Author Topic: Open carrying with Qik  (Read 5295 times)

Offline jfmi87

Open carrying with Qik
« on: April 17, 2013, 04:25:53 AM »
I installed Qik on my phone from the market (not an included app on the phone), and it works. Sorting through some older posts on 'open carrying qik' it turns out that unlike before, videos can now be deleted from the phone through the app. I put a PIN lock on my phone so I can hopefully hit the button and it would prevent access to the phone and app, but recording will stop but still whatever I recorded up to that point will have automatically been uploaded. I figure next best thing is to have Qik upload to my (previously unused) YouTube channel where it is out of reach, and a test of that was successful too it did it automatically. I don't OC for YouTube fame obviously but it's safe there.

So I guess I don't really have a question, just wanted to put that out there. With access to the phone an unscrupulous LEO can delete it from Qik's server, assuming he isn't a huge Luddite. I never hope to have any encounters, but cops range in all spectrum from dirty low-lifes to straight up professional, either way it's always their word against yours/mine.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Open carrying with Qik
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 09:56:28 AM »
I've heard this claim before and asked the person who made the claim to provide step by step directions to delete a video (that's on the web) from the app.

They were unable to give me these directions. So I'll ask you the same: please give me step by step directions that back up your claim.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline jfmi87

Re: Open carrying with Qik
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 12:13:57 PM »
In Video Gallery, tap and hold a video from the list until a menu pops up and choose "Delete". A popup will confirm to delete it permanently from the phone and the online gallery.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Open carrying with Qik
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 12:48:15 PM »
In Video Gallery, tap and hold a video from the list until a menu pops up and choose "Delete". A popup will confirm to delete it permanently from the phone and the online gallery.

In the video gallery I click the video I want (iPhone). I then click "Delete Video". I get a confirmation window (which I confirm) but the video remains both on my phone and online.

Maybe the "feature" is broke on iPhone?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
Re: Open carrying with Qik
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 02:00:48 PM »
I'm getting frustrated by Qik on my iphone 4s :(

I have a PW lock on my phone.  If I close the screen in any way with Qik running, Qik stops recording.  If I don't close the screen, the PW lock won't time out.

And yes, you can delete the video while it's running.  An LEO is unlikely to know how to delete it, and if they intentionally or unintentionally shut it down, the lock may have a chance to take over.

Suggestions?