Author Topic: serpa holster  (Read 7635 times)

Offline harleyh77

• First Name (Displayed): Steve
serpa holster
« on: May 09, 2013, 09:28:06 AM »
Based on a suggestion from a couple members I purchased a more secure holster for oc. Its a blackhawk serpa level 3 duty with a high belt ride option and a 2.5 inch belt drop. I like the holster and use the belt drop. However, the belt loops are so tight i have to contort myself to get enough force to get the belt throigh the loops. I have loosened the screws, that did help some. Does this issue resolve itself with wear? Should i try another belt other than the cheap one i have?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: serpa holster
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 12:06:12 PM »
First of all, your belt is an integral part of your carry system.  You should not use a cheap belt.  However, a good, stiff gun belt might be worse from what you are describing.  I can't really picture what your problem is.  I am not familiar with the Level 3 Duty holster.  It is a different animal from the Level 2 holsters as far as belt attachments due to the standoff for operation of the hood lever.  It doesn't sound like you can even use a Serpa paddle attachment, just various belt loop attachments.

I like the Level 2, especially with their very secure paddle (inside and outside the pants hooks), because the gun rides tight to my body.  It looks like this hangs out away from your body quite a bit.  I don't like that.

I don't know what pistol you carry, but you might try either a Safariland ALS, or if you like the hood style (it has some advantages), a Safariland SLS holster.  Safariland holsters are excellent and are not expensive, especially mail order.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 02:12:30 PM »
My suggestion would be to return the serpa and buy a safariland ALS.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
serpa holster
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 02:33:06 PM »

I'd go with this.

Here comes a SERPA v ALS holy war thread.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: Re: serpa holster
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 04:11:59 PM »
that or the sls with lock

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline harleyh77

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 05:18:42 PM »
It could be as simple as put the belt and holster on pants first, then put pants on. I do like this holster, feels like a natural reach to draw and comes out of the holster smooth. I will go check out the safariland though.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 07:06:47 PM »
No Serpa vs ALS flamefest here. Just carry mexican. That's what I do.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
    • http://michiganopencarry.org
  • First Name (Displayed): john
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 09:58:11 PM »
If we all carried a stainless 1911 we probably would...lool
"Any day you don't hear a "POP" and "WHIZ" is a Wonderful day....."

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 01:44:45 PM »
Just carry mexican. That's what I do.

I guess that's one way to avoid the wife nagging for you to get a vasectomy. ::)
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline METL

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 12:42:11 PM »
No Serpa vs ALS flamefest here. Just carry mexican. That's what I do.

I wonder how long it will be until they come out with a Raven VanGuard for 1911.....   

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 12:42:01 PM »
Is it able to convert to a paddle? I know packs come with both the belt loop and the paddle, using the paddle instead of the belt loop might be an easier option.

Offline harleyh77

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 10:14:40 AM »
Is it able to convert to a paddle? I know packs come with both the belt loop and the paddle, using the paddle instead of the belt loop might be an easier option.

The duty holster pack came with the duty high ride and the drop loop attachments. I should be able to purchase the paddle.

Offline Manta

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 10:59:12 AM »
When I initially purchased the Blackhawk SERPA for my 92FS, I tried the belt adapter it came with and found it easier (and awkward) to thread the belt through my pants loops and holster before dressing. Since then I ditched the belt adapter and have been using the large clip instead. I find it's easier to put on and adjust when you're already dressed, stays in place well and doesn't come off accidentally.

One thing to note about the SERPA holsters: expect the finish of your sidearm to wear and scratch a little to a lot (depending on the type of finish your sidearm has). Some folks don't care, and believe it adds character. It bugged me though, so I wound up modifying my SERPA slightly.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
serpa holster
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 12:10:09 PM »

When I initially purchased the Blackhawk SERPA for my 92FS, I tried the belt adapter it came with and found it easier (and awkward) to thread the belt through my pants loops and holster before dressing. Since then I ditched the belt adapter and have been using the large clip instead. I find it's easier to put on and adjust when you're already dressed, stays in place well and doesn't come off accidentally.

One thing to note about the SERPA holsters: expect the finish of your sidearm to wear and scratch a little to a lot (depending on the type of finish your sidearm has). Some folks don't care, and believe it adds character. It bugged me though, so I wound up modifying my SERPA slightly.

Welcome to our Forum :)
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Justice

• First Name (Displayed): Justice
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 10:50:41 PM »
I just bought a 12 dollar holster from dunhams for my Glock 22. Seems fine for draw and such. But I have no experience with hand guns.

I shy away from hype as best I can when it comes to anything in life.

I say, what ever suits you!

Like a guitar, it has to feel right. :)