Author Topic: How not to handle a traffic stop  (Read 3825 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
How not to handle a traffic stop
« on: June 05, 2013, 03:08:27 PM »
Read on another gun board.  A couple of things to note. LTCH is an Indiana License to Carry Handgun.  There is no requirement to notify in Indiana.  Watch what happened when he did anyway.

+++++

Warning: Epic Fail on all party's involved

Ok, i this may be a little long but here it goes. about a month ago i was on my way to work on a saturday around 5am, and as i was making my way through crothersville i noticed i was the only vehicle out on the road at the time as a started to get into town a little bit when i happened to pass a police car, the officer had pulled out and started following me very closely for about 2 miles before finally pulling me over at the end of town which instantly annoyed me because i was running late for work and hadn't been speeding or breaking any traffic laws that i was aware of. The officer walks up to my window and asks the usual...( license, registration, ect.) so i had him what he asks for and i also hand him my LTCH ( this is my usual routine for a traffic stop since i have never had any issues ) and the following conversation ensues.

Officer: do you know why i pulled you over

Me: No

Officer: you have a tag light out.

Me: Ok......

Officer: do you have a firearm in the vehicle

Me:yes

Officer: where is it located

Me: Right here ( i pointed towards the left of my center console where i keep it when traveling.)

Officer: could you please step out of the vehicle

Me: Ok

so once outside of the vehicle i am starting to get annoyed being as i am running late and it was chilly out plus i had no jacket with me at the time. and thats when he asks me to step to the rear of my vehicle with him. and then....

Officer: you wouldn't mind if i search your vehicle would you.

At this point i was in a hurry and was hoping he would just do a quick look around and let me go on my way so i could get to work.....

Me: No, i dont mind but i am running late for work.

at this point he motions for a passenger to get out his car and come over.

Officer: this is ********* he is just as good as any other officer and he is going to watch you for now while i search the vehicle.

so i stand there with the guy that was supposed to be watching me with my hands in my pockets the entire time..at this point me and the gentleman that had been riding with him start to chat while the officer starts his search.

Me: So i am guessing your a ride-along arn't you?

Guy: Yes, i am a member of the town council and i am just out here making sure our guys do their job right.

Me: you are aware that he has no probable cause what so ever to search that vehicle and if i felt the need i could have told you no right? but to make things go a little more smoothly and to get me to work on time i wont worry about it this time.

Guy: yea i understand that, i used to carry all the time my self but i dont worry about it anymore, it just sits in my safe now.

Me: so my tag light is out?

Guy: Yea......That's the best thing Indiana ever done was allow law enforcement to make traffic stops over a tag light, it makes it much easier for us to be able to search and find drugs, you wouldn't believe some of the stuff we have found over a tag light

Me: Really.....( i avoided his idiotic statement since my temper was starting to rise)....well the only thing your going to find in there is a backpack with my safety equip. for work, a piece of paper stating i own the vehicle and maybe an empty water bottle.

At this point the officer walks back around to the car and asks me to open the trunk, in which i did, in which was also totally empty except for a car jack and spare tire....while searching through the trunk i hear him start to get a little excited as i hear his fist knocking around on the floor of my trunk......

Officer: This trunk has a secret compartment....

Me: Really, thats a surprise, i have only owned this car for 2 days.....

i lean into the trunk with him and yank up the floor board to reveal the metal trunk floor of the car.....

Officer: Huh...thats odd....it sounded hollow......

Me: apparently its not......

At this point he stands up right and says...

Officer: Well i guess this car has been throughly searched.....you have a nice night sir.

it is important to note that he did search my work bag also, but he did ask first....doesn't mean i am any less pissed about it.

So....the fail on my part was not tell him to pound sand. but i believe his fail was much more epic considering he had someone who was not a department employee "watch" me, he obviously didn't fear for his safety since he didn't seem to worry about my knife clipped to my pocket....the same pocket i had my hands in the entire time, and he didn't search my person. so this officer has an unarmed, untrained, individual watch over me for his safety while i am still armed with his back to me. and the guy who was "watching me" stood way to close to be safe in the event i had been a "dangerous" person.....i cannot believe the lack of skill and training displayed by this officer and how easily he could have put this untrained individual in danger without realizing it.....i am seriously speechless on the recklessness displayed by this officer. i completely understand his concern for safety, but how can you be concerned for safety and still so damn reckless........anyways i know i am going to get flammed for allowing the search but keep in mind my only goal was to make it to work and keep my job.

oh and if you haven't guessed, the statement highlighted in red is probably what pissed me off the most......if i am ever pulled over again in that town i do not plan on being nice, and will do everything i legally can to tell them to "pound sand" ......this was there free one.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 04:28:54 PM »
A gun person who posts regularly to a gun forum rolled over so easily on his rights?!!?

sighs
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
Re: How not to handle a traffic stop
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 04:40:09 PM »
A gun person who posts regularly to a gun forum rolled over so easily on his rights?!!?

sighs

Better someone roll over their own rights instead of having them push for rolling over on others.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 05:05:29 PM »

Better someone roll over their own rights instead of having them push for rolling over on others.

Huh?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 08:59:43 AM »
Huh?

Think employer parking lot laws..
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline METL

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 01:30:12 PM »
I can understand why you just let him do his thing, but I still think A.) you would have been out of there faster by saying my lawyer doesn't allow me to consent to searches, sorry, and B.) that when people roll over like this the officers develop a sense that everyone will roll over and SHOULD and then get pissy when someone doesn't let them search.  Also, C.) you never know what the officer might find, especially since you have owned the car for 2 days.   That doobie that the guy you bought it from left under the driver's seat...   have fun explaining that one...      or worse, what if the cop planted something?   How you going to get out of that?

NEVER LET THEM SEARCH WITHOUT A WARRANT.

Practice with me now:

I'm sorry officer, I know you're just trying to do you job and all, but my lawyer told me I'm not allowed to consent to searches of my person or property.