Author Topic: Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job  (Read 4655 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job
« on: June 27, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
Before the call that changed Sergeant Timothy Gramins’ life forever, he typically carried 47 rounds of handgun ammunition on his person while on duty.  Today, he carries 145, “every day, without fail.”

At the core of his desperate firefight was a murderous attacker who simply would not go down, even though he was shot 14 times with .45-cal. ammunition — six of those hits in supposedly fatal locations.  He finally hit him three more times in the head.  That finally stopped him.

The cop fired 33 rounds in total (or possibly 43, there's a discrepancy in the story.  Supposedly he carried 47 rounds and fired all but four). 

http://www.policeone.com/police-heroes/articles/6199620-Why-one-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job/

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 12:45:44 PM »
Daaaaaaamn!
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 12:56:48 PM »
Question: why'd he dump .45 for 9mm?

I carry 9mm and I'm curious.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
Re: Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:11:09 PM »
Yet we only need 10 rounds, or 7 in New York.  Why don't criminals comply to our laws and die within the legally allotted capacity?

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 09:19:03 PM »
gun owner... liberal friend says there's nothing wrong with NY limits, because if you're a good shot, you only need one round

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 09:51:41 PM »
Question: why'd he dump .45 for 9mm?

I carry 9mm and I'm curious.

My guess is the 33 round 9mm magazine strapped to his vest.  I've only seen Glock magazines up to a 13 round magazine in 45ACP.  There may be other manufacturers offering more rounds, but he may be limited to "official" manufacturer equipment.

Since his BUG is a Glock 26, the mags become interchangeable.

My $0.02
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 10:01:11 PM »
I think the story has a typo.  LEO carried with 37 rounds, not 47.  He carried two spare mags, so a Glock 21 w/2 spare mags is 40 rounds.  He shot 33 rounds leaving four unfired.  That equals 37.  I figure he downloaded each mag to 12, so 3x12 + 1 = 37.

Since you can carry a lot more 9mm ammo than .45ACP ammo, I figure that's why he changed.  9mm is also easier to shoot, and has less recoil so faster target re-acquisition.

145 rounds of .45ACP would be very bulky and heavy.  I imagine 145 rounds of 9mm is bad enough.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 10:06:23 PM »
His BUG Glock 26 is a 10 round magazine. That may be where the 37 vs. 47 discrepancy comes from.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 10:32:59 PM »
Ah, thanks.  I didn't read to the end of the article.   ;D

Offline Jeff

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 08:23:30 PM »
Wow that was a scary story.

and...

Yet we only need 10 rounds, or 7 in New York.  Why don't criminals comply to our laws and die within the legally allotted capacity?

LOL, good one man.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 10:21:08 PM »
This is impossible! In the movies the bad guy always dies after the first round (slowly) to allow for multiple follow-up shots for the viewers. Seriously, I was talked down on another board for carrying two extra mags & a bug...? Some people just don't get it...one never knows what amount of force will be needed until it's needed! Who says it will only be one bad guy trying to kill you? Always better to have & not need vs. need & not have.
;)
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 10:59:03 PM »
Sure puts the lie to the "If I can't get it done in six or seven rounds..." fantasy.