom is not free"

Offline Advanced Security

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 10:48:47 PM »
Hey, so my wife can't make it, so let's go a -1 for me, so only 2 total.  Question, do we have a rough count so I know how much meat I should get?

Thanks,
Jeff

• MOC Member
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2010, 10:52:39 PM »
Hey, so my wife can't make it, so let's go a -1 for me, so only 2 total.  Question, do we have a rough count so I know how much meat I should get?

Thanks,
Jeff
i would say we're probably looking at 20 at this point, but as the day gets closer i would imagine that number will go up.  20 is probably a safe bet though.  THANKS!
"I like users who quote themselves in their signature lines." -smellslikemichigan

Offline army74

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 04:24:37 AM »
i got 32 burgers

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »
i got 32 burgers

Thanks for the heads up, almost bought some today!  Lol. I'm going to grab a similar # of hot dogs...

Anything else?

Jeff

• MOC Member
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 06:23:49 PM »
how about half hot dogs, half hamburgers.  someone else is bringing dogs as well.  we need to cover all our bases to make sure there is enough.   ;D thanks again

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 06:36:42 PM »
Ok, just checked the list. Put me down for plates, cups, and napkins. :).

I'm bringing cash for a family membership, is that possible to do?

Thanks,

Jeff

• MOC Member
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 06:41:30 PM »
sorry, i need to update the list from OCDO those are already covered on there.  if you could do half hotdogs and half burgers that would be helpful.

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 11:00:04 PM »
sorry, i need to update the list from OCDO those are already covered on there.  if you could do half hotdogs and half burgers that would be helpful.

Absolutely. I don't have to bring hot dogs, if there is something else you guys need.  As it stands I'll bring 15-20 hot dogs, 15-20 burgers, plates, napkins and cups.  Anything else, yell

Jeff

• MOC Member
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2010, 09:02:45 AM »
one day left bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline CPL-in-PH

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2010, 10:25:47 AM »
No WONDER I was the ONLY person OPEN CARRYING IN the Marysville Park, Sat 6/26....I was a DAY EARLY!  ha ha...   wow....what boat did I get off of?    ;D

• MOC Member
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2010, 10:28:31 AM »
haha ;D nice.  you coming back today?

• MOC Member
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2010, 07:31:15 PM »
thanks to EVERYONE who came and especially to those who came from hours away. the turnout of people who have never even been on the forum was amazing. lots of local support from people who saw the newspaper article.

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2010, 10:00:54 PM »
First picnic. Won't be my last either. Very fun time. Educational too. Was awesome meeting everyone!

God Bless,

Jeff

Offline army74

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2010, 11:45:21 PM »
It was good to meet everyone some new people and people ive met a couple times before. Now i need to get my rear end in gear to get some stuff for the pontiac picnic was asked today by a friend who does gun shows and would like info to hand out on oc she will be at the picnic on August 8th 1pm to 5pm Even some OCers from The local college and some people that are running for office hope to see you guys there

Offline cabman1

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2010, 08:24:45 AM »
I just checked out the pic's.  I have to tell ya I am glad I didnt go it might have went well but I seen at least 2 either aks or ar and that would have been a deterrent sorry guys.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc or the law.

• MOC Member
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2010, 08:32:13 AM »
we're glad too.   ;D
they were a complete non-issue, just like the rest of the firearms there.

http://www.thetimesherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2010100627013
it's very underwhelming compared to the amount of questions the reporter asked.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 04:50:56 PM by smellslikemichigan »

Offline S45ACP

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2010, 04:41:36 PM »
Hey everyone. I did not get a chance to meet you all but did enjoy those that we did meet.

Smells, I clicked that link and it gave me a page could not be found on the TH website like the story was taken down.  I am assuming that young lady that dropped by got a story in the paper? I was looking this afternoon and couldn't find anything so figured she hadn't submitted the story for print yet. 
"Freedom is not free"