Author Topic: Who works in IT  (Read 25657 times)

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: Who works in IT
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »
Dan,

That's interesting. What kind of optics were you using? Sounds like some wide open aperture action, or mad macro level.

No it's just something he was dicking around with.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 12:53:37 AM »
Dan,

That's interesting. What kind of optics were you using? Sounds like some wide open aperture action, or mad macro level.
It's been 20 years, I couldn't tell you the specifics.  Not that I know all of them.  I was just hired to write the software.  The lens had a very wide aperture, so the depth of focus was extremely narrow.  I mean EXTREMELY.  It was a scientific camera designed for that type of use.
Interesting the mention about the C interpreter. I'm assuming the time savings of being able to quickly write and use the code outweighed the performance benefits of actually compiling the code?
As you might surmise, writing a compiler wasn't an issue.  Compiling wouldn't have sped things up, and it wouldn't have assisted my task.  I needed a vehicle to convey instructions, and since C is so nakedly powerful with minimal code, and since my user would know C, it seemed like the natural method to create a task routine.  I also provided a C "checker" (kind of like a C pre-processor, or CPP if you are familiar with C compiling) that would test for invalid C code so one could make sure their routine was good before finding out two hours into a three hour run that you had an error!  I thought of everything, or at least I tried to.  I never heard one single complaint about the software or user manual I wrote.  Last I knew it was still in use, although that has been a while.  I'm sure now it is not.  Not because it has been replaced.  I'd bet my next paycheck no one has done anything like that since.  But just because people don't use that platform any more.
My only real claim to fame is being second author on a teaching case that my advisor had published in the Journal of Information Systems Education. I basically did the data model and some other stuff.
Not really sure what that entailed.  I never had an adviser.  Well, I checked with one the last semester before I graduated to make sure I was going to graduate, but otherwise I stayed clear of them.  I did approach a prof one day about doing an independent study.  I was writing an Amiga 2D/3D graphing library (full color, of course) on my own, and thought I could parlay that into an independent study class taking a certain mathematical program's output and graphing it like Maple.  This was before a certain mathematical program had the capabilities it does now.   I am talking about doing all of this as an undergrad.  Although I did start my grad degree, I never bothered finishing.  As a single father I had three kids to take care of.
I've picked up one of those Arduino units, but don't really have any other electronics to interface it with. 
I was not familiar with that until I looked it up just now.  Experiment on your own.  I've etched my own circuit boards.   I've designed my own breadboards.  In fact, that's another thing I did, write my own digital circuit simulation software that, last I counted, had users on four continents (that I know of). Australia would have been number five, but never heard anything from them so...

Go for it.  I remember back in the late 80's/early 90's I was going to write programmable logic controller software along the lines of an Allen Bradley 584/984 with real world I/O.  I never got around to it.  It would have been fun.  And relatively easy I think.  Plus, no equivalent to this day ever existed in the PC or Mac world that I am aware of.  Thus it would have been extremely useful in both teaching/training and real world control.  Only your imagination hinders you.  Life is just too short, and some things you can't put off or technology outpaces you.  For me, work, music, and a bad marriage got in the way.

IMO the best way to learn is to give yourself a project.  For example, design your own Christmas light display like you see on youtube videos.  It doesn't have to be that powerful, but make a simple version of that.  That will give you experience in crafting a user-friendly graphical software interface as well as designing and building a real world hardware interface.  You will begin to learn the real issues that are involved between hardware and software and with creating a product.  Just solving the human interface issues alone will be a big step.

After you get a couple of simple projects like that under your belt, go for it.  The world is your oyster.

[insert Frankie Goes to Hollywood reference here]
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 02:45:50 AM by gryphon »

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 09:07:55 AM »
Not really sure what that entailed.  I never had an adviser.  Well, I checked with one the last semester before I graduated to make sure I was going to graduate, but otherwise I stayed clear of them.  I did approach a prof one day about doing an independent study.  I was writing an Amiga 2D/3D graphing library (full color, of course) on my own, and thought I could parlay that into an independent study class taking a certain mathematical program's output and graphing it like Maple.  This was before a certain mathematical program had the capabilities it does now.   I am talking about doing all of this as an undergrad.  Although I did start my grad degree, I never bothered finishing.  As a single father I had three kids to take care of.

Well, my adviser at cmich was also a prof I had for a few classes. Actually, this teaching case was for an independent study, as I didn't really want to do anything more with SAP (The IS program at cmich is *huge* on SAP).

For shits and giggles, here's a copy of the article. Note: This doesn't have the proof of concept system I designed for this teaching case - I think that's something you can get if you subscribed to JISE. My prof wanted me to do it in access (it hurt, trust me). If you want it though, let me know and I can dig it up.

