Author Topic: Looking in to building an AR or AK  (Read 10090 times)

Offline mrscarlet3434

• I miss my wife, badly. My sites are off. :-D
  • First Name (Displayed): Phil
Looking in to building an AR or AK
« on: May 31, 2013, 05:07:58 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am a new member and just signed up today. I own several pistols and small caliber rifles, but thought it was about time to look in to buildings myself a big boy rifle.  ;D I have been doing some surfing and would like to build an AR or an AK if building the AK is possible. First question is what are everyone's thoughts about the AR vs. the AK? I do see the the AK ammo is cheap and available, but there are a whole look of AR owners out there and I expect the ammo will come down soon. I would like to do it inexpensively if possible. If it gets to be too much I will just purchase one from a local gun store. Any advice, links to uppers, and a heads up as to who would have the complete lower at a descent price in SE Michigan would be greatly appreciated. Or even advice on parts list and where to find a stripped lower would be a big help.

Thanks,

Phil
Siberian Water Polo #1

"A good friend will bail you out of jail. A true friend would be sitting next to you in jail saying,"Boy she didn't look like a cop, did she?""
                       ... Rodney Carrington

Offline Justice

• First Name (Displayed): Justice
Re: Looking in to building an AR or AK
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 10:44:27 PM »
Watch out buying AK-47 receivers. With some, the metal is thinner. Look up building AK-47's on youtube, that's where I found my info, by watching a lot of videos. The golden (Supposed) rule is to find an AK with a machined reciever (Which is the way I would go at this juncture). But as always, that's left up for debate. :)

P.S. I have no experience nor even own a rifle yet, just conveying what I have researched thus far. :)

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 09:59:14 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am a new member and just signed up today. I own several pistols and small caliber rifles, but thought it was about time to look in to buildings myself a big boy rifle.  ;D I have been doing some surfing and would like to build an AR or an AK if building the AK is possible. First question is what are everyone's thoughts about the AR vs. the AK? I do see the the AK ammo is cheap and available, but there are a whole look of AR owners out there and I expect the ammo will come down soon. I would like to do it inexpensively if possible. If it gets to be too much I will just purchase one from a local gun store. Any advice, links to uppers, and a heads up as to who would have the complete lower at a descent price in SE Michigan would be greatly appreciated. Or even advice on parts list and where to find a stripped lower would be a big help.

Thanks,

Phil
I have stripped AR lowers.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 01:49:33 AM »
I have stripped AR lowers.

Do you need a fishing pole to retrieve them?  ::)

Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline mrscarlet3434

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 01:07:25 PM »
Thanks CV67PAT for the reply.  I'm still figuring out the forms and want sure how to contact you directly.  If I may ask,  how much are you asking for a stripped lower?  I can start with that and buy the parts a bit at a time so it's not so much out of pocket at once.  Spikestactical ir Brownell or and number of places will have parts at descent prices.  Does anyone know what twist is best for 5.56 NATO?  Not sure if I should spend the extra for 1:7 or is 1:8 or 1:9 good enough?  I know the correct twist will make the projectile stable.  Just wondering if anyone had experience with the difference in accuracy.
Siberian Water Polo #1

"A good friend will bail you out of jail. A true friend would be sitting next to you in jail saying,"Boy she didn't look like a cop, did she?""
                       ... Rodney Carrington

Offline mrscarlet3434

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 01:14:08 PM »
Thanks for the advice Justice.  I'm leary of building the AK.  I'd like to have one because of the availability of ammo,  but this may sound stupid but I think nothing looks meaner then a AR decked out with all the cool furniture   ;D I may do both.  A thinking about it.
Siberian Water Polo #1

... Rodney Carrington

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »
I'm in the same boat.  I'm interested in either a AK or AR. Ammo is much cheaper and more availible for the AK, as well as the gun itself being cheaper. I want an AR, but for what I plan on using it for, I'm not sure it justifies spending the extra money on it over the AK?  I would be interested on price of the lowers as well though. 
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 11:58:20 AM »
Harbor Freight has AK47 receivers. Some fitting is required, though.

