Author Topic: 11-Yr-Old Suspended From School For Merely TALKING About Guns  (Read 3064 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
The boy was questioned by the principal and a sheriff's deputy, who also wanted to search the family home without a warrant. "...[the deputy said] he's going to have to search my house."

...the deputy left Henkelman's home after the father answered questions in a four-page questionnaire issued by the Sheriff's Office.

http://pro.wmal-af.tritonflex.com/common/page.php?pt=WMAL+EXCLUSIVE%3A+11-Yr-Old+Suspended+From+School+For+Merely+TALKING+About+Guns&id=26543&is_corp=0

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
Re: 11-Yr-Old Suspended From School For Merely TALKING About Guns
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 10:53:31 AM »
Sad, but not surprised.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 06:07:19 PM »
More details have emerged.

Henkelman, a retired Navy veteran, said his son is an honors student who pitches for the local baseball team. And the boy wants to be a Navy SEAL.  “That’s the context of the comments he made on the bus,” he said. “He wants to be a hero.”

After Henkelman picked up his son from school, the deputy sheriff said he would need to search their home.  “I said, by what authority and he said that he had to make sure the house is clear of guns,” he said.

The deputy arrived at their home 15 minutes later armed with a four-page questionnaire.  “I was uncomfortable answering the questions,” he said. “But I was told if I don’t fill this form out – he would not be allowed back in school.”  The questions covered topics ranging from mental health to how many guns and weapons the family owned.

At some point, the deputy said he had to search the home. They got as far as the kitchen when Henkelman decided to feel uneasy.

“I asked him to leave,” he said. “The deputy became agitated and said he would get a search warrant. I said that’s what I needed.”

After the deputy left, Henkelman called the sheriff’s department. He was told over the phone that officers would not be searching his home.

http://townhall.com/columnists/toddstarnes/2013/06/05/boy-suspended-for-merely-saying-gun-n1613688/page/full

Offline cherper

• First Name (Displayed): Cheryl
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 07:40:56 PM »
I would have written NA across each page in huge letters and then told the officer to leave..Never would have let them into the house. Then I would have contacted a lawyer.