As for further formal education, meh. Not sure what I'd want to do. Really not sure if a Masters would help at all other than drain my bank account. I figure if anything, I'd try and get a high LSAT score to shoot for a full ride at Cooley, but that's about it (and Law isn't something I'd want to do full time).

IMO the best way to learn is to give yourself a project.

I can't agree with you more on this!

Small projects are how I ended up getting proficient with PHP. The PHP Library for Storm On Demand is how I ended up learning the OO side of it.

One of the other LTs in my unit got his EE degree from Western. He was a cadet up until december. He had to do something with a toyota prius. I recommended the Arduino unit, which his group ended up using for some control stuff. Might tinker around with my Buick if I end up going on this deployment and getting the cash for another car.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 09:06:46 AM »
Systems Engineer at a Fortune 500 bank in Auburn Hills.

eDirectory, Active Directory, ZENWorks, and Systems Center Configuration Manager. Other duties as assigned.

Scratch that... Friday is my last day.  I'll be a Linux SysAdmin in Okemos on Monday. 

Planned change of course.  Time to leave Metro Detroit. 
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »
Scratch that... Friday is my last day.  I'll be a Linux SysAdmin in Okemos on Monday. 

Any clues as to who for?

Largest tech outfit that I know of in Okemos is Techsmith, but they're a windows shop as far as I know.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 09:53:33 AM »
I think you'll like Okemos. I live there.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 10:38:59 AM »

I think we should have a luncheon for the highly unofficial Lansing Chapter of Geeks with Guns.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 12:28:42 PM »

We are looking at the Holt area.  Houses are less expensive, therefore taxes are less.  Both sets of parents are in Jackson, so my kids will be able to see the grandparents easier. 

I think we should have a luncheon for the highly unofficial Lansing Chapter of Geeks with Guns.

Sounds like an idea.  I don't know what the stance is on firearms and if the handbook includes premise.  If its during the week, I might not be able to carry.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 03:36:22 PM »
We are looking at the Holt area.  Houses are less expensive, therefore taxes are less.  Both sets of parents are in Jackson, so my kids will be able to see the grandparents easier. 

Sounds like an idea.  I don't know what the stance is on firearms and if the handbook includes premise.  If its during the week, I might not be able to carry.

Dimondale isn't too bad either, but the downside is that it's on the other side of town (albeit quite close to 69 and 96).
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Who works in IT
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 03:42:16 PM »

We do need a Lansing area coordinator for MOC.....
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2013, 10:55:24 AM »
hello all!

i am in the IT field. currently working for a firm that does network/system installs/support/configurations for dental offices in the midwest. we also do kodak xray work for dental practices as well. i am an avid OC'er and live in northern macomb county. maybe we support your dentist :) anyways glad to see so many much like myself in a field ruled by "nerds" newsflash nerds + guns = cool :)

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Who works in IT
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2013, 01:59:22 PM »
Our IT director is always looking for talent. Interested persons can email him at it@miopencarry.org.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2013, 02:51:37 PM »
Our IT director is always looking for talent. Interested persons can email him at it@miopencarry.org.

I was actually talking with Tom about maybe having an IT working group of sorts. Still have the director, but have multiple people that can work on stuff
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Who works in IT
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2013, 03:15:09 PM »

I was actually talking with Tom about maybe having an IT working group of sorts. Still have the director, but have multiple people that can work on stuff

That's the idea!

Email the IT team if you're interested in helping out.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2013, 03:39:26 PM »
Anything we can do IT related would help gun owners, OCers, and MOC.  Expand the website, have online apps, references, databases, etc. Develop Android and iPhone apps.

IT stuff is fun and useful.  It would promote OC and MOC!

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2013, 04:07:14 PM »
Anything we can do IT related would help gun owners, OCers, and MOC.  Expand the website, have online apps, references, databases, etc. Develop Android and iPhone apps.

those arent my area of expertise but if there is anything i can contribute to. such as beta testing of apps. i would be fine with that.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2013, 05:18:50 PM »

One thing I was thinking of was having a searchable list of "local authorities" that fall under preemption based on location/zip/etc
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Who works in IT
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2013, 06:23:21 PM »

One thing I was thinking of was having a searchable list of "local authorities" that fall under preemption based on location/zip/etc

"All of them?"

Offline karudin

• First Name (Displayed): Gregg
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2014, 08:55:59 AM »
Network Engineer here, I deal mostly with Cisco Phone system products. I work for a company based out of Maryland, my boss is in Florida, and I get to work/relax from home here in MI.

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2014, 02:43:39 PM »
I don't work in IT, I work in MI.

I'm a web applications developer and a windows application developer for a global Christian non-profit in Grand Rapids.