Linked Events

• Michigan Open Carry Seminar in Owosso: May 05, 2013

Author Topic: Michigan Open Carry Seminar in Owosso - May 5th, 2013  (Read 5000 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Michigan Open Carry Seminar in Owosso - May 5th, 2013
« on: April 11, 2013, 01:06:42 AM »
Never open carried before? Curious about it?

Join us for an Open Carry seminar at the VFW in Owosso! Lawful Open Carry of a Holstered handgun welcome (but not required).  The VFW has given us written permission (for non-CPL Holders under MCL 750.234d).

These seminars, presented by Michigan Open Carry, are an excellent opportunity to learn about the laws and myths that surround the Open Carry of a handgun in Michigan.

Bring a friend and find out more about Open Carry in Michigan and Michigan Open Carry, Inc.

Please invite a guest to register/reserve seats as well.

Where: VFW Post 9455
519 S. Chipman St
Owosso, MI 48867
When: May 5, 2013 @ 4:00 PM

Presenters: Phillip Hofmeister (President of Michigan Open Carry)

Brian Jeffs (Director of Research of Michigan Open Carry)

RSVP HERE
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:15:46 AM by TheQ »
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

xerxescct

Re: Michigan Open Carry Seminar in Owosso - May 5th, 2013
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 06:23:17 PM »
What better way to spend my 31st Birthday. Looking forward to hearing you speak Phil.

xerxescct

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 06:51:07 PM »
Is anyone else on this forum going to this event? The reason I ask is I still have jitters about loading a gun from the trunk of my car without a CPL.

I know I know, it sounds funny and I worry too much but in my mind its a legitimate bump in the road I need to get over. I just wanted to make sure I follow the rules and dont wind up with a felony or something. I am all about baby steps. I know it will be easier with support from a member at the event.

Thanks

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 10:04:54 PM »
I will be presenting the seminar.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 10:06:47 PM »
I wear my dropleg on the drive (empty).

Case the pistol. I keep my mags loaded (don't see anything in the statute saying you cant do that) and then I stick the mag not in my dropleg next to my pistol in the case (keep in mind, the pistol itself can't be loaded).

When I get to my destination, open the trunk and the pistol case, throw the mag in, release the slide, and insert the pistol into the holster.

Hope this helps.

-Jason
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member

xerxescct

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 04:56:22 AM »
I wear my dropleg on the drive (empty).

Case the pistol. I keep my mags loaded (don't see anything in the statute saying you cant do that) and then I stick the mag not in my dropleg next to my pistol in the case (keep in mind, the pistol itself can't be loaded).

When I get to my destination, open the trunk and the pistol case, throw the mag in, release the slide, and insert the pistol into the holster.

Hope this helps.

-Jason

Thanks Jason. That does help alot and I will use your method for arming myself. I have read all the rules and laws but even still it helps to have support. I don't see the point in groups that simply say go read this. The law may be cut and dry but it is still open to interpretation to each officer. I just want to avoid a mistake. That's one reason I'm going to the seminar.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 09:50:19 AM »

Thanks Jason. That does help alot and I will use your method for arming myself. I have read all the rules and laws but even still it helps to have support. I don't see the point in groups that simply say go read this. The law may be cut and dry but it is still open to interpretation to each officer. I just want to avoid a mistake. That's one reason I'm going to the seminar.

We say: read this and ask us specific questions ;)

xerxescct

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 07:55:41 PM »
good seminar. Learned alot and everyone was friendly. Felt a little out of place since I don't have my cpl which caught me off guard since it was an open carry seminar. From what I gather it would be wise to get my cpl before moving any further with the group. Money is tight for us right now with my wife being laid off work indefinitely but hopefully by the end of the year ill get one in order. If not there is always next tax refund.

Thanks again to Phil and Jerry who were both informative.

Sean

Offline woodtic31

• First Name (Displayed): Reg
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 08:06:07 PM »
good seminar. Learned alot and everyone was friendly. Felt a little out of place since I don't have my cpl which caught me off guard since it was an open carry seminar. From what I gather it would be wise to get my cpl before moving any further with the group. Money is tight for us right now with my wife being laid off work indefinitely but hopefully by the end of the year ill get one in order. If not there is always next tax refund.

Sean

No need to feel out of place. Many of us have our CPL's for different reasons. My biggest was to avoid the dilemma you had about going back and forth to the trunk, loading and holstering my weapon. No one needs a CPL to be apart of this group. Remember, the name says it all, Michigan OPEN Carry. We are happy to have you with us!!!!!!!

North East Michigan Coordinator

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 07:45:53 AM »

Sean

No need to have a CPL to participate in the group. If you don't have a CPL, you better be darn sure (for your sake) you know and observe the laws religiously when you carry.