Author Topic: Handling firearms in public  (Read 4685 times)

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
Handling firearms in public
« on: June 05, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
This is just kind of a general question.  Are there any laws agains handling firearms out in public.  I guess I've never really thought about it before. The other day I had my carry gun in my car and my friend wanted to look at it...  We were in a public parking garage with nobody around, but it got me thinking.  Just curious for any input. Thanks
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline fsr402

Re: Handling firearms in public
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 08:34:17 PM »
Not sure about it but I do know that I never hand someone a loaded gun. No matter who it is.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 08:55:43 PM »
Not sure about it but I do know that I never hand someone a loaded gun. No matter who it is.

Nope I agree with that 100%. I made him wait till he came back to my house where I had it unloaded before he handled it.

It just made me question, say if I was selling a rifle or something, would I be able to have it in a public place such as a parking lot,  and inspect it without fear of getting in trouble?
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:15:57 PM »
No law against it.  And in fact I have sold several pistols and done just that in parking lots.  I wouldn't go waving a firearm about recklessly, though.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:22:03 PM by gryphon »

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 12:06:39 AM »
No law against it.  And in fact I have sold several pistols and done just that in parking lots.  I wouldn't go waving a firearm about recklessly, though.

Thats what i had assumed.  I know i usually dont invite people buying things from me to my house.  Id much rather do deals at a public place.  In the event of selling a firearm, i didnt want to end up in jail or with a ticket or something because of some law i didnt know about.  Thanks for the input!

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 12:45:55 AM »
Sometimes you don't live near the buyer or seller and agree to meet somewhere in between.  I've sold several pistols, purchased a shotgun, and sold a case of .357 mag all in parking lots.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 12:52:50 AM »
If you're friend doesn't have a CPL, be aware of a CCW violation in your car!
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 02:01:54 AM »
If you're friend doesn't have a CPL, be aware of a CCW violation in your car!

i guess what i wrote can kind of be mis read...  I had the gun in my car, but neither of us were in the car.  Either way, he didnt touch it lol

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 11:11:59 AM »
i guess what i wrote can kind of be mis read...  I had the gun in my car, but neither of us were in the car.  Either way, he didnt touch it lol

I believe TheQ is saying if you both are outside the car and he (assuming he has no CPL) reaches in to retrieve the gun from inside the car.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 11:54:06 AM »
As to the OP I will refer the discussion to MCL 28.422:

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this act, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.
(12) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a pistol if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a pistol.

(b) The person is at a recognized target range or shooting facility.

(c) The person possesses the pistol for the purpose of target practice or instruction in the safe use of a pistol.

(d) The owner of the pistol is physically present and supervising the use of the pistol.

So I guess to answer the question in the OP, the answer is "you can't unless you're at a  gun range or the person 'checking out' the pistol has a CPL"
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 12:41:12 PM »
Aaahhh!  So there is a law that prohibits it!  Guess its a good thing I didn't get it out and let him hold it. 

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 05:16:10 PM »
Aaahhh!  So there is a law that prohibits it!  Guess its a good thing I didn't get it out and let him hold it.

But you have your CPL so there is no prohibition to you having pistols in your car and examining them.  If neither you nor your friend had a CPL, then yes, it would be against the law to handle firearms inside your car, but that wasn't the issue you asked about.

Q did bring up a good point, though, for others that may be reading the thread. 

Offline METL

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 01:33:37 PM »
Nope I agree with that 100%. I made him wait till he came back to my house where I had it unloaded before he handled it.

It just made me question, say if I was selling a rifle or something, would I be able to have it in a public place such as a parking lot,  and inspect it without fear of getting in trouble?

+1 for practicing safe firearms handling skills and rules....     you just don't want to handle the firearm more than you need to.  Showing it to a buddy for no reason isn't really the most safe practice.  Showing him at a range where you've had a place to safely point it and clear/inspect it is better... but you already know that... 

Good job on keeping a clear head and being safe.

Showing at home is ok too, but of course you just have to be more aware of when you're clearing/inspecting becuase of shooting through walls to rooms where people are...etc....

I have done more gun deals in a McDonald's parking lot than I can count...