Click

Offline mrscarlet3434

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 12:14:31 PM »
I'm in the same boat.  I'm interested in either a AK or AR. Ammo is much cheaper and more availible for the AK, as well as the gun itself being cheaper. I want an AR, but for what I plan on using it for, I'm not sure it justifies spending the extra money on it over the AK?  I would be interested on price of the lowers as well though.

Here's something that might cheer you up.  8) I know searching and trying to decide has bummed me out.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/olympic-arms-a1-carbine-detail.html?Itemid=0

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/m10-762-ak47-rifle2012-06-24-08-23-5972990777-detail.html?Itemid=0

Not a bad price at all for either rifle. I admit you get what you pay for, but for an entry level rifle for a guy that has never owned one, not a bad deal I think.
Siberian Water Polo #1

... Rodney Carrington

Offline mrscarlet3434

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 12:15:42 PM »
Harbor Freight has AK47 receivers. Some fitting is required, though.

Click

Funny...is that a semi or full auto shovel?  ;D
Siberian Water Polo #1

... Rodney Carrington

Offline jfmi87

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 03:41:42 AM »
People will say to get a 1:7 twist just because that is what the military uses, and if they use it then it must be da bomb and everything else is inferior.  1:7 is used by the military since it is needed to stabilize tracer rounds. It suits their needs. There is a lot of information/debate found via Google.

I have 1:9 and shoots 55gr factory ammo just fine.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator

Offline gryphon

• Administrator

Offline mrscarlet3434

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 10:38:53 AM »
Gryphon do you realize what you have done? My wife will come to hate the phrase, "This guy named Gryphon on the forum I read posted these links..."  ;D I am so intrigued it isn't even funny. Is this really possible and are these any groups ion Michigan doing these "build" parties? This I can afford and it looks like fun. Loved the story of the shovel btw. Thanks for the links.
Siberian Water Polo #1

... Rodney Carrington

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 06:28:06 PM »
People will say to get a 1:7 twist just because that is what the military uses, and if they use it then it must be da bomb and everything else is inferior.  1:7 is used by the military since it is needed to stabilize tracer rounds. It suits their needs. There is a lot of information/debate found via Google.

I have 1:9 and shoots 55gr factory ammo just fine.
It has nothing to do with tracers.
1:9 is fine for 55gr (M193).
But if you want to shoot M855 then 1:7 is the correct ratio.
But don't take my word for it. I know absolutely nothing about the M4 platform.

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 08:56:14 AM »
I have built many AR's but no AK's. After researching AK builds I decided for the money I was better of just buying a good complete one. With enough research you should be able to build an AR on your own without too much trouble. As far as ammo, might I recommend building an 5.45x39 AR? Ammo is available and not effected by the price gouging as much. 1000 rounds can be had for $250'ish or less. I love my 5.45x39 AR and it is cheap to shoot.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 09:23:01 AM »
But building a 5.45x39 on an AR platform defeats the major purpose of having an AK in the first place.  At least to most having an AK is not about ammo cost, it's about the platform itself, no?

