Author Topic: Anyone watching the Zimmerman trial?  (Read 62801 times)

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
Re: Anyone watching the Zimmerman trial?
« Reply #160 on: July 15, 2013, 08:33:25 AM »
If I call 911 and they tell me don't follow somebody and I didn't I know I would be in jail and found guilty. I just thank God I'm not Zimmerman or Martin. Too all carry on and be blessed

Two points.

1: Mr Zimmerman was not on the line with 911, he called the non-emergency line.

2: Guilty of what? Contempt of random city employee?
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #161 on: July 15, 2013, 10:33:17 AM »
There is also NO evidence to support the notion that Zimmerman continued to follow (not chase) Martin after he was told that they didn't need him to do that.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #162 on: July 15, 2013, 12:48:51 PM »
The prosecution is still saying that Zimmerman's statements are "inconsistent", yet the proc started the trial in opening statements saying that GZ drove his gun down into the chest of TM and pulled the trigger, yet they ended by claiming that TM was pulling away from GZ when he was shot. Of course, neither one is supported by any evidence what so ever.

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #163 on: July 15, 2013, 01:07:26 PM »
just my opinion - obviously a regrettable situation for both parties. both could have walked away. depending on which media outlet you watch the versions vary but this case was given the full light of a court of law as provided by our constitution.
the charges were given to pacify the anti Zimmerman media and protestors but I believe that the prosecution sandbagged the case intentionally. they needed to look like they were trying but left enough of a reasonable doubt gap to let GZ slip thru. the verdict is a win not just for stand your ground and personal protection but solidifies our the need for open displaying our right and need to say I will not be a victim.
as far as the race issue it is the ONLY reason it became national news. there are many cases of black on white flat out murders -not self defense- that don't get near national coverage. I wouldn't even know about them if my friends on facebook hadn't posted them. the only racial slur used that night that I heard of came from travon not Zimmerman. GZ is Hispanic not white. why aren't there protests against Hispanics over this? how is he magically white for the sake of racial outrage? travon was the initiator of the physical violence. riots over this in a stand your ground concealed or open carry state only would have made dozens more travons. fear of riots isn't a reason to convict a man for murder.
will this case and verdict change people's view on violent confrontations? yes I hope so. will it make them think twice before engaging in such activities? hope so. the criminal element will always engage in such activities and hope they are targeting unarmed victims. that isn't going to change. hopefully this case showed people what every word, every action, every intent you had before and during a confrontation sounds like in a cold light of court.
this also drives home the absolute necessity of knowledge of law, maintaining control of a situation and carrying on the activity of a reasonable person. a reasonable person is the arbitrary bar that the law sets for such cases.
I've heard of retaliation against mr. Zimmerman. stupid but doesn't surprise me. his life is forever changed and will probably spend the rest of his life fearing reprisal against him and his family. my LEO experience tell me that those that threaten such retaliation NEVER commit it. anyone with serious intent wouldn't tell you ahead of time.
I wish well for the Zimmerman and Martin families. is this a victory for self defense? yes. are you more likely to be tried for a self defense case? probably.
you don't get to choose the race or situation of your attacker. they do. deadly threats come in all colors, ages, genders and sizes. the split second decision you make scared in the dark will be scrutinized by people for months in climate controlled offices, brightly lit in high back chairs well rested and with a bunch of letters after their names telling you what you should have done. I hope this never happens again to anybody but if it is one of us then please keep this in mind. be safe friends.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline lljj

• MOC Member
  • Peter had a sword I have a 45 be blessed
  • First Name (Displayed): jacob
« Reply #164 on: July 15, 2013, 09:49:59 PM »
Two points.

1: Mr Zimmerman was not on the line with 911, he called the non-emergency line.

2: Guilty of what? Contempt of random city employee?
Funny I said if I was to call 911 me not Zimmerman
open carrying for life can't steal my freedom

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #165 on: July 16, 2013, 10:46:30 PM »
as far as the race issue it is the ONLY reason it became national news. there are many cases of black on white flat out murders -not self defense- that don't get near national coverage.

Zimmerman - half white/half minority = white
Obama - half white/half minority = minority

Actually Obama is more white than Zimmerman.  Obama is 1/2 white, but Zim is only 1/4 white.  But who's counting?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:57:29 PM by gryphon »

Offline Jeff

« Reply #166 on: July 17, 2013, 04:19:29 PM »
You know how it works.  It all just depends on if they are important/famous.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #167 on: July 18, 2013, 10:02:20 AM »
I have tried DESPERATELY to keep an open mind in this TM/GZ matter.  This has now reached the level of total absurdity.

Jesse Jackson calls for UN to investigate TM death
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
« Reply #168 on: July 18, 2013, 12:49:04 PM »
WTF???? I agree Q.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2013, 08:46:28 PM »
Justice Department places 'hold' on Trayvon Martin trial evidence, including George Zimmerman's gun - which Florida law says must be returned to him

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2369592/Justice-Department-places-hold-Trayvon-Martin-trial-evidence-including-George-Zimmermans-gun--Florida-law-says-returned-him.html

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/07/18/report-doj-puts-hold-on-evidence-in-george-zimmerman-case/

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/trayvon-martin/os-george-zimmerman-gun-20130718,0,2431785.story

Following a request from the FBI, the Sanford Police Department reported Thursday that it has halted its plan to return George Zimmerman's gun and other pieces of evidence used at his murder trial.

The move is a clear sign that the U.S. Department of Justice is moving ahead with its investigation into whether the former Neighborhood Watch volunteer violated the civil rights of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed black 17-year-old he shot in Sanford last year.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 08:56:02 PM by gryphon »

Offline Jeff

« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2013, 12:20:52 AM »
I can't wait for the south park episode of this.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2013, 08:36:32 AM »
Zimmerman's gun was black. That's RACIST!

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2013, 08:43:38 AM »
Did the robberies in that neighborhood stop after the shooting?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2013, 10:16:22 AM »
Did the robberies in that neighborhood stop after the shooting?

Yes, but the Sanford PD had a car stationed in the subdivision after the shooting, so that kind of skews the result.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2013, 10:24:29 AM »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2013, 07:45:36 PM »
O'Mara: George Zimmerman will ask state to cover $200K-$300K of his legal bills

Because Zimmerman was acquitted, state law requires Florida to pay all his legal costs, minus the biggest one: the fee that goes to his lawyers.

That includes the cost of expert witnesses, travel, depositions, photocopies, even that animated 3-D video that defense attorneys showed jurors during closing argument that depicts Trayvon punching Zimmerman.

His office is still collecting numbers, he said, but he estimated the request would total $200,000 to $300,000.

That would be on top of the estimated $902,000 that public agencies already have spent on Zimmerman's five-week second-degree murder trial that ended July 13.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/trayvon-martin/os-george-zimmerman-we-pay-his-bills-20130826,0,7750164.story

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: February 02, 2014, 04:06:13 PM »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: February 24, 2015, 06:23:43 PM »
UPDATE

DOJ closes investigation into Trayvon Martin shooting.  Insufficient evidence of wrongdoing.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/federal-officials-close-investigation-death-trayvon-martin

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #178 on: February 25, 2015, 09:12:36 PM »
I clicked on the link to see the comments...  :(
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36