Author Topic: OCing on Mackinaw Island and the Ferry's  (Read 3667 times)

Offline springfield40xdm

OCing on Mackinaw Island and the Ferry's
« on: June 06, 2013, 05:37:42 PM »
I am sure there is a post about this but I can't find it.  If someone could point me in the direction that would be great.  Thanks in advance

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: OCing on Mackinaw Island and the Ferry's
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 07:13:57 PM »
OC on the island is okay.  You are supposed to surrender your firearm to the captain of the ferry during the crossing, and it will be returned to you when you dock, although people have OCed on the ferries without incident.  I'm sure many have CCed on the ferries as well, but since it is hidden...

This post references a TSA rule that firearms are supposed to be surrendered to the captain of the ship. No cite is given.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:24:00 PM by gryphon »

Offline springfield40xdm

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 07:24:10 PM »
Okay thanks! 

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 02:01:06 AM »
Just talk to the captain and let him decide.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline hevymetal

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 11:45:19 AM »
Thread from the other forum I posted about my experience up north last year.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?104600-OC-vacation-experiences-in-Mackinaw-and-the-UP&highlight=mackinac

I OCed just about everywhere and had no real issues. Star Line Ferry was the one we used to get to the island and the Capt. was very amicable about firearms. Just declare it and you will have to clear it dockside before letting the Capt. hold it during the trip. It will be returned as soon as you dock.

As far as I recall there are no areas on the island that are weapons free zones. I was in most of the shops, a few restaurants and even the Grand Hotel.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 01:37:07 AM »
I can't remember which ferry we used last year but when I declared it with the Capt. he just told me to keep it.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine