Author Topic: Looking in to building an AR or AK  (Read 9203 times)

Offline mrscarlet3434

• I miss my wife, badly. My sites are off. :-D
  • First Name (Displayed): Phil
Re: Looking in to building an AR or AK
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 11:41:42 AM »
Very nice rifle. I've heard of the 300 Blackout, but I'm afraid it will be a situation where the ammo will be harder to find and more expensive. I have been reading and researching as well. If you look at the 2 rifles, you will begin to realize that, exactly like you said, the AR was built as a rifle that happens to have a semi and full auto setting and is meant to reach out and touch someone. The AK on the other hand was made for medium to short range and really is a hand held machine gun. You'll notice that the first choice on an AR selector is semi-auto and then 3 round burst and finally full auto. Looking at the AK selector, whats the first choice you have? You guessed it, full auto.  And I realize the civilian versions are different. I'm just talking about the military versions. I have found that there is a lot more out there for the AR platform and it is an accurate rifle.  But I do like the heavier 7.62 round. So, I my get blasted for this one, but I have found a kit that has a complete upper, including BCG and charging handle for $535 chambered in 7.62x39. I figure when I want to just practice and plink I'll just get the cheap AK ammo, and when I mean business use the good stuff. But I am of the same thinking, when I want to shoot any other caliber down the road I will just invest in a complete upper and be able to switch on the fly. Either way I figure I am about a month or so out from having my rifle complete and range ready. I'm getting the A3 style, flat top upper. Any advice out there for rear sites, that won't be an arm and a leg to buy? Also, I haven't abandoned the Idea of building an AK from a flat. Its a case of, "Can I do it?".

Phil
Siberian Water Polo #1

"A good friend will bail you out of jail. A true friend would be sitting next to you in jail saying,"Boy she didn't look like a cop, did she?""
                       ... Rodney Carrington