Author Topic: shooting IDPA  (Read 7078 times)

Offline hubblejj

• First Name (Displayed): Jason
shooting IDPA
« on: June 01, 2013, 02:28:55 PM »
Does anyone here shoot IDPA events?  I was thinking about going to one to check it out, and if it looked as fun as I have seen on videos I think I might start shooting in them.  Anyone here shoot at these events?  What do you think of them? 
When the Government fears the people you have Freedom, When the people fear the Government you have Tyranny

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: shooting IDPA
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 03:13:40 PM »
I don't, but when I got into shooting I thought I might.  I attended an IDPA event as a spectator one weekend at a club south of Lansing.  It was a lot of fun and well run, but for some reason I never started doing it myself.

It definitely helps your shooting skills!

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 05:11:43 AM »
I have shot a few.   They are great experience and tons of fun.  I highly recommend going to one.   

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 10:31:11 PM »
I'd be interested in an IDPA class; running the course with an instructor, without the pressure of being the 'newbie'.
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 01:06:56 AM »
I'd be interested in an IDPA class; running the course with an instructor, without the pressure of being the 'newbie'.

Everybody is a newbie sometime.  South Kent Sportsmans Club runs a Basic 101 class that is required before shooting a match.  One is scheduled this Saturday.

Also, Rockford Sportsmans club is very welcoming to new comers. I have brought several newbs there and they all had a good time. 

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 01:15:25 AM »
Everybody is a newbie sometime. 

Offline lawmangr

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 09:17:01 PM »
For those in the area, I highly recommend going to a Defensive Pistol shoot at Rockford Sportsman Club in Rockford, Mi.  I've been interested in IDPA for a while, but, like you, I'm a total newb and didn't wan the pure competition part of it.  At the defensive pistol shoots they generally follow most IDPA rules, but losely, and although Steve (the guy who runs it) keeps times, penalties, etc. and shares the scores, the emphasis is on developing your skills in defensive situations, not the competition of getting the best score (lowest time).

Matter of fact, the RO gave me several great pointers throughout the morning.  It was really helpful.

Offline Shadow Bear

• MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 05:07:25 PM »
Had a geezer instructor at Rockford read me the riot act because I, horror of horrors-

used the slide release to.............release the slide.

Com'on....seriously?

Now, I know 50% will agree with me, and the other 50% will vilify me. That fact alone makes my case. It's not gospel...

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 06:59:29 PM »
Had a geezer instructor at Rockford read me the riot act because I, horror of horrors-

used the slide release to.............release the slide.

So do I.  You need to be able to do that.  You need to be able to rack the slide one-handed, too, but that's a different but related issue.  What was his major malfunction?

With some guns, if you slam a new magazine home hard enough you can cause the slide to release itself.   ;D

Offline Shadow Bear

• MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 10:35:31 PM »
So do I.  You need to be able to do that.  You need to be able to rack the slide one-handed, too, but that's a different but related issue.  What was his major malfunction?

With some guns, if you slam a new magazine home hard enough you can cause the slide to release itself.   ;D

He felt the slingshot was the only 'proper' way to chamber a round on a 1911, yet, for every instructor you find that feels that way, you can find another that disagrees.

His attitude rankled; someone with better qualifications would say that it is his preference, but it's not gospel. He needs a dose of humility.

Perhaps with some of the new pistol designs, it's true? but not 1911's...

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 01:46:26 AM »

My Glock 22 and 27 will do that "MOST" of the time however I never count on it.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 02:46:22 AM »
Yep, Glocks are one of those guns.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 03:05:03 AM »
Yep - my 17 does so often / my 26's not so often? The 45 FNX will almost always. Still can't get my revolver to do it! Dang it! lol :P
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
I have and do shoot IDPA events. They are a great training. Most of the stages mimic defensive shooting situations, moving and reloading. I would highly recommend it.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.