Author Topic: St. John's CCW class misinformed  (Read 7341 times)

Offline faldain

St. John's CCW class misinformed
« on: July 02, 2013, 02:13:45 PM »
My friends wife took a CCW class in St. John's at the VFW last weekend. In it, she was taught that it is illegal to open carry in a theater, even for CCW permit holders. I am not sure how to go about initiating a discussion with the instructors, as I know that it is perfectly legal to carry openly in a theater if you have a CPL.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: St. John's CCW class misinformed
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 02:33:40 PM »
Invite the instructor to see a movie with you.  :)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 02:39:52 PM »
Know the instructor's name?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Jeff

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 06:12:08 PM »
Don't feel too bad.  Mine told us that we are never allowed to OPEN CARRY ever again, that we forfeit the right to OPEN CARRY by getting a CPL.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
St. John's CCW class misinformed
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 06:19:09 PM »

Don't feel too bad.  Mine told us that we are never allowed to OPEN CARRY ever again, that we forfeit the right to OPEN CARRY by getting a CPL.

If you could start a thread about your instructor, his name, where you took the class, when you took it, etc. and then we can link it in our CPL class review thread and warm others if bad instructors. We have to root these guys out!
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 09:21:47 PM »
His first name wasn't John I hope?
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Jeff

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 03:07:42 AM »
If you could start a thread about your instructor, his name, where you took the class, when you took it, etc. and then we can link it in our CPL class review thread and warm others if bad instructors. We have to root these guys out!

I was thinking about it but I am afraid to because this person knows people on the mandatory gun board in macomb county.  Almost everything he told us was wrong because I looked most of it up myself after the class. 

Offline Bronson

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 03:45:25 AM »
I was thinking about it but I am afraid to because this person knows people on the mandatory gun board in macomb county.

How would he know who outed him?  I know a lot of people named Jeff.

If he is THAT misinformed you need to contact the organization that is certifying him as an instructor and see about getting that certification pulled.  His bad information is going to get somebody in serious trouble.

Bronson

Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 08:06:32 AM »
His bad information is going to get somebody in serious trouble.

+1. Which could then hurt the rest of us.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 11:47:40 PM »
I was thinking about it but I am afraid to because this person knows people on the mandatory gun board in macomb county.  Almost everything he told us was wrong because I looked most of it up myself after the class.
Most instructors have classes on a weekly basis.  if they have 15-20 people in each class, chances are after a couple weeks they will have no clue who you even are...  I know that i challenged quite a few things my instructor said (specifically open carry at school with cpl, he told me i would immediately go to jail).  I saw him less than a month later at cabelas and said hello... he had no idea who i was. 
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive