Author Topic: Questions.  (Read 5961 times)

Offline Jeff

Questions.
« on: June 10, 2013, 03:03:02 PM »
I just yesterday attended a CPL class and heard a few things that seemed to contradict what I thought I knew.

The instructor said.

When you get your CPL you are never allowed to open carry again by law.  You MUST carry concealed if you're going to carry.
They are going to abolish the ability to OPEN CARRY very soon this year because it has already been approved.
When posted or otherwise been made aware of, you may not carry in any place that says so, including the premises (parking lot), you may not even leave your firearm in your car to go in because it's "on the premises"

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: Questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 03:15:54 PM »
I just yesterday attended a CPL class and heard a few things that seemed to contradict what I thought I knew.

The instructor said.

When you get your CPL you are never allowed to open carry again by law.  You MUST carry concealed if you're going to carry.
They are going to abolish the ability to OPEN CARRY very soon this year because it has already been approved.
When posted or otherwise been made aware of, you may not carry in any place that says so, including the premises (parking lot), you may not even leave your firearm in your car to go in because it's "on the premises"

Please tell us where you took your CPL class.  This information is absolutely wrong and we need to work with the instructor to correct it.

As for posting private property, see here: http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,25.msg23998.html#msg23998
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 03:37:05 PM »
Wrong.
Wrong.
Wrong.

Get your money back.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
Quote from: gryphon
Get your money back.

I didn't believe some of the things that were being said.  I got most of my knowledge from this forum having been directed to laws that I can read myself on some topics.  My instructor said that he's probably the biggest advocate of the second amendment.  He told us about how when you buy things owned by Pepsi Co, you are helping them fund an anti gun movement.  He rattled off several places and business like taco bell, burger king, doritos, pizza hut... ect saying that every dime you spend on them is helping fund our loss of firearm rights.

I think he may have been telling us that you can't carry open anymore, and that you are not allowed anywhere on the premises of places that list "no firearms" to get us to stop going to those places and hope they make less money in the long run.

So I'm not sure if he was lying to us on purpose to fuel his agenda, or that he just didn't know.

I just nodded my head, aced my tests and got my certificate.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 04:01:37 PM »
That may have been his misguided attempt to get you not to patronize certain businesses (although the ones he mentioned don't have "No Firearms" signs, but that doesn't explain his errors on open carry.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Questions.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 04:07:44 PM »

I didn't believe some of the things that were being said.  I got most of my knowledge from this forum having been directed to laws that I can read myself on some topics.  My instructor said that he's probably the biggest advocate of the second amendment.  He told us about how when you buy things owned by Pepsi Co, you are helping them fund an anti gun movement.  He rattled off several places and business like taco bell, burger king, doritos, pizza hut... ect saying that every dime you spend on them is helping fund our loss of firearm rights.

I think he may have been telling us that you can't carry open anymore, and that you are not allowed anywhere on the premises of places that list "no firearms" to get us to stop going to those places and hope they make less money in the long run.

So I'm not sure if he was lying to us on purpose to fuel his agenda, or that he just didn't know.

Could you tell us who your instructor was so we can help correct him?

Offline Jeff

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 04:26:08 PM »
Quote from: TheQ
Could you tell us who your instructor was so we can help correct him?

I sent you a PM

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 02:16:19 PM »
Just today I read two different people talk about two different CPL classes where the instructor told the students to use wasp spray if you can't afford good pepper spray.

<facepalm>

In addition to being a felony, it doesn't work.

http://oklahomapersonaldefense.com/waspspraymyth.html
http://wasp-spray-vs-pepper-spray.wikispaces.com/

We must out these bad CPL instructors!

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Questions.
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 03:19:17 PM »
The OP PM'd me the school info. I contacted them and inquired if that is how they teach. Here is the response:

I just confirmed with (our instructor) that we are teaching that you may carry open but we discourage it based on the input from our law enforcement officers who teach the legal portion of our class.

Though it is legal it is not always advisable.

That being said, one of our local police officers recently had a run in with one of our former students who has a valid CPL and was carrying open in a restaurant here in town, and Gary - the officer - did talk with him and recommended that he not disturb the peace in that venue by open carrying as there were a number of complaints lodged that day by clients in the business.

(The instructor) will correct his verbiage on open carry so as not to confuse the students.  I have Michigan Open Carry brochures available for all students in my classroom.

While I don't personally subscribe to your views - it's important that our students know the law.

I replied:
Thank you. I can respect what you said.

We get a bit concerned when we hear that instructors are teaching things that aren't factual. In these cases we try to: 1. Validate what we hear. 2. Correct any non-factual information that may be because of innocent mistake. 3.  Publish reviews of instructors that are willfully and knowingly teaching incorrect information and refuse to change.

The rumor that started this inquiry can be found here:

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,3118.0.html

The poster told me he took the class at your location in a private message.

Have a great day :)

Then received this:

I will make sure that confusion does not occur again.  I spoke to (our instructor) at length about it this afternoon.

I do know that the bill that they are trying to pass - the one that would allow CPL holders to carry in otherwise restricted areas with additional training - has in it a clause that would preclude open carry by CPL carriers in some instances.  Perhaps that's where the confusion came in.

Either way, I've spoken to my instructor about it and he will correct any misinformation he is passing on, or information that could be construed differently.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 08:31:08 PM »

We've established that your instructor was incorrect about a number of things; don't you wonder what else he got wrong? Do you want to take a chance that you may be in a situation that warrants the use of your firearm, but acted on bad information? I suppose the judge may cut you some slack if you say 'but my CPL instructor said....'

Ask for a refund, and take another class from a proper instructor.
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.