Author Topic: [Read elsewhere] Experienced an EPIC ND tonight  (Read 2621 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
[Read elsewhere] Experienced an EPIC ND tonight
« on: June 13, 2013, 06:23:35 PM »
This is why a shotgun is the perfect home defense weapon, because it doesn't over-penetrate.

+++++

I was in my kitchen cleaning up after dinner when I heard a strange loud sound that sounded like it included glass breaking. I thought I had broken a glass dish by running cold water over it while it was still very hot, but the dish was not broken. I decided that I'd investigate the sound later, but then the doorbell rang. At the door was my neighbor asking if everyone at my house was alright. I said that we were fine and then I asked what happened. Evidently his son was supposed to be bagging some guns to take to the range and a 12ga discharged it's payload of 00buck in my general direction. We looked at the exterior of my house and found the nice tight pattern of 00buck in my kitchen wall...about 3 feet from where I had been standing when I heard the noise. The payload penetrated the exterior siding, interior sheetrock, a cabinet wall and the pellets were found laying at the bottom of the cabinet they hit. Other than the wood it hit, nothing was broken. A couple of feet over....well I don't want to think about that. I'm 100% confident that the young man behind the trigger will not let something like that happen again, though I think it will be hard for him to stop shaking any time soon.

The point of this post is to remind everyone that the rules of firearm safety are not merely suggestions. Please follow them and teach everyone around you how to follow them. Accidents do happen but they are all preventable. This is a great opportunity to learn from another's mistake.