Offline mrscarlet3434

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 10:17:10 AM »
Intriguing Idea. An AR platform chambered in  5.45x39. I'm not familiar with this caliber, so I have nothing to base an assessment on. Gryphon has a point though. The simplistic beauty and ruggedness of the AK platform is it's biggest attraction for me. How about the opposite? An AK chambered in 5.56/.223? and since building an AK is far more inexpensive then the AR counter part, build one in standard 7.62x39 as well.  Just an Idea. After researching I figured out that I have most of the skills necessary to build the AK from a flat and I am willing to invest in the tools a bit at a time. I can justify it because after I have the tools purchased I can build countless AK's after that at minimum cost. Plus, according to my 15 year son's reasoning, "You'll be able to build plenty AK's for the coming Zombie apocalypse Dad".  :P I can get away with about $400.00 in tools that I don't already have. I can eliminate a little over $200.00 in tools if I build a simple jig out of stock steel that I saw on YouTube yesterday that doesn't require a hydraulic press to bend the flat. So basically I would have to purchase a 240v Spot welder from Harbor Freight for $179.00 and run heavier gauge line to my garage and put a small breaker box out there with a 240 circuit and a couple of 120's. I had planned on re-wiring the garage to set it up as my work shop anyway, so it all lines up with my plan. I think I smell a build party coming sometime late this year or early next year for anyone that may be interested.  :D
Siberian Water Polo #1

... Rodney Carrington

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 04:54:49 PM »
  5.45x39. I'm not familiar with this caliber

That's the AK-74 round.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 02:32:11 AM »
after browsing and reading for quite a while on both, I decided to go the AR route.  I love the look of the AK.  They are made to handle abuse, and last forever.  On the other hand, the AR has far more options and is very easy to work on.  Also, if you buy an AK from an imported parts kit, it must conform to the 922r guidelines.(a maximum of 10 out of 16 specific imported parts).   I ended up choosing the AR based on a couple reasons.  I can reload the ammo much easier for the .223 than the 7.62.  The majority of 7.62 that i see is steel or aluminum case, and the brass is just as expensive as the .223, which defeats the aspect of ammo being cheaper (for me at least).  I have more friends with know-how on AR's and nobody i know deals with AKs.   I decided i would rather do long range shooting (which the AR is better suited for) than the medium to close range that the AK is designed for.  Im also interested in shooting 300 aac Blackout, which is based off a .223 round, so the only part i would need is a barrel.  I will probably end up just getting a different upper, so i can just swap them out on the fly though.  Also, a .22lr conversion kit can be had for right around 200 bones.  So if the ammo prices return to normal, it will be a lot cheaper to do the majority of my plinking with that.  Im not familiar with the 5.45x39 round, so i cant speak much to that. Ill have to look into it though... I probably will end up owning an AK in the not too distant future, but I am happy with my choice for now.  I ended up buying parts and assembling my AR with the help of a friend.    Good Luck, and if you do end up building an AK, keep us updated!  I would love to see how it turns out. 

heres a couple pics of my AR...

I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline mrscarlet3434

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 11:41:42 AM »
Very nice rifle. I've heard of the 300 Blackout, but I'm afraid it will be a situation where the ammo will be harder to find and more expensive. I have been reading and researching as well. If you look at the 2 rifles, you will begin to realize that, exactly like you said, the AR was built as a rifle that happens to have a semi and full auto setting and is meant to reach out and touch someone. The AK on the other hand was made for medium to short range and really is a hand held machine gun. You'll notice that the first choice on an AR selector is semi-auto and then 3 round burst and finally full auto. Looking at the AK selector, whats the first choice you have? You guessed it, full auto.  And I realize the civilian versions are different. I'm just talking about the military versions. I have found that there is a lot more out there for the AR platform and it is an accurate rifle.  But I do like the heavier 7.62 round. So, I my get blasted for this one, but I have found a kit that has a complete upper, including BCG and charging handle for $535 chambered in 7.62x39. I figure when I want to just practice and plink I'll just get the cheap AK ammo, and when I mean business use the good stuff. But I am of the same thinking, when I want to shoot any other caliber down the road I will just invest in a complete upper and be able to switch on the fly. Either way I figure I am about a month or so out from having my rifle complete and range ready. I'm getting the A3 style, flat top upper. Any advice out there for rear sites, that won't be an arm and a leg to buy? Also, I haven't abandoned the Idea of building an AK from a flat. Its a case of, "Can I do it?".

Phil
Siberian Water Polo #1

... Rodney Carrington