Author Topic: Shooting range  (Read 4419 times)

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
Shooting range
« on: June 12, 2013, 06:18:06 PM »
I just finished building my AR, and now need a place to shoot it. My parents have a large piece of property, but I don't have a proper backstop so I'm a little hesitant to shoot it there. Can anyone recommend a good place to shoot that has decent length ranges?  I'm looking for 100+ yards to shoot...  Anywhere local to the west Michigan area.  Grand Rapids, Muskegon, holland area?  Thanks!
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Shooting range
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 06:40:24 PM »
but I don't have a proper backstop so I'm a little hesitant to shoot it there.

Yeah, you don't want to be this guy.  Don't know of shooting places in West MI.  Did you check the DNR site?

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 12:14:33 AM »
Well i came across this one.  Fairly close to me and looks like they they have up to 200 yards for rifle!  http://www.wwsc.org/

Thanks!
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

Offline Kutter616

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 10:19:55 AM »
I'm looking for 100+ yards to shoot...  Anywhere local to the west Michigan area.  Grand Rapids, Muskegon, holland area?  Thanks!

http://www.chickowa.com/
Just south of Zeeland.  They have a 100 and 200 yard range.  Check out their website for rules.
Gun control zealots believe that persons who would commit violent crimes would never violate a gun law.

NSA, the only branch of government that's listening!

Offline Raggs

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 03:44:52 PM »
Yeah, you don't want to be this guy.  Don't know of shooting places in West MI.  Did you check the DNR site?

I would go here  https://maps.google.com/?q=42.66356,-85.44682 It is state land and I think 200 yards is possible

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 01:43:07 AM »
How does that work?  Am I allowed to shoot on any state land?  Or is there designated state land? 

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 12:19:42 PM »
I belong here

http://www.sksc.org/

Up to 500 meter rifle, lots of general purpose 25 yd bays, and you can bring guests. 

Offline Raggs

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 02:13:27 PM »
How does that work?  Am I allowed to shoot on any state land?  Or is there designated state land?

Follow the two track on the map to the end of it and you will find a burm to shoot in. it is mowed and best of all free. bring your own target of course.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 12:07:35 AM »
I belong here

http://www.sksc.org/

Up to 500 meter rifle, lots of general purpose 25 yd bays, and you can bring guests.

I finally picked up  a scope and decided its about time to join a gun club.  I was pretty well set on West Walker, but now im having doubts.  Its only about 15 minutes away, has pistol, trap, and a 200 yard rifle range.  cost is 60 bucks buck you cannot bring guests, only 1 (i think) relative at a time.  Technically because im not married, i cant bring my step kids or my girlfriend (of 10 years). 

So now im seriously considering the South Kent club.  Price is nearly double, and its almost a 45min drive. They have all the same ranges i would be interested in, and a rifle up to 550 yards.  I really like the guest part because i have a few friends that i shoot with, and they each shoot a different type, and none are really interested in joining a club, so i would be able to bring them! 

How do you like it?  Is there a policy about kids shooting?  I have an 11 and 13 year old.  Im just trying to determine if the added price and extra distance is really worth it for the longer range and ability to bring guests...

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 12:23:50 AM »
I believe South Kent to be kid friendly.  You can check the rules and ask the manager but I have had my 10 year old grandson out there to shoot.  You are responsible for your guest and need to make sure that they are under your direct supervision at all times.  I looked at Walker and at Rockford as they are both closer drives for me but I joined South Kent because of the facilities and the policies.