Author Topic: Ann Arbor & Saline  (Read 6416 times)

Offline SimbaLion

• SimbaLion's Blog
Ann Arbor & Saline
« on: June 22, 2013, 10:11:43 AM »
Does anyone know of any local ordinances in Ann Arbor or Saline which prohibit open carry?

Offline fozzy71

Re: Ann Arbor & Saline
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 10:45:07 AM »
Local ordinances are preempted - http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(xmvrnjjqbyhu1355mlfkvd55))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-123-1102

123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.
Sec. 2.

A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

In ann arbor you need to be careful of U of M property.

Offline SimbaLion

• SimbaLion's Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 10:50:03 AM »
I see. And I see this has been defended in a case against Ferndale.

How odd it is then, that both Ann Arbor & Saline have local ordinances, apparently in violation of state law (I discovered after posting this). I feel comfortable their prohibitions are unenforcable, after reading the decision in the Ferndale case, but it disturbs me that they would pass ordinances which knowingly violate state law.

There should be criminal penalties for lawmakers who take part in such shenanigans, in my opinion. It's dishonest and clutters up the legislature with confusing and meaningless laws.

Anyhow, thanks for answering my question! o :)

Offline Jeff

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 05:49:55 PM »

There should be criminal penalties for lawmakers who take part in such shenanigans, in my opinion. It's dishonest and clutters up the legislature with confusing and meaningless laws.

I think it was the grand rapids mayor on camera saying that he didn't care if they caused confusion, if it stopped someone from carrying a gun then it's fine with him.  I'm not positive on who said it, or if that's a 100% accurate statement, but it was something along those lines.

I am willing to bet that not many of the people who write up these ordinances know it violates law.  They either don't know or don't care as long as it makes some "feel" more safe and gives themselves the illusion of doing something.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 06:19:14 PM »
Maybe the ordinance pre-dates the pre-emption law?

Offline Kutter616

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 06:58:37 AM »
I think it was the grand rapids mayor on camera saying that he didn't care if they caused confusion, if it stopped someone from carrying a gun then it's fine with him.  I'm not positive on who said it, or if that's a 100% accurate statement, but it was something along those lines.

I am willing to bet that not many of the people who write up these ordinances know it violates law.  They either don't know or don't care as long as it makes some "feel" more safe and gives themselves the illusion of doing something.

For the average citizen, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

I’m just sayin…
Gun control zealots believe that persons who would commit violent crimes would never violate a gun law.

NSA, the only branch of government that's listening!

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 12:01:13 PM »
I was just in Saline last Friday OCing in Mcdonalds and didn't know it was illegal there.
An older man approached me and asked "Did I see what I thought I saw?" I said "yes it's legal."
he said "I just thought I was seeing things."
Didn't relise I was an outlaw... oh well.  ;D
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 03:35:54 PM »

"Hip, hip, hooray if somone doesn't carry a gun in to a city commission meeting because they are confused about their rights. I'm OK with that." GR Mayor George Heartwell.