Author Topic: Survey show Grand Rapids students uneducated on guns and gun violence.  (Read 3767 times)

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Ban 'idiotic' guns: Survey of Grand Rapids teens finds support for more gun control

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/06/ban_idiotic_guns_survey_of_gra.html

A sampling of the responses that Florido cited:

“Assault weapons are made for killing people in combat and they should not be allowed for civilians.”

“It’s completely idiotic to have a weapon that can kill not only one person but a large crowd of people. They should be banned.”

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Survey show Grand Rapids students uneducated on guns and gun violence.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 10:47:02 AM »
From our friend Matt V....

I'd expect nothing less from Heartwells gang.  Last I checked most teens can't even vote!
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
I was going to attend the presentation of the full survey today, but then I learned that it was not open to the public. Only a few select press.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
Followup with the actual survey and report from the group

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/06/gun_control_advice_from_mayors.html

Summary: the report is very biased and anti, and in many ways does not match the results of the survey.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 05:44:39 PM »

Followup with the actual survey and report from the group

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/06/gun_control_advice_from_mayors.html

Summary: the report is very biased and anti, and in many ways does not match the results of the survey.

This surprises you from Heartless?

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
This surprises you from Heartless?

Not in the slightest. As it turns out, this survey may be more ammo for us than him. Question 16 asked "What do you think contributes to gun violence? Check all that apply. The very first option was "Availability of Guns". It was basically a layup to select this option, however, the report listed the top 3 selected options as Gangs (19%); 2).Drugs (17%); 3.) Mental Illness (15%). The report did not list the percentage of respondents that selected the first option "Availability of Guns", but it is reasonable to infer that this number was lest than 15% and likely low enough to cause the number to not be mentioned in the report.

So apparently, they couldn't even get a group of misinformed kids to say that availability of guns is an issue. That sounds like a win for us.

There's more. The report has a list of "Teen Recommendations to Decrease the Sale of Illegal Firearms". When you go through the list and cross out anything that is already law, illegal, or not applicable, what you are left with are items being pushed by me. So what did the survey say ... listen to me! HA!

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
Lol Tom  ;)

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 07:01:10 PM »

Not in the slightest. As it turns out, this survey may be more ammo for us than him. Question 16 asked "What do you think contributes to gun violence? Check all that apply. The very first option was "Availability of Guns". It was basically a layup to select this option, however, the report listed the top 3 selected options as Gangs (19%); 2).Drugs (17%); 3.) Mental Illness (15%). The report did not list the percentage of respondents that selected the first option "Availability of Guns", but it is reasonable to infer that this number was lest than 15% and likely low enough to cause the number to not be mentioned in the report.

So apparently, they couldn't even get a group of misinformed kids to say that availability of guns is an issue. That sounds like a win for us.

There's more. The report has a list of "Teen Recommendations to Decrease the Sale of Illegal Firearms". When you go through the list and cross out anything that is already law, illegal, or not applicable, what you are left with are items being pushed by me. So what did the survey say ... listen to me! HA!

Was this report a government product? If so...FOIA...