Author Topic: N0 guns at MJR Southgate  (Read 8476 times)

Offline FatMan

N0 guns at MJR Southgate
« on: January 03, 2011, 03:15:59 AM »
Had a dinner date New Years eve cancel last minute because of a sitter issue. Fine I thought I'll go catch a movie.

So I go last minute over to SouthGates MJR20 on Trenton road buy my ticket (the place was packed) as I pass between the ticket booths, There is a huge group of teens to my left I start walking that way and rather then force my way thru I turn and go to my right.

Well I'm right in front of a information table and there is a linebacker/blazer jacket wearing security guard who motions to me asking me to come over to him. He says something to the effect I'm sure your licensed to carry but you cant in here.Then pauses and says that it is not legal. I state that he is misinformed that I can and have at least 8 times in the last past 6 plus months. He says that all he knows is that its not allowed and that I can speak to a manager if I like. I say yes I would if he can get one fairly quickly as my movie will be starting any minute. There is one right there with him but he is busy with a couple who apparently thought the 3d film they saw stunk.

So the "refrigerator" pulls a tiny walkie talkie out of his 5xL suit coat and calls over another manager. This manger arrives fairly quickly "tiny" explains whats going on and the manager turns to me glances at my glock and says yes all I have to do is go secure it in my car and come back in.  I let him know that I am not willing to do that. Ive been in here many times in the past year and know that the staff has seen me carry. n fact on one occasion I had even seen staff point it out to what I assumed was a manager and there was not a problem. Nothing was said to me then.

He says he doesn't know about that, it obviously wasn't him (the Mgr) but this is private property and they have a policy, I asked if it was corporate policy and he said yes. I said you may be private property, but you are open to and invite the public do you not and you have allowed me in here on no less than 5 occasions in the past 6 months I have been armed every time. He mumbles something and says that all he is asking is that I simply go back out to my car and leave my gun there. I told him I wasn't going to do that and that the safest place for my pistol was in my holster on my hip. I told him that I had by now missed the start of my movie and that I would be leaving as soon as they refunded my ticket. He said he would be happy to. He took my ticket and was back with my cash in less than a minute.
Why do you carry that handgun every place you go? Cause it's lighter than my shotgun.

Offline Bronson

Re: N0 guns at MJR Southgate
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 04:08:41 AM »
It sucks but it's private property and as the law is now interpreted that means they can allow or disallow at their whim.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 11:02:13 AM »
I've encountered more than a couple security guards working in PFZ's who think it's illegal to carry there(I don't hold it against them, lot's of LEO's don't know it either). Any attempt to educate them on the spot is useless. Unfortunately, when it comes to private property we all have a choice to make...follow their rules and disarm or leave. Depending where I am and how important the task is I'm doing, my decision varies.

Offline CrossPistols

• Legal Musings
  • Charter Member Mundy Twp.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 04:42:40 PM »
 @ Fatman, be careful on Private Property a refusal to leave or disarm could result in a Trespassing charge.  Private property trumps state law on possession, that is for private property owners protection.  Plus as you said they are "Inviting" you to do commerce, you technically don't have a right to Shop. or at least violate the owners right.  Remember Private property is just as important as the right to Keep & Bear.

@ Bronson, Interpreted is for Poetry, and Lawyers, I say that is the way the law is intended to read. You make it sound like Private Property is a bad thing..lol

Bottom line "I'm pulling for ya, we're all in this together!"
Hotel Sierra Lima Delta!

Offline FatMan

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 12:58:22 PM »
Your house/apartment is private property a movie theatre open to the public is not private property. If its private can they stop irish people or black people or libertarians or lutherans from coming in, no they can not. Likewise they should not stop law abiding constitutional open carrying paying customers.
Why do you carry that handgun every place you go? Cause it's lighter than my shotgun.

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 01:50:17 PM »
Your house/apartment is private property a movie theatre open to the public is not private property. If its private can they stop irish people or black people or libertarians or lutherans from coming in, no they can not. Likewise they should not stop law abiding constitutional open carrying paying customers.

TOTALLY AGREE. If you can't stop on basis of race, ethinicity, gender, why should you be allowed to be stopped for what you have in your possession (if the law allows whats in your possession).

Offline CrossPistols

• Legal Musings
  • Charter Member Mundy Twp.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 09:42:10 PM »
That's the tragedy of the civil rights act, it is so Unconstitutional.  I get the whole Private/public issue. In the real world private is owned by individual tax payers, and Public is owned by taxpayers as a whole. In Michigan you have to go by what we know. If you go into as you both think is a theater open to the public, but owned by an individual taxpayer and they ask you to leave because you have a fire arm, you have to leave or you will be violating Michigan Private property rule, and you will be charged with the Trespassing.  City Hall can't ask you to leave, but A Movie theater can.

Personally I believe in the right of the people to be secure in their Persons, Houses, THINGS, AFFECTS, and Papers
Hotel Sierra Lima Delta!

Offline Hawk

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 05:54:15 PM »
There's no equality when it comes to Open Carry. There's a social stigma that gets perpetuated by mass media on a daily basis. Just because you see someone with a firearm doesn't mean they are some crazy person that wants to hurt you.

I was just about to go see a movie here, but am rethinking that decision. And I know the security guard you are referring to; I've seen him there before. I feel like if they want to restrict what I can bring into the theater, then people shouldn't be allowed to have cell phones that ruin my movie going experience when someone wants to sit there and text the entire time.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 09:33:46 AM »
Keep in mind, the OP was some time ago. It may be worth trying again.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 11:49:56 PM »
I was going to pass over this necro thread, but two things irked me....

Not true, a movie theater and any other non-government owned property/business is private property.

TOTALLY AGREE. If you can't stop on basis of race, ethinicity, gender, why should you be allowed to be stopped for what you have in your possession (if the law allows whats in your possession).

What you mention here is a protected class.  OC is not a protected class.  You can take off your firearm, you can't change your race, ethnicty, or gender.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 11:57:42 PM »
Many of the people who originally posted in the spread no longer post here. Necro-thread closed.

Start a new thread and reference this one if you would like to discuss the topic some more.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).